Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 11-23-2002, 05:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

milk carton candle?

Hi BLTN Mom, my former Camp Fire Girl Friend!!
Did you...or anyone else...make those candles out of milk cartons where you pour ice into the container? I am trying to remember how to make them so I can show my nieces...I thought it would be a fun Christmasy thing to do!
Peace,train
Old 11-23-2002, 05:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I used to make candles, even took a few classes in the 70's. I still have made candles when I have old candles to melt down.

Now with the ice cube candles in a waxed milk carton...I first put a taper candle, or a cylinder candle...as the core, it has the wick and everything you need. Check the dollar store, ours have plenty. Melt wax and add whatever color you desire, fill the waxed milk carton with ice cubes...the bigger the cubes the more holes it will make. I sometimes crush some into smaller pieces of ice. Next pour your hot wax into the waxed milk carton that contains your core, ice, and fill to the top of the carton. Let cool, depends on the size. I usually wait till the next day. Then tear the carton off, usually in a sink or outside if weather permits. (there is water in the carton from the ice cubes.)

There you go! Ice Cube Candles! Have fun

janet
Old 11-23-2002, 07:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Camp Fire

Although I wasn't a Camp Fire girl as a youngster, I am now a local camp fire group leader. Camp Fire adopted the name Camp Fire USA effective last year and, yes, it is open to both boys and girls. In our group, the youngest and oldest groups have both boys and girls in the group. The middle ages, 4th - 6th grade, are separated. I happen to have the boys group and we have lots of fun. We recently had a overnite outing at Camp Fletcher, the Camp Fire camp in Birmingham, AL. It is still a great organization for kids. BTW, our group is comprised of all homeschooled children. Just thought you might want the perspective from an active "Camp Fire Girl"! (We begin each meeting by singing the Camp Fire motto!)

Apryl Swafford
Old 11-24-2002, 06:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks, Janet...those are exactly what I remember making!!!
I think it will be a fun craft to do with my nieces!

Hi Apryl, what a pretty name you have and I love how you spell it!! Thanks for sharing about your current Camp Fire USA group...it is great to hear they are still active in some parts of the country! I have precious memories of my young childhood days in my Camp Fire group!
Take care and peace,trainlady
Old 11-24-2002, 08:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh I remember making those candles! We tied a piece of wick to a pencil and let about 3/4" of the wick lay on the bottom of the carton. When you removed the carton you turned the candle over and picked the wick out of the wax. We also did this in a funnel; we used green wax and had a tree !

Old 01-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I received the coolest book for Christmas entitled:
"Sleepaway, the Girls of Summer and The Camps They Love"
by Laurie Susan Kahn.

It is so awesome, full of pictures, stories and memories of girls at summer camp!! I love the pictures from the 60s and 70s which is when I attended summer camp !!!
A GREAT book for any former Camp Fire Girl or Girl Scout who has treasured memories of attending camp as a child!!
My weeklong stays in Gig Harbor, Washington at Camp Wakoma are my favorite childhood memory!!

peace,train
Old 08-08-2006, 08:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have Camp Fire Girls and Boys Programs in Ohio Still.
Amber Joy Imhoff CM#1132
NOAH’S ARK WORKSHOP

Traveling “Make-Your-Own-Stuffed-Animal”
Ask about our NEW Bella Bee Glamour Girl Character Building Workshops!
Great for Birthday Parties, Camps, Scouts,& more…
Visit us on the web to book your workshop today:
http://www.noahsarkworkshop.com/amberimhoff1132
Seeking Crew Members Nationwide!

Old 05-12-2007, 11:50 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Camp Fire Girls to Camp Fire USA

It would be nice if Camp Fire could have their own category as it is not a part of the Scouting movement. I have been a member for nearly 50 years and a current member of Camp Fire and a long time alumnus, would never look under Scouts, or under Campfire, one word. That is likely the reason there is so little here from Camp Fire advocates.

In a few minutes I am off to see six young women earn their Wohelo Awards, Camp Fire's highest youth award for members of the group program.

Yes, Camp Fire has diversifed, which is a requirement to remain viable in the current world we live in. In addition to group and camping, Camp Fire has day care centers, Teen outreach programs, teen Service Learning opportunities, Self-reliance programs and much more.

When I joined in 1960, Camp Fire Girls began in 2nd grade, which was then called Blue Birds. When Camp Fire began in 1910, girls had to be at least 12 years of age. Now we have children at age 3 joining groups and participating in the preschool readiness programs. I will start my grandson's group this fall, which will be my 4th group that I have led.

Camp Wakoma holds memories for many adults in my area. For some not well thought out adults sold it off, in a council that continues to have issues today. Yet the council to the north flourishes and Camp Sealth still creates memories for several thousand children each year.

For those who do wish to reclaim some of the beauty they enjoyed in their youth, they should set aside September 15th and 16th 2007, and join alumnus from all over the country at Camp Sealth on Vashon Island. I can promise you that each attendee will leave with such a renewed spirit.

For more information check out the website for Central Puget Sound Council of Camp Fire USA. Links can be found on the national website too.

Like all of the changes you have made in your life, you have stayed true to the quality person you are, well the same holds true for Camp Fire. Our beloved organization still holds the belief that giving service, making friends, and reaching for the horizon are the core of Camp Fire. You will see that that remains true, while the children we now reach out for are found in many different places.

Contact me if you have any questions......Wohelo Forever