Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 12-11-2002, 10:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi All

Wanted to give an update on my situation....

Im finally getting a little more sleep! I bought new pillows for our bed and they seem to be doing wonders. Im also doing the milk or tea thing before bed and it really does help. I still toss and turn a lot but things are better than they were.

Thanks for all of your advice !!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Great that you are getting some sleep now ajrsmom. New pillows do the trick for me too, along with milk or tea.

It does make a difference when you get enough sleep.

janet
Old 03-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I read once - and I don't know if it is true - that when you get your hours turned around, you can't just start going to bed earlier. What you need to do is push your bedtime later and later, and finally just don't go to bed 9:00 or 10:00 p.m. And then go to bed at that hour (whatever you choose as your regular bedtime) REGULARLY, or you will be back in the same place you are now. I don't have a problem getting to sleep, but if I do sleep restlessly, then the next night I drink a mug of hot chocolate - and that knocks me out for the night!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Talk about shaking things up a bit.... My dh is doing a month of daylight schooling so that means we have to live by "normal" workers hours this month. lol! I went to bed at 9:00 pm last night because I was exhausted. We've found something else out....after 15 yrs. of sleeping together just 2 out of 7 days of the week because he usually works night shift, we don't like sleeping together all of the time. hahahaha. He likes to sleep with a fan running, I hate it. I like to spread out in the bed and wrap the covers all around me.

Give and take...though...right? We're making it work, somehow!!

I will give the hot chocolate a try, too!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrsmom View Post
I cant believe it....all of a sudden I cannot sleep at night! I cant find a comfortable position to lay in on the bed and when the clock hits midnight, Im wide awake! UGH!

I know that I am a night owl by nature but it is starting to create havoc on with my family since DH works the midnight shift and needs to sleep during the day. Not to mention that I have a 5 yr. old at home.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions on how to get back to normal? I am normally up until 12:30-1:00am but this is ridiculous....were talking 3:00-4:00 am now!

I love this site but Id rather be here with the sun shining on me instead of the moon ! ;-)
Suggestions:

Ask your Physician for an Optimal Thyroid test... standards test could show that you are in normal ranges for T4, were as the optimal tests all of the T zones associated w/Thyroid activity.

If you aren't very active in your day - try walking for about an hour give/take through out the day... you might just have pent up energy.

If you have caffeinated beverages/foods after 12:00 PM / Noon time, stop... change it to something without caffeine in it.

If you are watching Television after 8 PM stop this also.

Try turning the thermostat down to 66* (if not already set there).

Try reading a book that you know wont require a lot of brain activity to read

Try counting slowly to 100

Ask yourself a question that you may not necessarily need the answer to right away, but has been weighing heavily on your mind.

Good lUck and HAPPY !!!
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I've never heard of "pushing your limits" when normal sleep schedule gets redirected... I'll have to look that one up later, especially since all of my previous research regarding sleep habits of children (part of my Early Childhood Education and training - Teaching degree) describes all the signs of sleep deprivation in children based on stresses within their family life (illness, death, missing parent, constant moving etc), and even signs of adults being deprived of natural sleep (equinox, Daylight savings time related), and all of them suggest not napping during your normal wake cycle, change eating / drinking habits, and exercise more /less than normal routine.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
If you were older I'd say MENOPAUSE is the cause. I don't know how many women I have spoken with and they all say the same thing. I can't sleep at night. So it's got to be hormones. So being pregnant or just having a baby might do the same thing cause your hormones are all messed up.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleys grandmom View Post
If you were older I'd say MENOPAUSE is the cause. I don't know how many women I have spoken with and they all say the same thing. I can't sleep at night. So it's got to be hormones. So being pregnant or just having a baby might do the same thing cause your hormones are all messed up.
oh please!! no more babies!! I'm 42 and not going there again!! I'm thinking perimenopause is probably setting in. Out of the blue the other day, my Mom told me that she hit menopause at the age of 45 - no symptoms before hand, only that she had missed a few periods starting at 43. She had my sister at 40 so she thought that she might be preggers again. I don't think that I'm going to luck out and go the "no symptoms" route. I will probably get her symptoms and mine! lol.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 08-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Head Moderator

bump

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life