Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 03-16-2002, 02:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Juniors

I have been a leader for six years now, am into my second year of Juniors. I saw on the "Brownies" thread some ideas for behavior. My Juniors are out of control many meetings. I've tried "containing" them in a smaller room (works for a while), can't use the candle idea due to where we meet. My main problem with these girls in talk, talk, talk (and making trips to the bathroom, which I can control a little better). I spend so much meeting time making the GS quiet sign and waiting for them to stop -- and it doesn't always work. Although I enjoy working on badges with the girls, I think I am getting a little burnt out with having to spend so much time on proper behavior. No, I have no co-leader (no other moms are willing to take the training or deal with all the registration and pre-field trip paperwork). But I do have a wonderful mom at each meeting who handles crafts and I have several other moms who help out with other areas (although I had to be cookie mom). Since we meet right after school I make sure we play a game first to get out that added energy, but what else can I do? Help! (There are 13 in my troop)
Old 03-17-2002, 01:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Loud Group

I have 14 Juniors in my troop and we meet in the cafeteria in the school with 29 Brownies!!!! So you can imagine the noise level at times!!!

We have our flag ceremony together at the beginning and end of each meeting, then break off into separate groups for the rest of the meeting. Luckily, my girls aren't too noisy, but I do come home frustrated from some meetings. This is my 3rd year as the Junior Leader.

We often will go out into the hallway and sit in a circle so that we can have it a little quieter when we are talking, but we do our crafts in the cafeteria.

I've had "The Talk" with the girls several times about how they are the older girls here and they have to set an example to the younger ones. That usually works with me. The thing that frustrates me most is the ones that will whisper to each other while I am talking. I'll stop talking and stare at them and they still just keep talking! What nerve! I've started telling them that if they are going to act like Brownies, I can treat them like Brownies and if they are rude and talk when I am, I'll put them in a corner. I haven't actually had to do it yet, the threat has been enough!

I suggest that you have a heart to heart talk with these girls and try to make them realize how rude they are being. Maybe that will help.

Bev
http://www.now.at/noni
Old 03-18-2002, 04:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

talkative girls

I've had troops of all ages for about 12 years now. After repeated warnings I actually separated two girls from our group and they had to sit quietly without participating in the meeting. It only happened once and it changed the tone of our future meetings. We had more cooperation and fewer interruptions from then on. I didn't want to do that but the girls got over it and appreciated their opportunity to participate thereafter.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for your comments, they were helpful. I had a meeting tonight and sat the girls down at the beginning to let them know that their behavior/constant talking at last meeting was not respectful to me and put us behind in our work. I told them that if they worked with me, I would work with them. During snack time I told them to get all their talking out, if they could. And, I'm not extremely proud of this, but I had some candy to pass out at the end of the meeting if they stayed in control. They did very well, only getting one warning from me -- the rest of the time I couldn't believe how fast they quieted down. In addition, the crafts mom and I have decided to always split the group into two -- one half does a craft while the other half works on badgework, then they switch. We tried it tonight and it keeps down the noise down and seems to calm them as well. Although next time I won't be offering any Easter candy as a reward, I think that if I start each meeting reminding them of proper behavior that I will have less problems.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am also a Junior leader......this is actually my sixth year as a leader and my second as a Junior leader. I have 7 girls in my troop, but I also have at times had trouble with the "talking." I do a fun thing with the girls called "fun bucks." What it is, is I give a fake dollar bill to the girls for different things.....dues, wearing their pin & sash, bringing their notebook, bringing canned goods for the senior center, etc. Then, if I see them do something particularly nice, they get extra fun bucks! For every 15 that they earn, they then get to buy something with their money.......I have a box of inexpensive items that they choose from. I also use this incentive to get them to listen during the meetings...if they are not quiet, we don't do the spending!

Also, I have found that if we take some time away from the meeting place every once in a while, that this makes them more likely to work on badges when we are back. We have done some interesting tours, and on those, they show me how good they can be!

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work!!!
Old 03-22-2002, 03:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

When I was a Brownie Leader, I learned to use a "talking stick" or a flower to help control the talking. Whomever had the flower had the floor--but we had to limit it to a couple of minutes per person. This was done after the opening ceremony and once again at the end of time before closing circle if we ran out of time before. You may want to try this out. Leaders have the ability to interrupt if need be but the girls must respect and listen to the one who has the stick. Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

i am a jr leader. and this is my 4th year as a leader this year we meet at school and the girls are like wild women.... just want to run and play on the stage... its so hard to keep them under control. i know it is also my fault as a leader not giving the girls enough to do.

i have started a e-mail support group for other leaders and parents, it was mainly for arkansas but i didnt much particapation from my parents or the other leaders from my service unit. i welcome any leaders.
thanks
tab

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arkans...yguid=52536266
Old 04-06-2002, 06:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing life skills book

Hi everyone. This is my first time using a forum or message board so please forgive if I do anything wrong. My granddaughter is in the Juniors and she has learning disabilities. In one of the mailing I recieve in the mail from Girl Scouts it listed a book for teaching life skills. I no longer have the paper and would like to find how how and where I can puchase this book. Thank you