Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 08-30-2002, 06:22 AM
Nine Year Member

I was a Bluebird too. I still have my beads and scarf from my uniform. The leader we had used to do a lot of crafts with us. I loved it! I think I was only in it for a year...

I don't think they have them around here anymore
Old 08-30-2002, 09:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have my Mom's leader scarf; she was co-leader with my best friend's Mom when we were first year CampFire ( Trail Seeker, then Wood Gatherer, and then Fire Starter ).
I have my indian dress with the beads, candy patches and day camp patches...

"Worship God, hmhmhmmmm;
seek beauty, give service and knowledge pursue,
be trustworthy ever, in all that you do . . ."

( I am trying to do this from memmory. . . without hunting up my book )

Ah-Ah-She - Chipmunk

Last edited by BLTN_Mom; 08-30-2002 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I was in it for a short time when I was little but only have a few memories since I was so young and wasn't in it for very long. I remember how to make the campfire motion with my hands and that WOHELO stands for work, health, love.

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I remember singing that WoHeLo song whenever we had a ceremony to recieve our beads!!!
I still have my beads and Camp Wakoma patches.

Does anyone remember making situpons, holiday favors for nursing homes or doughboys?
peace,train
Old 09-27-2002, 01:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I will be digging up some of my old campfire memories...of cooking around the campfire on my camping trip next week!!
I am sure I gained 10 pounds at the fair 2 nights ago and will probably put on another 10 while camping LOL!!!

Remember doughboys? You wrap bisquik dough around a stick and cook over the campfire. Eat with butter and jelly!

How about peach ponies? Put a half of a canned peach in aluminum foil put a marshmallow in the hollow of the peach and sprinkle with a little brownsugar. Wrap tightly in foil and put in coals just a few minutes until the marshmallow melts!

Shaggy dogs are my favorite!!! Roast a marshmallow.
roll in melted chocoalte.
sprinkle with shredded coconut and eat!!!

Banana boats.....slice a banana lengthwise in its peel. Put some mini marshmallows (OK, so I Like marshmallows!!!...when I was a kid I would make taffy out of them!!!!...and some hershey chocolate pieces in the slit. Wrap tightly in foil and bake on hot coals about 5 minutes!!!

OK, I think I've get dessert figured out and now I should start working on the meals!!! LOL!!!
peace,train
Old 09-28-2002, 12:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

You're making me hungry.....lolol
The doughboys sound like fun!!! The peach ponies sound good - forget waiting until I go camping I think I will try that in the oven! Shaggy dogs would be hard for me to get into - I love to burn my marshmallows... LOL The banana boats I remember doing and I do those in the oven too!

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 10-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am home from camping and those doughboys sure were good!
Making them reminded me of something similiar we used to do in Camp Fire Girls and that was having "Toast Parties!"
It was at Camp Wakoma and we would "toast" our homemade bread over the campfire then get as creative as we wanted with all the toppings for the toast....peanut butter, jellies, butter, raisins, coconut, cinamon, etc!!! We always had hot chocolate with it!!

Did anyone go on "Penny walks?" I think of it now and the sight we must have been!!! We would walk to the corner, our whole Camp Fire Group, in our cute little blue skirts, vests and red bandana. Someone threw a penny in the air. Heads you turn right at the corner and tails you turn left. Throw the penny in the air at the next corner and keep walking. LOL!!! We must of walked in a lot of circles!!!
The things you think are FUN as a child! LOL

Most of the beads I earned were orange...homemaking and cooking if I remember right and I think yellow were science, of which I earned the least!! I still have all my beads. I should come up with something creative to do with them.
peace,train
Old 10-11-2002, 08:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The blue were science -
round red for sports and games
brown for outdoors
red, white and blue for citizenship
yellow I forgot!
green ?
orange home ( cooking, cleaning, etc ... )
Back again!
Found the book my Mom used when she was leader or guardian and the reprint date is ... 1970 !!!
yellow - business
red, white, and blue - citizenship craft
green - creative arts
orange - home craft
brown - outdoor craft
blue - science craft
red - sports and games craft

I also found my copy of 'Wo-He-Lo: The Story of Camp Fire Girls'!

Last edited by BLTN_Mom; 10-11-2002 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

So, yellow beads were for business...no wonder I didn't earn many of those...I did not earn many blue for science either...
I was always baking cookies and trying to learn to cook so I earned lots of homemaking beads.
Remeber the red, white and blue beads? They were a unique shape with all three colors on the bead.

I have patches, too, but mostly beads. My patches were from Camp Wakoma for polar bear and writing!!!

I still have my "situpon"..I should put it in my camping box and take it next time we camp for the memories!!!
peace,train
Old 10-22-2002, 09:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have Science, Creative Art, and Home beads running out my ears. I have the day camp Too-ka-bo-chi and the Summer Camp Wa-la-he-li patches.

Oh we are from Te-has,
where it's always pure chaos;
we drive the counselors
straight up the wall !
The insects may eat us but
they'll never defeat us
'cause we are from Ta-has
and we got it all!
Singing uhn-gah-wah, uhn-gah-wah,
uhn-gah-wah, uhn-gah-wah,
uhn-gah-wah, uhn-gah-wah,
uhn-gah-wah, wah, wah !

Te-has was the older girls. We had tents on platforms where the younger girls had cabins. We had a shed with a fridge and we fixed our dinner at camp instead of eating at the main lodge. We had an old indian cemetary right there too. I remember having to put lime in 'sweet Mabel' our two holer. We also killed and skinned two Copperheads. We were right on the lake so we could canoe across. Ah camp memories!