Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 08-22-2002, 07:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Camp Fire Girls

Are there any women out there who were Camp Fire Girls when they were younger? Nowadays I hear a lot about Girl Scouts but very little about Camp Fire Girls.

I was one from 3rd grade through the 10th. Our group name was Kitawasi and my own name was Pamshukia!
Every winter we sold Camp Fire mints and Almond Roca!
And every summer I went to Camp Wakoma in Purdy, Washington! I couldn't wait to be grown up so I could be a counselor like my favorites...Keema, Cinamon, Skeets, Daisy, and Jules!!! They were all of 18 and 19 years old!!! I thought they had the coolest jobs in the world! (I was a camp councelor myself in the summers of 80 and 81!)

Remember our Motto!: "Worship God. Seek beauty, give service, and knowledge pursue. Be trustworthy ever in all that you do. Hold fast onto health and your work glorify, and you will be happy in the law of Camp Fire."
peace, the trainlady
Old 08-23-2002, 08:09 PM
kellyandkids

new and improved?

That's because they are secular and mixed gender now. I don't know what they call themselves anynore but kids that age want to be separate boys vs girls in my experience.

Might as well join 4H and get the great 100 year history and support of the county extension service.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:56 AM
Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Groupie

I lived in Michigan when I was a little girl and I remember campfire girls. I was only one for a year and I really don't remember anything about getting a different name. I have wondered over the years why I haven't heard about them, also. I did a search and came up with this web page. http://www.campfire.org/all_about_us/
They are now called Campfire Kids.

"Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements."
- Marcel Boulestin

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 08-24-2002, 05:05 AM
Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Groupie

I just finished looking through the site. I realized that I was actually only a Blue Bird for that year. (Maybe that's why I don't remember getting a name). And I also realized that it must have been when we lived in Toledo, before we moved to Michigan. I do remember asking about Campfire Girls, and they apparently didn't have them there.

"Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements."
- Marcel Boulestin

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 08-24-2002, 02:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Campfire Girls

I was in Campfire Girls as a child and enjoyed it. I took the Indian name Kinakara (sp.?), which means gazelle.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle little rabbit Foo-Foo hopping through the forrest...

I went in as a Blue Bird in second grade (in 1968! )
and got into Horizon but their were no groups in my school so I kindda dropped out but I still remember beads, Russel Stovers candy, and patches !

"3 little angels all dressed in white,
tried to get to heaven on the end of a kite . . ."

Ah-ah-she 'Chipmunk'

Last edited by BLTN_Mom; 08-25-2002 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

"...scooping up the chipmunks and bopping 'em on the head...

Hey BLTN mom I was a 1968 second grader ,too! Yea for Camp Fire!!!
peace,train
Old 08-28-2002, 02:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

i was in blue birds and camp fire girls and adventurers when i was small living in indiana.

we live in arkansas now and i am a girl scout leader.

in indiana the country girls were camp fire girls and the city girls were in girl scouts.....

those were the days..... we sold candy and could roam the streets with out worry.....now selling gs cookies...... you dont dare send them out alone.

tab
conway ark
Old 08-29-2002, 05:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Was in Wichita Kansas

Good Day to all . I was a campfire girl in wichita , Kansas. I even have some of my "beads" that we earned. I was in a troop in the Riverside area. and still think about them today.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh my goodness - I had forgotten all about the motto, but as I was reading the words the tune came back to me just like it was yesterday. Thank you, trainlady, for bringing back the wonderful memories! I started as a BlueBird in Shawnee Okahoma and continued with Camp Fire Girls until we moved to Houston TX in 6th grade. (Never could find a group in Houston.)

Now I'm a cub scout leader and I'm still using some of the skills I learned way back in 1969-76. (Building campfires and flipping pancakes hasn't changed a bit!) I even still have my uniform - skirt, shirt, vest - with all the patches and beads.

Thanks for the memories!

Le'Ann (aka Tal-tali-tahinka, my Indian name which means Deer Running)