Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-26-2002, 10:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

ajrsmom...

Umm.. when did this start? When your husband started working midnights?.....
what time do you go to bed?
Have you been taking naps during the day?
Have you cut out all caffiene? soda and coffee and tea?
Do you have some worries and concerns that might be keeping you up?
A warm bath and some milk help relax you..
Chemically induced sleep ( sleeping pills) is not restful
I suggest that you discuss this with your personal physician.
Some biofeedback may be very helpful .....*s* or he may refer you to a sleep clinic that can assist you. They have some great techniques....and may have the answer to your restless nights

I know it's rough when you can't sleep. Been there done that...
It starts when you start your changes with some people.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 11-26-2002, 11:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sleeplessness

Having had this happen to me, my cure was to stay up all night and nt go to bed until the following night at the same time that my kids went to sleep 8 P.M. I slept like a log and woke up feeling great. Now I just read before I go to sleep with a glass of milk. Works like a charm.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Your hormones may be out of balance. Look into a natural progesterone cream. Visit www.johnleemd.com for more information about all of the benefits of natural progesterone cream.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:44 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

ajrsmom:

If you are still having trouble, talk to your doctor at your next pre-natal appointment.

Being this was posted in the newsletter...I don't think it was clear that you are pregnant, so you may get some responses that may not be appropriate.

Let us know how you are doing!

Jen

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 11-26-2002, 07:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Jen, You are right...I blew it with the title to this post. Im going to edit the title now and even though it wont change in the newsletter, maybe it will help.

The milk seems to be helping a bit!! I remember reading somewhere a while back that milk contains an ingredient that helps with this condition. For the life of me though, I cant remember what it is.

I could say that stress might be a factor but I think more than anything, it is my body adjusting to all of the changes. Dont ya just love those hormones?? ;-)

Gonna hit the milk soon tonight, I have an early morning!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 11-26-2002, 08:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

milk contains Tryptophan .....

Drinking a glass of warm milk before bedtime is a time-tested way to bring on sleep. Experts believe the amino acid l-Tryptophan (found in milk and other foods such as turkey and eggs) makes eyelids heavy by raising the level of a chemical in the brain called serotonin.

Relaxation techniques suggested by your physician may help, like biofeedback, yoga, stretching....and anything to relieve stress or anxiety as long as it is with your doctor's approval. *s*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 11-26-2002, 11:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son is 4 now and I have been struggling with insomnia for a long time now.. I too am a night owl, and my guy works 11 pm to 9 am shift.

I get my son in bed by like 7 then Joe goes to work at 10 pm.. then I have my alone time. I think for me a lot if it is the quiet. time to think. time to be myself, read the news, answer emails, have adult conversations, check out Family Corner. I can sit here half the night reading the threads.. LOL My brain just wont shut down.

Anyway. I had to find something to do that puts me to sleep. usually its mahjong solitaire on yahoo games, or any solitaire. it is so monotinous that my brain just shuts down. I can usually get to bed at or around midnight instead of 3 am by playing myself to sleep. I tried a herbal suppliment for awhile but was groggy the next day all day.

Good luck. I hope you find what works for you.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh, for a whole night of sleep......

I was reading the replies to your post, and I have tried all of them. I suffer from Insomnia, too.

You might try MELATONIN, which you can buy at the health food store that helps you sleep deeper. Gave me wild dreams, though! I have tried a lot of things from prescription medicine to sleeping pills.

The doctor finally put me on an ANTIDEPRESSANT, since insomnia is one of the symptoms of depression.

Some nights, I get desperate and I take NyQuil or Benadryl or Tylenol PM. LOL! When you're desperate for sleep, you'll try anything. I have laid in bed awake ALL NIGHT LONG before. I've read that if you don't fall asleep within 30 minutes to get up and read or clean or do something monotonous until you get sleepy again.

Good luck!!!

Susan
Old 11-30-2002, 11:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi! Im not pregnant or dare I be! Ha Ha! Im 46, and my kids are all grown and gone, but not that far gone! Those "hands" still show up for something or another!

I for one have sleeping probs too, as you can see, its 12:30am here, and Im wide awake as always! I cant go to sleep unless I am absolutely bushed! Last nite was one of those nites because we had Thanksgiving dinner on Friday because of my girl's commitments. I would rather have Thanksgiving Dinner a day later in order to be selfish and have them all to my self all day instead of sharing!!!!
We have been doing this for about 5 years now, and it has worked out great! It took the girls to stop feeling guilty for not being here on Thanksgiving day, but I finally convinced them, that it is better all around! Plus thestores are open if I forget anything! My hubby and I take T-day and make it special for us by having Prime rib, or Crab, just something special for the 2 of us, like a date with candles and everything!
I did order and try a natural sleep aid from internet, its called "Sleep E.Z" I got it and took it to my doc and asked him about it, and he did not see any problem in trying it, as I am on alot of meds anyways. Its from a company called "Naturex" and its at www.naturalgoodness.com. It has made me drowsey enough to drift off, so I think it kinds of depends on how tired you are in first place I guess. But when I have been wide awake, It has worked, and its all natural stuff. Just an idea.
I do live by Excedrin PM, but not for pregnant women at all.

I just feel so guilty when I dont go to bed when hubby does, but doesnt do him any good for me to be tossing and turning when he has to get up at 4:00am!!

Good Luck! I know how you feel! I would rather have a good nites sleep and get up early in morn, I love that time!
Old 12-05-2002, 04:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Whether you're pregnant or not........Several ways to deal with insomnia: Try to exercise every day. Incorporating a 30 to 45 minute walk into your day will add incredible benefits to your over-all health, as well as your sleeping parterns. Also try drinking Camomile tea half-an-hour before departing for bed. Follow this up with a hot bath and a trashy novel! Are you familiar with meditation practices? If not, surf the web for infomation on breathing exercises and mediation procedures. "Belly Breathing" (from your diaphram) promotes deep, sound sleep. Please, always check with your doctor before trying any OTC drugs while pregnant. Besides.....taking any non-natural drug to help you sleep is only a temporary solution. It only masks the problem, it doesn't fix it. I hope this info is beneficial to you and I wish you all the best! Margo :p