Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 02-07-2003, 10:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ideas ???

My little sister is in Brownies, and they are wanting to do a international badge of some sort. They are looking for ideas of crafts or toys that are made in other countries...any ideas ??? Please let me know

Winnie
Old 02-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Assistant Moderator

Winnie
I will have a think on it for you. My son was in cubs scouts.
Kathy

Old 02-15-2003, 07:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

international crafts for Girl Guides/Girl Scouts

Hi I am a Canadian Girl Guide Leader. I am a Guider for 2 units, Sparks (5-6) Guides (9-12). My spark unit just did Guiding around the world, and one of the countries was India. The girls made wind chimes.... very easy. A lot was pre done. Basicly you take 3 different sized tin cans, and punch a hole in the middle of the bottom. (of each can) you then take pipe cleaners and cut them so they are about 3 inches. (these will be the needles to thread the yarn and the thing to hold the cans onto the yarn) You will need about a yard/3meters of wool/yarn.

Start with the smallest tin first...you take the pipe cleaner and tye with a knot with the yarn. Wrap the pipe cleaner around so that it will hold the can. Then get another pipe cleaner (needle) and make a J shape that will hold the end of the yarn you will thread into the hole of the can. Next take another pipecleaner and tye it to the yarn just above the first can. Repeat these steps until all 3 cans are attached.

I believe this is also on the BC Council web page www.bc-girlguides.org

YIG
Old 02-17-2003, 09:27 PM
Assistant Moderator

Winnie,
How about book marks made out of scraps leather or thick green cardboard cut into the shape of a gumleaf/eucalyptus leaf for a book mark or several hanging with some brown beads for nuts and have it hanging as a mobile. Koalas eat eucalyptus leaves.
Very Australian mate .

Old 07-25-2004, 01:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

brownies

i am a daisy leader taking my troop into brownies this school year and i like your idea for the eucalyptus bookmarks. this may be one of our projects this year.

njmomof2
brownie leader gssjp troop2172

Old 02-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Nine Year Member

Try checking out MakingFriends.com.

They have lots of craft ideas for all ages of scouts. Also have paper dolls that have costumes from other countries.

Vicky
Old 04-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, while this thread is so old, I m sure your sister has aged out of scouts by now :-)

For international day we brought in various types of traditional food, and made drawings of the traditional dress of each country the food came from.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 PM

Are there any new badges in Brownies these day?

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I can't be a tester any more, though it was fun when I did it in the past. I had bariatric surgery six weeks ago (doing great!!) and need to eat a different sort of diet. Mostly poultry and fish with low-fat sauces. As for carbs, veggies and fruits only. It's not hard to do and I love that the pounds are melting off. Maybe I'll be posting a few recipes of my own~!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:19 AM

When Miriam was in scouts, the leader had each girl make a food item from their heritage. One girl was German, she made her families favorite German food. Can't recall what it was.