Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Single Parents

Old 10-12-2002, 05:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dating As a Single Mom

I have been divorced for 5 years. I dated a little soon after I was separated and not much since then. I dated a friend I know through work for several months earlier this year, but that did not work out(he was inconsistant in calling when he said he would, etc. I just don't have time for that),
but what I did learn from that experience is that my kids (ages 9 and 10) are ok with me dating.
Now I am kind of ready to date, but I meet very few single men.
So who moves in across the street? Single man, attractive, same age as me. We have been talking to each other quite a bit and there definately seems to be chemistry and interest on both sides. Our problem is that we live across the street from one another!
Do we try to see where this goes? or just remain neighborly? We have actually talked about this together and are just not sure how to handle it. It could be quite fun on the one hand, or very uncomfortable on the other. He's on a business trip right now and I've been thinking about this this week.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

well, from my marriage-crossed experience, my own relationship with a darling dh, was to be good friends and whatever else - but we kept our own houses for a long time until we decided that we could live together and be good friends too...it's worked wonderfully...i like having a best friend around than a husband!

carol
Old 10-20-2002, 01:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Neighborly Love

I cannot stress enough to you to keep it neighborly. Take it from one who didn't a while ago and it was terrible when we broke up. When he started dating again, I had not even had a nibble, so I was alone, depressed and a little jealous. I remember all those nights while home trying not to look out the window and see if the girl had gone home or not. What a bad memory! We were attracted to each other at the beginning and I could see getting serious with him, but then out came all the skeletons and all the set in his ways habits that I couldn't stand and the next thing I knew, we had broken up.

Bad, bad, bad news. That's just my opinion and my experience. I'm sure that someone has better news for you.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hi! My advice is to take it slowly....enjoy his company, go places, just like friends would, and give it time to see if there is anything there or not. You'll know, trust your instincts.

janet

A kind word never broke anyone's mouth.
~ Irish Proverb~
Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

well this was back from 2002, if you are still here, please post and let us know what you did and how it went.
I'm curious to know.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Contest Moderator
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Me too bar-bar! I hope she is around and will let us know!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'd say start dating the neighbor. How convenient that you don't have to drive across town, using a lot of gas, to see each other. My husband and I lived in different towns, with him just across the state line. So, we were "burning up the road" as he called it. to see each other. After 2 yrs of dating, we married and he moved into the house I just bought! I'd say God put this man in your neighborhood for you.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I met my 2nd husband thru friends and we lived 4 doors from each other. We have been together for 16 yrs now. Married for 8 this year. We dated then bought a house together. We both had kids that we where raising. At the time we meet my kids where 3,4 and 7 his son was 13. We wanted to live together for while to see if we could make this family worked. Had a ruff time at first with the 13 old boy that never had a mother. But now he is turning 30 this year and we have a really good relatioinship.

It was a learning thing for all of us. We had good days and bad. The key is to spend time alone as a couple dating. My kids use to go with there father on Wednesday nights for a few hours. That was our date night. We would let the 13 yr old home or go to a friends house and we would go to the movies or dinner. That was our time to get to know each other. We even did that when we lived together for years. On the weeks we would do things as a family to get to know each other.

Charlotte