Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 04-02-2005, 04:02 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

New Troop Leader for Daisy Scouts

I am hoping someone can give me some info!!

I know there is a similar thread for starting out as a troop leader, but, I have a new set of questions!!!

First, do you think I could be a leader again if I was a leader before and ended up quiting??? I quess my real question would be do you think that would let me be a leader again?

This would be for a different daughter.

I had several reasons for quitting before. 1). Our troop started after the nut and calendar sale, and we had about $20 in our account. 2). The parents weren't taking responsibilty for the girls to pay their dues. 3). I couldn't go to my last class of training due to my DD having to get her last rabies shot!!

Second question. I was told the other time, that I was a leader, that I have to put a lot of my own money into the troop!!!? Is this true/necessary??

And last do the daisies go camping?? I am not overly thrilled about sleeping in a cabin!!!
Old 04-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

As far as I know, Daisies don't camp.

I have not been a troop leader for GS but DH has done it for Boy Scouts, and yes, we did subsidize some activities and a good amount of food. Even if you set up a schedule for other parents to contribute to snacks/supplies, you have to be prepared for the eventuality that someone (or many someones) WON'T step up and that will leave you to eat those costs.

In Boy Scouts we solved the dues problem by having them pay ONCE for all year. Other than field trips they were not asked for money again all year. If they dropped out, they lost the rest of the year's fee. Be up front about all that. Parents will gripe about the original expense (we asked for $40 per boy but that also got them Boys Life magazine and all the council dues, all awards, etc) but frankly I'd rather budget for it ahead of time than be told 2 days ahead that I need to send $5 for this or that....
Old 04-03-2005, 04:47 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thank you Barbszy.

I was told that I should put my own money into things like crafts, field trips, and things like that. I just couldn't beleve that. I didn't mind the part about providing snacks/drinks, and of course providing transportation.

But, for the rest I didn't think that was the way it should be!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Girl Scouting

I was a Leader for my daughters from daisy till they graduated H.S, And yes you will probably have to put out some of your own money. You could try and get some up front for snacks and things but I dont think there will be away to avoid using you own money. As far as will they let you be a leader again It is different from council to council. But probably. And the camping for daisy may be different form council to council . So check with your local council. Hope you do become a leader more are needed and I miss it. I stayed own as a leader even after my daughters graduated from high school. But last year i had cancer and had to drop My troop i am recovering now and have been cancer free for almost a year. And thinking of returning to scouting., I also was a Cub scout leader for my son who is now working on his Boy scout Eagle award. I hope this helps and good luck.
Barbara
Old 04-08-2005, 05:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was a Brownie leader for a year, never for Daisys. However, in our council, Daisys DO NOT camp.

I did put some of my own money into certain things; like plates, napkins, snacks, and decorations for a Valentine's party. However, I think it is very strange that you would be required to put up your own money for a field trip. The troop or council should be sponsoring that, in my book.

I would suggest also contacting your local council for answers.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Not a troop leader here but my daughters troop has been together since daisy's and they are now 2nd year Juniors. We just did our first over night campout this past summer. The girls troop leader asks for donations everyyear. We sign up for snacks every three months or so. If there is not enough funds in thier troop fund for field trips the troop leader asks the parents to pay for them. If there is one girl that the parents don't have the money for the field trip the leader will ask other parents to help chip in so this girl is not left behind. We have a great group of girls and parents that help out with supplies and funds.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am a co-leader for my DD's troop. Yes, I have spent my own money on some supplies, such as crafts, plates, decorations etc. I have not had to pay for someone else's field trip, either it is prepaid by gir's family or we agree to pay for all out of troop funds. If someone is having financial problems the council has funds to help them pay for things such as registration and camp.

In our council the Daises do not go camping. We have done an overnight when ours were first graders and now second graders though it is not mandatory and not all of the girls have stayed.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 04-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Nine Year Member

Hi!
I was a leader for Girl Scout troops for 16 years. But not for Daisy's. Back then, in our council, Daisy's were considered kind of a separate group. But now Daisies are considered the lowest rung on the ladder and are included more in the council activities. And I don't think they would turn you away from becoming a leader again. If your reason's for not continuing being a leader last time was a valid enough reason. I know that while I was a leader I was up front at the very beginning. Since I don't drive. I let the parents know that and if we were going on field trips or doing any council activities that our girls would need transportation to consider these activities or we wouldn't be doing them. And I also made the parents aware that scouts is not to be considered a free babysitting service, as some parents would show up late all the time to pick their daughters. I would suggest that you calculate approximately how much you were going to need for crafts and trips then divide that amount by how many girls you have and ask the parents before meetings start for dues and have them understand there maybe additional costs at a later date. You could also ask parents for donations for craft supplies that they may have laying around at home, that they no longer needed. Then maybe if you are meeting at separate homes each time that this parent supply the refreshments. Unless you have a party and then have the girls help plan the party or cookout by who will bring what. In my opinion scouting should not be the leaders complete responsiblity. And you should always have a leader and co-leader. Then depending on how many girls in your troop maybe even an extra adult. But always have two adults at every meeting. And if you are ambitious enough you could get a business or someone esle to sponsor your group by paying for books, uniforms, or trips, or snacks. It's enough for the leader to volunteer their time taking the training and handling the meetings. Your out of pocket expenses should be the cost of your uniform and trainings for yourself as a leader with your handbooks. And some of those could be wrote off as tax deductions too. Keep track of them. If you need supplies before your troop starts to meet try buying them when the school supplies are on sale and take the cost out of the dues after you collect them. You can also get ideas for projects that recycle stuff from around the home and give the girls a list they could collect and bring to meetings. Maybe one parent has alot of things another one doesn't. I doesn't hurt to ask.
Vicky
Old 04-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I had fogotten til I read Vicrae post that we also asked parent to bring in any extra craft items they had. In our first year we also had a birthday party for Juliet Lowe (founder of Girl Scouts). The presents that the girls brought were supplies for the troop. We suggested the things you always need cups, paper towels, baby wipes, pipe cleaners, pompoms, etc.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 04-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Nine Year Member

Hi!
Just thought that you might be interested in this website to help you even if you don't do scouts.

www.makingfriends.com

Have fun
Vicky