Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 04-23-2003, 09:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Post Mother/Father's Day

Hi! I am need of some help from all of you Girl Scout leaders or coleaders. I am looking for some ideas to do for their moms and or dads for their day? Please help me I have some ideas but as I am running out of time I don't know what to do so I am turning to y'all to see what ideas i can come up with. So send me all your ideas and the things that you have done in your troop. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks Jeanne
Old 04-24-2003, 03:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Reply to Shawn

Dear Shawn,
Hi! Thank you for some help but it didn't help a lot for I am a Leader of Girl Scouts and most of those ideas didn't help. So if there are anybody else out there that knows where i am coming from then would you please help me out. I have a Junior Troop of girls from grade 3-6. The mother's day i think i have that figured out but if there are any other idea then please reply to this thread. I am still trying to figure out what to do for the dads considering I don't know who has fathers and those who don't have fathers. Thanks for your help Shawn but i still need more help. Jeanne
Old 04-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Cookbook

I remember one year our girl scout troop made cookbooks for our mothers. The cover had a picture of the troop and it was laminated. Each page had a recipe from each kid in the troop with a poem or drawing on the opposite page. It turned out really nicely. My mother still has this cookbook about 18 years later.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Small scrapbooks make wonderful gifts for parents. The girls can make their own 6X6 or smaller. Have the girls bring in pictures of themselves with mom or dad for whatever day you are doing the album for. They don't even need a lot of pictures. Put one picture on the page and have them write a note on the opposite page about the picture or draw something that goes with the photo.
Melissa
www.misstonigifts.net
Old 05-01-2003, 04:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My suggestion for Father's Day is to go with FOOD! Cooking can certainly go toward some Junior badges. Some suggestions: make homemade bbq sauce, flavored popcorns, candied nuts, fudge (find the FC recipe for choc cherry fudge - yum!), beef jerky, etc. Girls can decorate the containers and make cards to go with the gift.

Have fun! dawny
Old 05-01-2003, 05:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi,
Our troop painted wooden picture frames and took special pictures of the girls. For Father's day -- I agree with the food! The quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach!!!LOL
Old 05-01-2003, 06:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Project ideas

Being a former leader of both organizations, I use to have the kids choose from one project and go ahead and build it with volunteers help. Some of the projects are 1/ a banana tree to stop bananas from rapidly browning( it looks like a hang-man shape with a small screw in hook on the end) 2/ a tool box for Dad or a cleaning caddy for Mom (the pattern consists of 2 house shaped ends, a cut broom handle for the handle and 3 rectangular pieces for the sides (I still use mine today) 3/ a recipe book compiled by recipes from friends, family and other members of the group (I cherish mine) 4/ a bird house 5/ a weaved washcloth using wool in the old over, under, over, under checker board style 6/ a hand print in plaster-of-paris then painted with why they love Mom or Dad 7/ A bat house to keep away those pesky bugs 8/ a step stool. Most of my pattern came out of my head but you can find patterns on the net by just typing in what kind you are looking for in the search engine. I hope this helps. If you ask local lumber businesses they would be glad to help out by donating or selling at cost for such wonderful organizations. Note: the bat houses were so popular that many would be placed at our camp ground and the town hired us to build them & put all around our town. 1 bat eats 4000-7000 misquitoes a day.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Reply to one and all

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your wonderful ideas i will most definitely use them. Hope you all have a wonderful week. And if you are a mom Happy Mother's Day to you. Thanks Jeanne