Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 12-26-2002, 08:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

studio 2B vs cadettes

Any other scout leaders out there know anything much about the new Studio 2B program that is replacing Cadettes/Seniors next year?

My girls love the charm bracelet idea instead of patches. Has anybody ordered the new books? Nobody around here has seen the new materials yet!

dawny
Old 01-05-2003, 02:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have only seen the initial mailings -- I am hoping at our next SU meeting they will have some samples as our closest council office is 45 min. away. I wasn't sure I liked the name change/idea -- but after being a leader for 7 years (now of Juniors) and a scout for many, many others, I guess it is hard to change! However, I mentioned the charm idea to my girls who will be bridging up this year and they LOVED it. Seems they want to get charms because wearing the vest with patches is too embarrassing -- GS just isn't cool for older girls. I am interested in seeing what the requirements are for each charm -- I do know the charms are MUCH more expensive than badges (books, also) so that would have to be something to keep in mind. I have noticed as my girls get older that their effort in and sales of cookies has diminished. This year we sold only half of what we did last year cause so many girls complained they were "too busy" (and again, probably a bit embarrassed to be going door to door).

This is my last year as a leader. I need some time off, mainly from all the paperwork. I have had problems this year with getting parents to register so I don't have to purchase additional insurance AND I have several parents who can't/won't be drivers for field trips. I am not the adventurous sort -- I like to work on meetings but am not good at planning field trips farther away from home and I feel the older girls need to get out more than I am willing to help with. However, with this new program, whose to say that I might not step back in again in a year!
Old 01-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My girls will be bridging this year too. They HATE the uniforms, and won't wear them. We tie-dyed tshirts to wear - which is MUCH COOLER, and they even wear them to school. (Technically, all you need to be in uniform is your pin.) They are really psyched about the charms. I'm going to order the Studio 2B books after we get some cookie money in!

We don't have regular meetings anymore, we just have projects and field trips. And only FUN stuff, like sleepovers (cook, do nails, etc.), cooking lessons, marching in parades, community service projects (disguised as craft activities or field trips sometimes), Christmas caroling, etc. We gave the girls a long list of council events at the beginning of the year, plus a list of community service projects, and they chose what they wanted to do. There is always something to learn at these activities, and all build self confidence, but we try to keep it fun - like a club.

Second semester we're going to work with some Brownie troops so the girls get some leadership experience. Teach them crafts and songs, etc. Have a similar problem with drivers, so now we make them meet us a the location, or find their own ride with another mom.

We're having two booth sales to sell more cookies because we have the same problem with diminishing sales. One sale is schedule for a Friday night, and we'll probably have a sleepover afterwards to encourage participation. We'll probably appeal to the council for additional fundraising options once we bridge. I think they let Cadettes do other activities with council approval. They all want to babysit (too young to do it on their own), and most of them have been to the Red Cross training (another field trip). We've talked about a Parent's Night out, where girls and moms bsit younger kids at a church. Haven't checked into the liabilities though.

Maybe you could find an older girl scout who would like to be your 'assistant' leader. They have lots of energy and enthusiasm. Ask around at your leader meetings! Good luck! Dawny
Old 01-07-2003, 12:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Your idea of only having field trips or service projects is great -- would probably work especially well for Studio 2B, which sounds more like a "club" anyway! Right now, I'm better off doing twice-a-month meetings (right after school), as my husband travels and I have a son that I would have to find someone to stay with him if I planned alot of things on weekends or evenings (no near relatives either).

I like the idea of making girls get places on their own, but again, most of the council activities are in the next big town 45 min. away, so that wouldn't work -- no one would show up. In fact, if I didn't have a carpool with another mom straight after school I'd probably lose half my troop because of so many parents working. I've tried later meetings and then I lose girls to sports activities. I've pretty much used up all my local ideas, we did do a lot of meeting day trips last year that went well but there aren't many things to choose from around here. I have a mom who attends every meeting and plans all the crafts, but she admits she has no desire to take leader training or deal with the rules/paperwork. I had thought about getting an older girl to help, but the jr. high & high school get out later in the day and by the time they came to the meeting it would be almost over.

Sometime this year we will be moving several states away to a much larger city, so I still want to check out the Studio 2B supplies and keep that as a possibility after we settle in -- I know my daughter would like that and she could get to know more people in a new town.

Our SU meeting is next Monday so maybe I'll see some info then.