Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 06-21-2004, 05:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Postcard swap for Brownies-WAGGGS

We are about to do our World Guiding Badges with our Brownies and wondered if any packs overseas would like to swap postcards with our lot? From England.
All it would entail is each Brownie writing something like - Hi, I am Sally, I live in suchandsuch, I go to suchandsuch Brownie pack and I like to go swimming.
Or something similar, then for the guider/leader to put them in a big envelope and send them to me, and I will do the same with our lot. You would get approx 26 postcards. Might even get them to design a picture on them for themselves!
Anyone interested???
Thanks

Sally Bees,
aka Tawny Owl (Brownies) or Star (Rainbows).
Old 06-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

WAGGGS stands for World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts.
If you would like to be the unit we swap with please either reply here or pm me, up to you and we could swap details.
It will be a great thing for the girls to do!
Thanks
Sally
Old 06-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sally, as I stated on the Postcard site, I will get our group to do this. When do you need them? Our troop as a whole is not meeting as much during the summer months. This week is our camp and we have many different troops there. I could take some different KY related cards there and have some different troops write on them and then mail to you but cannot give you all their addresses you would just have to mail to our troop. Just let me know either here or by pm. I will not be on until late at night for me.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 06-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Just pop them in an envelope all together, I will pm you my address, so you can send them direct to me, and if you can send me your address so I can send ours to you. We will be doing ours tomorrow night (Wednesday), as the first part of the WAGGGS badge and there will probably be about 26. Doing it as a camp activity is a great idea, I am sure they will find that very interesting to do. My girls will look forward to receiving cards from the USA Girl Scouts!

As soon as you could send them the better, they break up for school summer holidays in mid July, so by then would be nice but I do realise that this is a rush so I can always give them to them in September when we restart if you just send them when you are ready to.

Thank you so much

Sallyxx
Old 07-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello :-)

My daughter is a Jr.s leader and Brownie Mom. Some of her girls would love to exchange postcards with someone. They would be working on their penpal badge. How many girls do you have? I'm not sure how many are in her troop, but could find out. If you could email me the leader's snail mail addy we will send to the girls through their leader. I will also need a name list so we can address it to Ms-----------
C/o the leader name
address

Old 07-06-2004, 05:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Redcardinalbird

I have today received your package of cards, they are very lovely thankyou, I will give them to the girls tomorrow night at our meeting, hopefully you will receive ours soon, they were sent last thursday, so it shouldn't be long.

Vrsherren

Thankyou for the offer, but we have now done the postcard swap, I will ask though if any of our girls would like to do a penpal thing and will talk with our unit leader with regards to it being part of a badge that the girls could do, maybe with a letter this time. We are meeting for the last time next week before the summer holiday, and will not be back until mid September so I am not sure when it will be done.

My Unit Guider/Brown Owl has asked me to ask if anyone has any guiding or girls scout badges that they would like to swap as she collects them and sews them on her camp blanket. If you have, let me know, Thanks!

Yours In Guiding

Sally
Old 07-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Honeybee - so glad they arrived! Will be on the lookout for any extra badges for her.

Vrsherron, do the girls have to penpal with someone out of the country or can it be in the US. What ages are the girls. My troop will be going into the second grade but if older can pass it on to one of the older troops or my SIL has one going into the 5th and 3rd grades and is co leaders of. Just let me know.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 07-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Honeybee - The postcards have arrived. MY DD and I read them and she would ask some questions. We can't wait til our troop meets and we can share them! The girls did a great job.

I like how you all have owl names. Is the owl significant to your group/area or WAGGS? I gather from the cards that your levels also involve rabbits.

These are some of the questions DD had that I could not answer:
What is cootball?
What is netball?
Becky write "I come from the foxes six. I am the sixer."??

If you have any questions from ours please ask. The troops vary on meetings. The troop, of which I am co-leader, are going into the second grade and are still Brownies. We meet every other Thursday night from 6 - 7:30. They are into singing songs and SWAPS.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hiya,

WAGGGS is the organisation we all belong to, its the World Assoc' of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. I believe everywhere has Girl Guides except USA who have named them Girl Scouts instead.

The owl has been a significant part of brownie guiding for as long as they have been around I believe (it was so when I was one many years ago), it generally goes unit guider is Brown Owl, then Tawny Owl, then Snowy Owl, Barn Owl, etc....
Some units choose not to do this and choose something else or just use their own names, but the majority use owls as tradition.

With the Rainbows (Daisy's?) it varies fron unit to unit, at this unit we are Moonbeam, Sunbeam, Star and Sky, and at my girls old unit, they used animals, Fox, Bear etc
Rabbit is our district commissioner. Called this mainly at large events by the girls!

At Brownies the pack is divided into groups of six and call them sixes, the leader of each is called a sixer, and she has a seconder also. Each six used to be named things like Pixies, Sprites, Kelpies, Leprechauns, Imps, Elves etc.... now we have Squirrels, Hedgehogs, Badgers, Foxes, and Rabbits.

Cootball should probably read as football, and is soccer to you, and netball is like basketball for girls, the rules are a little different but it is very similar.

It seems that ours are arranged differently too, they join at 5 until 7 for the Rainbows, then 7 until 11 for Brownies and then on to Guides until about 15, they can then become Rangers, Young Leaders etc. At 18 then they can do their warrant (like I have been doing) and become a warranted guider and run a unit or assist at one. So ours don't really go by school ages/years/grades etc. The Sixer is usually the most experienced (usually eldest and hopefully most responsible) Brownie in that group of six girls. At present we have 5 sixes and about 27 girls in total, so some sixes only have 5 girls in them (!?!).
After Brownies, they go to Guides, which are split into Patrols, but I do not do these. Rainbows are not in groups.

Hope this essay helps with those questions!

Yours in Guiding

Sallyxx
Old 07-09-2004, 09:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sally - it really did help. Wow.

Our leaders do not go by any special names. Some leaders do make up names for camp but it is not required.

There are five age levels in Girl Scouting:

Daisy Girl Scouts, 5-6 years old
Brownie Girl Scouts, 6-8 years old
Junior Girl Scouts, 8-11 years old
Cadette Girl Scouts, 11-14 years old
Senior Girl Scouts, 14-17 years old

so while not actually grade level it is divided along those lines too.