Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 01-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Summer Camp for GS

We just got our flyer about Girl Scout summer camp. For several reasons my daughter (a Brownie) will not be going to GS camp this summer. But I know she is going to be disappointed, especially since her brother (4 years older) will be going to BS camp. I'm trying to think of some ways to soften the blow....
Old 02-01-2004, 07:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, I have 2 girls(7 and 9 yrs old) that are Brownies and I am a Leader for both of their troops.

My back ground- My mother was very overprotective with me (I am the oldest and have asthma) I was a sheltered child and wasn't allowed to do much as a kid. Also I went through a lot to have my girls (2 miscarriages, problem pregnancies, can't have anymore children). So I am overprotective too but I don't want my children to miss out on an opprotunity to grow and learn.

I don't know the reason you are not going to send her to camp, or her age. Is her brother going to the overnight camp (core camp)? Is there a day camp available for her? Could a friend go with her? could you?

I wouldn't feel comfortable sending my girls to regular camp yet-no leaders or parents. I would send my older one to Core camp- where their leaders are there(per safety wise ratios) I would send them even if I wasn't a leader and wouldn't be there.

We have had a cluster camp and what I've been through even with the first graders from another troop(my daughters first grade troop didn't go) I would send her to this, even if I wasn't there.

You could tell her you as her mother think she is not ready yet. And you want to have some special time with just her!!

Let me know how it goes. My husband has been helping me to let them go and experience life a little.

Good Luck!
MotherTeresaof2

p.s. I didn't get my camp booklet yet.
What council are you in. We are in the Huron Valley Council in Michigan.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We're in South Jersey Pines Council.
The cost for GS day camp is prohibitive...it would cost us more to send her to day camp for 5 days than it will cost to send her big brother to Boy Scout overnight camp for 7! Also, he works at fundraisers and money goes into his "campership" so that money comes off his camp bill. The leaders for his troop go to this camp with the boys. Last year DH went (he's a leader) but his school schedule won't allow that this year.
Since we also have a toddler, I cannot help at the camp and it doesn't look like we have anything like the "core camp" you describe. I guess we'll just have to plan something special for that week.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Barbszy - Just curious as to how much your camp is. Ours is $45 but could use cookie dough towards the cost. I was late in getting ours in, due to having to pay for cub scout camp also, so am voluntering the whole week as that is one way to insure a spot. It has been fun as this is our first girl scout camp. I am with an older group but we see each other hiking or going to activities. GS camp is a lot less structured than the cub scouts. Thank goodness it has cooled down a little here. DD is a little more use to camps as she has been a pixie at cub scout camp for four years when I volunteered there.

Our camp provides snacks, bus to and from camp if wanted, dinner and breakfast for the one night of overnight camping and one lunch cookout. Of course they have crafts and other activities.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 06-22-2004, 03:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

For day camp it's $160 PER WEEK, plus $50 if you take the bus. If you don't take the bus--then you have to drive 45 minutes each way.

Last summer my son went to Boy Scout sleepover camp for 7 days for only a little more than that~
Old 06-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barbszy - OUCH! I am with you there would be no way I could have afforded that one either.

I failed to mention on ours that DS also gets to go and is in the Boys Unit and it does not cost extra. He has been enjoying it.

Cub Scout week with no overnights was $65. You do have to drive and depending on where they hold the camp it can be from 20 45 minutes away. My Pixie was an extra $10.00. So I consider the Girl Scout Camp a true bargin.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 07-04-2004, 07:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Camps and Scouts

Hello ladies

My ds has been in cubs for three years now, he is finally a Web II, so, this was his last year at day camp. I let him volunteer as a ranger in the mornings, as his sessions did not start until 3 pm. Cost of ranger was 10$, included a shirt and water cup. Then, his Twilight session of Webs cost 40$ (up from 35 last year), and it was a drive back and forth deal, too, and oh so much for gas.....

That same week, dd was away on her first Girl Scout Summer Resident camp. Cost to us was 50$ from Sunday to Friday, she got financial aid for the rest of the 220$ that was due. Praise God, b/c I don't know if we would have been able to foot that bill.

A good time was had by all, just very busy. Hope your scouting summer is great, we are looking forward to going bowling for our Sportsmanship badge.

Be blessed,
beckie
Old 07-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

beckie - glad they both enjoyed the camps. How old is your DD. Our DS are about the same age as he is now a 2nd yr Weeblo.
Congrats on getting the financial aide for camp. If ours was that much I would have to do it too.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Howdy, RedCardinal....

Sorry so long to get back with you...

DD is 8, going into third grade. She just started Brownies this January, and she absolutely loves GS.

Does your son enjoy the scouts? Mine does sometimes, and sometimes not. I really wan thim to go to Eagle, but, I guess I should not make him do something he does not want to. This is his second year of Web's now, and he seems bored. Maybe when he transitions over to BS, the newness will grab his attention. It sure grabbed mine! They are talking about going to Europe in 4-5 years!

Take good care,
Blessings,
beckie
Old 03-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

GIRL SCOUT CAMP SCHOLARSHIPS

From what I understand most Girl Scout Council's offer scholarships for summer camp. I have been told it is very easy to get a camp scholarship for Girl Scout camp also.

My daughter, who is now nine, has gone to Girl Scout camp day and overnight the past couple years. She absolutely loves them. She sings the new songs she learns all year long. They learn the cutest songs. I am hoping that she can continue to go to Girl Scout camp, either day or overnight, each year and that when she gets old enough she can be a CIT.

She has had other camp experiences but nothing compares to Girl Scout camp as far as we are concerned.