Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 07-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi I'm not in girl scouts but My boys and I are in boy scouts. I have a 3 year old daughter I plan to put in the girl scout program when she gets old enough. Scouting is a good program. But like all programs it takes team work. From the leaders (Which are mostly a parent who as a kid in the program)

My son Jacob is going in to is 2nd year in the troop and Michael is a 1st year webelbo Michael started as a tiger cub. Jacob started as a wolf. So we have been in it a while. And plan to be in it till each turn 18 years of age. To us Scouting is a commentment. We singed on and we plan to finish the trial. I believe my sons are learning a lot from the program. Yes sometimes they tell me they want to quite but I tell them we are signed on were finising the trail. The next week thier glad I didn't let them quit. As a Leader it can be hard wok. Thier the training and the time, planning and trips. But when you hand them boys ther awared it all worth it. Or the smiles and hugs you get when we do a trip or event. In my Pack the kids call me MOmma Bear. I've moved up to Webelo Den Leader 1 our protrol group called the Dragons. So now my boys calling me Momma Dragon or Dargon Lady LOL's. Some still calling me Momma Bear.

Sorry be long winded. Just wanted to say scout #1 with us.

This be Tree

What type of training do you do to be a gril scout leader. I have boy scout leader training under my belt.?
Old 07-02-2003, 01:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Reply to Tree

Tree,
It varies on what level but here is what Brownie level takes;
You train about Girl Scouts, then the level of Scouting, then what it entails to run a meeting then through out the year you will have other training which involves our annual fundraisers and you need to First Aide/ CPR. Then we have a training for campouts. That is all the training that i have had to take since i have been a Leader and i have been in it for 3 years now. So if you have any more questions please feel free to email me at [email protected] i would love to help you and everyone else that may need my help or need answers. Thanks and May God be with you. Jeanne
Old 07-02-2003, 04:35 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
My son joined boy scouts at the same time that my daughter joined the girl scouts. I have to say that the two programs are very different. I don't know if it was my daughter's leader that made it different or what but my son had certain things he was to do to work towards his badges. He worked and got awards.

My daughter, and the rest of her troup, received just a few badges over the course of the year. I think if my daughter had been in the boy scout program, she would have loved it. oh well...

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 07-02-2003, 05:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks Jennie

In cubscout I have had essentirail training, Baloo which is good for 3 years (This one you have to have to take the boys camping) Child safty & protection, Swimming & water defense(Good for 3 years) Plus I attend the Pow Wow each year that as classes on stuff needing to know. Plus I attend the round tables each month they consider contunie training in helping the boys.

Rose I'm just learning about the girl scout progrom myself. I plan to be part of it soon my daughter gets old enough, So I haven't learned all the badges and merit the girls can earn. In cub scout and boy scouts there a lot of arrows and merit badges a boy can earn. BUT it takes work. A Leader can plan their meeting and work on these things. But It take the oy to add his 2 cent into to complete the work on his own. Or get his parent to help. I have 4 boys in my Den. 1 boy Jacob big in 4-H too. His father big in cattle and a Argculture Extension guy. So Jacob don't come to the meetings as much. Plus he don't work in his book at home much either. So he don't earn as much as the others. I hated it but that the way the cookie crumbles. Starting our new year we went to cubscout camp. My boys when to 4 classes a day. aqunauts, readyman,nartrialist, and world conservation. Out of them for My son Michael completed and was awarded 3 pins and badge, But the other 2 boys only recieved 2. This ended up like this because the skill of the boys in swimming.

All Leaders do different. I know some feel if they get a few badges on there kids uniform then that fun thier more aimed at doing the camping and cook outs and playing games. Then you got leaders that just work like a class room school type setting tring to rush thru to get the badges or pins. Me I go for the badges and pins but also all the other too. I encourge my boys if the want more they can work on it at home. so much as to be done at home any way. Like keep a record of what you eat for a week. Plan a menu with your parent. My advise is too serch the scouting program. on rewards. I found a site for my Jacob on all the merit badges he can earn and what he needs to do for them. There a place simlar for girlscouts. I wish I booked marked it;-)

This be Tree
Old 07-02-2003, 11:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Post Reply to Shara...........

Dear Mrs.Roseof Shara,
Each girl in Girl Scouts have to complete activites: for instance Brownies they have to complete 4 activties in one badge and Juniors they have to complete 6 activities. That is all i have to add right now and i agree with mommabear it is almost like boy scouts.
Mommabear- that camp that your boys went on sounds like an Encampment in Girl Scouts which happens every 2 yrs. and it is a big camp I just finished my first Encampment.
If any of you need help or have any questions please feel free to email me at either [email protected] or [email protected]
hope you all have a great year in Scouts.
Jeanne
Old 07-03-2003, 04:10 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I'm sure it's as someone else said, each leader is different and makes the experience different. Anyway, it's a moot point because she's not going to rejoin next year. My son, on the other hand, loves boy scouts and will definitely be taking it all the way.

My requirements for my children are one outside activity per semester. If she would rather choose sports, that's fine with me as long as she's got one activity that she's trying hard at.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 08-21-2003, 07:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I read all teh other posts and as you can see, we all believe that it is never to late to join GS! I am a 2nd year Brownie Leader and one of my Brownies sisters used to come with her mom to pick her up from the meetings...she is very shy but loved the things taht we were doing. Very long story short..she joined our troop as a Cadette this year! She is 13 and atthis age they learn about leadership and responsibility. She has to do a certain amount of community service and such so this works out well for all of us in the troop. All the girls love her! She has told me now that she would like to earn her silver award..I think that is AWESOME!!
I also agree with the leader bit, you have to have a dedicated leader. I tell my girls that as long as one girl wants to go or do an event..I'm there!
I would also like to mention that GS has one of the easiest financial assistance programs to apply for that i have ever ran across and it is confidential. I see posts of single moms and such. They could help provide for uniforms, events, and insignias too. I think 1/2 the years dues as well for those who need it.