Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-06-2009, 03:34 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sharing your birth experience.

Please share your child birth experience with us. How many children did you have? Did you have natural child birth, caesaran? Did you have your children in a hospital, birthing center, home deliver? Was your spouse or somebody else in the delivery room with you?

Charlotte
Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I've had 2 children. Both in the same hospital...my son was induced labor, my daughter wasn't.

I was determined to have my son naturally with no meds until I starting peaking at over 10 on the labor pains!! I waited until the last minute before begging for a shot! With my daughter, it wasn't a question from the start...give me the shot!

After having one, I wasn't worried about the birthing part of the second one. I waited at home while having labor pains, until I was 5 minutes apart in contractions, before calling my doctor. When I talked to him at the hospital, he thought that I was mistaken about the times but he told me to come in. Sure enough, I was right and he was in shock. lol! (Never doubt what a Mom feels, right?)

My husband was with me both times. With my daughter, the was a group of training doctors doing rounds so they were with me for a while, too.

My Mom was outside the room waiting both times, the second time my son was with her.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-07-2009, 03:02 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I had 4 miscarriages. My oldest son is a stepson. He came into my life when he was 13 yrs old. Teenager years were a killer. He got a mom(he never had) and 3 younger siblings. He no longer was a only child.

I had 3 other children. I had natural child birth with all my children and no meds.

My son was born here in PA in a civilian hospital. It was a Friday night and my due date. My water broke at home. I was at the hospital about 1 hr and he was born. My husband was with me.

My older daughter was about 10 days before her due date. She was born in a military hospital in NC. My husband was deployed over seas. I had a girlfriend with me. I was at a doctor appt and they did a non stress test. They found me in labor and made me stay. I was at the hospital for 6 or 7 hours. Once they broke my water the baby was born 20 mins. later. She was almost 4 months when she met her daddy.

My younger daughter was 6 weeks early. Thank goodness my husband was home this time. I had her in the same military hospital in NC. We were at the hospital only minutes before she was born. I had her in a treatment room. Not the best place for delivery. She had a cleft lip and palate. She had her 1st surgery at 10 months old.

Charlotte
Old 10-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Charlotte, that is quite the history!
I have had 3 children and a miscarriage. I had had an ovarian cyst removed at 4 months with my first. My incision was from belly button to hair line and did not stop bleeding until she was born. She was 7 days early and took 4 hours. I told my husband to jump on and let's make another one! The nurse dropped a bed pan! lol
My second (the only one planned) was also 7 days early. My labour was 2 hours with him. My water did not break until he had crowned. His cord was wrapped around his neck and he was blue. He was incubated for 4 days and then he was fine.
My last was a huge surprise. I did not find out I was expecting until I was 5 1/2 months. I was still having monthly cycles and no weight gain. I had miscarried a twin at 2 months, but just thought I was having a really bad period. I had also had a nuclear bone scan with an allergic reaction, and I was on strong arthritis meds. My dd was born 7 days early, again, after 3 hours of labour. She is truly a miracle.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 10-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Assistant Moderator

2 boys
ds1 is 19 in a week, he was 11 hours from contractions to birth, being born at 12.46pm.
Natural birth with only the gas mask, which we found out later the tube had fallen out and didn't make much difference anyway!
He was 5 days early.

ds2 is 15 in Feb, he was almost 4hours from me nearly fainting in my dinner plate to being born at 10.14pm (we also had a huge summer storm that night and dh came home to a leaky roof)
Natural birth, not even gas as by the time we got ds1 off to g'mas for the night, grabbed my bag, and got to the hospital 40 mins away, checked in, sat around for a bit waiting for a bed, then before I knew it ds2 was born right on the day predicted.

Wow some great experiences here!

Old 10-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have had some interesting birth experiences to say the least.

Ds#1 was a full term stillborn. I went into labor 7 days before my due date. Somehow the cord got looped into a knot and as he came down the birth canal it tightened cutting off his air supply. The Drs did a great job of delivering him as fast as possible, but it was too late. This was 26 years ago before routine ultra sounds and in a small rural hospital with only an oncall surgeon. My Dh was there with me through the whole ordeal.

Ds#2 was born natural in the same hosiptal 1 year and 10 days later (I actually had the same due date for my first two babies). I was in and out of labor at home for two days before going to the hospital. My water broke at the hosital shortly after I arrived and Ds was born in less than a hour.

Ds#3 was 10 days late. I had a fever the day he was born and the Dr induce my labor because of that. I was in labor about 8 hrs when they noticed that the baby was stressed. Ds cord was so long that even though it was wrapped around his neck it was still slipping into the birth canal first and then as the head came down it would cut off his air. I was in a larger hospital this time and I had an emergency C-section. Ds had to be put on antibiotics right after birth since I had a fever. I on the other hand didn't actually get sick until the day before I was to go home and then I spiked a 104 temp. I was in the hospital 8 days and Ds was there for 10.

Dd#1 was a planned C-section. I went in 1 week before my due date. Dh was with me all the way. Everything went great.

Dd#2 was another planned C-section. The only problem we encountered was the surgeon had an emergency surgery first so Dd was born a little later than we thought.

I miscarried in-between the two girls. It was very early in my preganacy.

I am truly thankful for my children.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Big Grin 3 so shall it be !

All 3 were born at home. 1st and 3rd w/ midwives and husband present. Regular labor and delivery. 1st 2 wks late on coldest night of year, 3rd right on due date in 100 deg wether w no air conditioning. No meds w any of them. 2nd one born at home 1 wk early,w friend present, husband at NASCAR race. Longest labor 24 hrs after water broke alerting me to his arrival plans to his delivery. Definite cone head there. lol . All healthy and taken to pediatric within few days birth for checkups. Otherwise no major doctor interventions cept reg checkups.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Nine Year Member

My best friend was my lamaze coach because hubby had no interest in being there for the delivery. The last month of my pregnancy, I had gestational diabetes. I had to cut out ALL sugar. My Dr had me going to the hospital every Fri and they would put me on a fetal monitor for about 20 min to check the heart rate. About a week before I delivered, I started having intermittent contractions. So of course it was time to put the car seat in the car. It was funny because we would do a little bit then have to pause because of a contraction. All during that week they kept coming on and off. I had an appt at the hospital on that Fri to be put on the fetal monitor. That morning the contractions were coming again and more often, still not that close though. When I went into the hospital @ 3pm for my test, the nurse said "you're staying here". My lamaze coach couldn't be with me because she had a real bad cold. Hubby had taken me to my appt so he ended up getting roped into staying. He sat in a lounger reading a book the whole time I was in labor. I kept thinking that the pain wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Of course, I hadn't gotten to the heavy duty stuff yet. They had given me an i.v. for pain when I was at the last possible moment. The point where it's 'take it now or you don't get it at all'. After they did that, I started getting sleepy in between the contractions. At one point the doctor broke my water to move things along. The nurse forced hubby to help me push by holding me up. Then the dr realized the baby was in distress every time I pushed. The umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and when I pushed it was choking him. Since he was already in the birth canal, we couldn't do a C-section. She sliced me open down there so she could get her hands in there better and get the cord off his neck. They took him off to the table off to the side. First words out of hubby's mouth (mad at me) "It's a boy". He had wanted a girl. He was born at 8:58 pm. They brought him to the nicu and put in an iv (in the top of his head) because he had a blood infection. He stayed in the hospital 4 days. I was in for 3 days because my white blood cell count was high. Not that I actually left the hospital without my baby. I just moved from my room to the nicu.
Even with the problems, my son has never been very sick. His biggest problem was the repeated ear infections during his first couple of years.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have two dds.

DD#1 was born three days before her due date. 7 hours from the time my water broke until she was born. I was lucky enough that I did not need any meds.

DD#2 was born one day before her due date. 3-1/2 hours from the start of contractions to delivery. DH was at work so he had to come home. My friend who was going to take care of DD1 had to work and couldn't. We had to call my MIL who had to come in rush-hour traffic. We ended up taking DD1 to the hospital with us. She was there for about 20 minutes and wanted to go home. DH took her home, fed her some dinner, and waited until MIL got there. He ended up walking into the delivery room just in time to catch DD2 and cut the chord. Again, no pain meds.

I have been very blessed. DD1 will be 20 in March. DD2 will be 17 in May.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Dd was 10 days early and born after 36 hours of labor (but only 10 hours of hard labor). I thought labor was a breeze until the doctor broke my water. A nurse came in and got my using my breathing techniques and all progress until it was time to push and i was just too tired. I told the doctor I was done and just wanted to go home. But once they told me the baby's head was crowning my attitude changed and I don't think I ever pushed harder in my life. Dd weighed 7 lbs, 7 oz. I had an episiotomy and had to go to an operating room to be stitched up.
Had a 3-day stay in the hospital.

Ds1 tried to come out much too early (2 mos early) so I was in the hospital a couple times so they could stop my labor. Had to take Terbutilane for a few weeks to prevent contractions and that worked but ds1 still ended up being 3 weeks early. His labor was quick - about 3 hours of hard labor (the doctor broke my water) and he weighed 7 lbs. 10 oz. He was a difficult birth in that he was face down rather than face up so it was painful and he was blue when he was born but ended up being just fine. They treated him as a premie as he was 3 weeks early but his weight made me not think of him as a premie at all. Stayed 2 days in the hospital before coming home.

Ds2 was only 3 days early. I was wondering if he would ever come out. Had contractions off and on for days and finally when I went to the hospital they said it was time. The doctor broke my water and the labor lasted about 10 hours. He was my biggest baby - 8 lbs 12 oz. but my easiest delivery. I was bopping around the hospital room not long after deliveyr and felt great which was good because I only got a 1 night stay.

the doctor broke my water for all three births and each baby was a completely different birthing experience. My dh was useless through most of my labors as he "napped". He said he had to reserve his strength for the hard work (what hard work?) He did help with delivery and cut the cord for dd and ds2 but ds1 because of how he was positioned had to be done quickly. My mom was in the delivery room with dh and me for dd' birth. She was a great help but very bossy. I had my mother in law come in for ds1 so she could have a turn and let my mother babysit dd. My mother in law was very helpful and much less bossy than my own mom so she also came in for ds2 and again my mom babysat dd and ds1. It was nice having both dh and either my mom or mil in the help during labor. The funny part is, when ds2 ws born my father in law was also present. That was a bit unexpected but i said "oh well" so he got to see a grandchild get born, something that was not allowed back when his own children were born so it was a great experience for him.

~Mother Theresa

Last edited by Sammi1961; 01-17-2010 at 04:26 PM.