Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 07-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

New Rainbow/Daisy Unit - need ideas!

I am starting a Rainbow Unit in September, which is girls aged 5-7 years. I have done Rainbows before as an assistant guider but have not done it for a couple of years and was hoping for some new ideas to keep the new little ones interested and want to come back for more! Craft, games, anything is welcome.
I am thinking of doing a theme each term and centre activities around this each term. I am trying to think of suitable activities for little ones but.... I am more used to Brownie age! I am taking over a Brownie Unit after Christmas too, so may be calling on you lovely lot for more ideas then!

Open to suggestions!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

You are a brave lady!

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Brave? Moi? Never, probably very daft and need my head seeing to!
I do it for the girls. Some places I go, unless they get more adults involved, my daughters end up on a long waiting list. Being warranted means that they can take mine and several others off the list.
I am just looking for something different for the girls to do.......
Old 08-08-2006, 09:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Check your local flower garden many offer kids friendly workshops at free or low cost where the girls can plant a flower.

fieldtripfactory.com offers free field trips tours to grocerys tores and pets mart. This is great and you can search by your zip code.

If you have an Eat N' Park they will let the girls come in for a tour and decorate a cookie. What little girls doesn't love cookies!

One of my fondest memories of being a Daisy is holding a toy drive and the marines coming to pick up the toys at Christmas Time.

Decorating ceramic bowls are a fun easy craft at that age.

Tye Dye Troop shirts

Good LUCK!
Amber Joy Imhoff CM#1132
NOAH’S ARK WORKSHOP

Traveling “Make-Your-Own-Stuffed-Animal”
Ask about our NEW Bella Bee Glamour Girl Character Building Workshops!
Great for Birthday Parties, Camps, Scouts,& more…
Visit us on the web to book your workshop today:
http://www.noahsarkworkshop.com/amberimhoff1132
Seeking Crew Members Nationwide!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Honeybee - if the girls don't know each other you could have them wear nametags, introduce themselves, then tell about themselves. You can then play a game where they have to find a person who has a dog, baby sister etc.

They can have a birthday party for Juliette Low Gordon (the founder) and have cake and play games. The gifts can be craft items the group can use or items for a senior citizen center or something like that that you all have.

Make a stepping stone for gardens. The girls can decorate with their handprints and put stones etc into them.

Do lots of songs that require movement in them.

Make a sweatshirt and let the girls stamp them or paint them with rainbows.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 08-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I don't know if anyone else has done this, but it is one of my best memories when I was a Brownie and I did this for my DDs Daisey troup as well when I was her leader.

Toward the end of the season or even during a special event, you can have a Father-Daughter Banquet. I obtained some white cake boxed from a local baker (2 for each girl). Then you tell each girl that she and her father is to decorate their boxes with their fathers. I had the local television weather man come as a judge. I gave out prizes for various things, like most beautiful, funniest, and so on. I gave the TV personality a thank you gift and I fed him as well. For the girls who didn't have a father, they were welcome to bring an uncle, a friend, or even their mothers. We had a blast taking pictures of the boxes, which were so creative.

I had the girls practice a play during the weeks preceding the banquet so they could impress their fathers. This was also the time that I chose to hand out all the patches that they had earned.

It's an idea anyway. I always looked in the book where we had instructions for earning patches for ideas. I wanted to teach the girls to set goals and reach them. We always started our meeting with songs and such too.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Debora - that is a great idea and gets the fathers involved.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 08-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Thank you. One of my fondest memories were of the Father Daughter Banquet when I was little. We did some skip on the stage too. I repeated it with my daughter when she was little and I was her leader for her troop. It wasn't difficult for me to get a celebrity since my DH did the weather for our town and the weather man would call each night to get the temp, rain, etc... for our area. It also gets the mothers involved since you know the fathers have no clue how to decorate boxes with glue and other pretty things. lol It becomes a family event.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Nine Year Member

I think it was in Daisy's where my daughter's troop made the felt scarves (snip the ends to fringe) and they donated all the scarves to Salvation Army for the needy. They earned a badge for doing it I think it was a community service badge and not a sewing craft.

The troops here also get together with Salvation Army when they are putting out the Angel Tree at the mall around Thanksgiving (needy children's Christmas wishes) and the GS troops host 5-6 crafts for children to do (glue foam pieces on foam picture frame, make a bracelet with beads, ice & decorate a sugar cookie, coloring pages, etc.) The local TV news cover the event and one year I was interviewed when I picked our Angel. There is usually a local clown there making animal ballons and the Guitar Man is there playing music as well during the 2 hour event.

The Girl Scouts also make decorations to decorate the local library's Chirstmas tree in the Children's department. They schedule 3 troops at a time and they sing carols as they decorate.

Roberta
Old 08-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I found my troop ideas and program starters and following are some of their suggestions.

-have the little ones make fingerprints, then decorate the fingerprints into some type animal, etc. They can also then make up a story about them.

-write down the alphabet and then go around the room or outside and come up with an object or nature item for each letter.

-using a plastic container or egg carton plant a seed and watch it grow.

-make musical instruments out of recycled items. ie. put beans or rice into a container with a lid, or a cardboard tube and put paper or plastic wrap with rubberbands around it to hold it on, two sticks can become rhythm sticks, a box can be a drum and they can all be decorated.

-find different expressions on faces (catalogs or magazines). identify how each is feeling and pretend you have that feeling. happy,sad, angry,brave, scared, surprised

-using a large piece of paper for each girl, assign partners and have them trace each other on the paper. The girls can then decorate their "me paperdoll". You can then have girls take turns talking about; what my hands can do, what my heart feels, what my head likes to think about or where my feet have gone.

-scavenger hunt. Hide items around the meeting place and give the girls a list of things to find. Set a time limit and see who finds the correct items. If played outside can find nature items. Inside have small items such as crayons (can have find a specific color), spoons, candy (again can have an individual one on each list).

A game we played at a recent birthday party was to put a name of an animal on the back of each child. That child did not know what animal they where but everyone else could see it. The child had to go around and ask the other children yes or no questions to try and guess what animal they were.

There were lots more but hopefully these will give you some more ideas.