Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 06-27-2003, 04:44 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
We got her in a troop this past year. She had fun... but didn't have a blast. When I asked her if she wanted to do it again next year, she hemmed and hawed and finally said, "I don't know Mom. Let me think about it." Which, as we all know, means no but I don't want to hurt Mom's feelings.

So... it was worth a shot but didn't work out terribly well.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 06-29-2003, 01:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Reply to being 9 yrs old

Hi! i have been in Girl Scouts now for 3 yrs and i am enjoying my time as a leader every year. I was also a Girl Scout when younger. My daughter was 9 when she started, as a brownie. But it doesn't only matter on the grade it can vary for the ages too. Up here it is $10.00 to join this year. I also agree with the one lady who says that the parents don't get involved, this is so true. All 3 years i have had problems with parents getting involved it seemed to me like they just wanted a babysitter for a couple of hrs so they could get things done or whatever. Now here in Alaska i don't know about else where but 7th graders are not going to be Cadettes they are going to be Studio2Bers. I hope your 9 year old can find a troop that she can be in and be happy in. If anyone is looking for a troop there are alot of websites out there that can hook you up to a troop. Or if not and you have alot of time on your hands join as well for you as well as your daughter will enjoy being in Girl Scouts. if there are any more questions or concerns please feel free to email me and i will help one and all of you out here is my email address, even if your daughter wants to be a penpal there are troops up here that would love to be penpals so email me at [email protected] and i will be happy to help you out as much as i can. Thanks Jeanne
Old 06-29-2003, 01:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mrs Rose... maybe she would enjoy 4H instead...they are a great club with a different angle... If she likes dogs, they have a program to raise a pup for those that train for the blind or handicapped....... or perhaps she'd like to raise a different animal.

They have many projects.. here is a start...

Perhaps they can put you in touch with a club near you.....

http://www.cce.cornell.edu/chemung/youtharticle.htm

I don't know if the Camp Fire girls are still around, but they were a nice organization too.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 06-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oh yeah! Put your daughter in Scouts! I loved being in the Girl Scouts and I'd love to be asked to go on a camping trip with one of my GD's. My DD was a Scout, but she has to work except for now she's busy being a new mother, but she'll be back to work and unable to help in just 7 1/2 weeks. If you can go camping trips with your daughter, by all means do it. Scouts are one of
the finest things you can do for your daughter!
Old 06-29-2003, 05:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think scouting is great for kids, as long as the leader is dedicated. I was a girl scout for three years, until I started high school. My daughter started as a Brownie and I took over as leader during her second year when the leader didn't continue. I hadn't been particularly happy with how she ran her program so I decided to give it a try and really enjoyed it. We stayed in through two more years as Junior's until we moved to another area.

I wasn't working at the time and could devote a lot of time to planning activities, etc. As some others have said, getting other mothers involved, even to provide snacks but especially driving to outings, was hard. The last year I did have an assistant leader and that helped. Just having another adult around to supervise is almost necessary if you have more than a half dozen girls.

Enjoy.

"Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." ~Anne Frank
Old 06-29-2003, 05:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Girl Scouts

I know you've received a lot of responses...but as a Girl Scout Leader I couldn't help to add my response :p My DD is going to be 12 in August and has been a girl scout since she was 5! When she joined, I joined. I was in girl scouting when full uniforms were the norm...just goes to show you how old I am I can't begin to tell you how rewarding (not monetarily) girl scouting is for girls (and Moms too). My DD was shy and just sat back and didn't say too much...well, now she's just bridged to Cadets (or Studio2B). This past year in Juniors she completed her Bronze Award (the highest award a Junior Girl Scout can earn) in a community service project that helped children just coming into Foster Care. I am sooooooooo proud of her. Girl SCouting allows girls to be the best they can. They try all sorts of things (in fact Brownies have "Try Its" as their badges that they can earn). Please find a Troop for your daughter and yourself!

Browniemom
Old 06-30-2003, 04:51 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello,
My granddaughter joined girl scouts last school session when she was in fourth grade, She was nine years old and thoroughly enjoyed it. They did many many different things and field trips.
Petunia
Old 06-30-2003, 05:18 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I thank you all for your responses. In this particular case, however, I do believe Girl Scouts has "had it's chance." Every time I ask her she says, "ummm.... Let me think about it."

It looks like Sports is going to be the "outside activity" for her.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 06-30-2003, 06:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Its never to late to join scouting. I was leader for 15 years and I had girls joining at all ages. So if she wants to start now let her and encouge her. My daughters are still using things that they learned in Scouting. My olderest daughter is working with kids as a progaming directer at a state parking using the games, songs, stories and crafting ideas that she learned while in scouting. So as to repeat it is never to late to being scouting. Have a good day
Old 06-30-2003, 07:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just an added comment for the child's future.

I think it also looks good on an adult's resume that she/he was involved in Scouts. This goes for college and scholarships, too, I believe. The more years in, the better.

Scouting is a good thing because you do learn a lot that you will use throughout your life.

"Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." ~Anne Frank