Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Scouting & Clubs Boy scouts, girls scouts, Brownies, Daisies, 4H, the list goes on! Discuss clubs for your kids here.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Meeting ideas

I'm a Cub Scouter, and there are lots of Girl Scouters out there, so I thought it'd be best to post a thread for specific meeting ideas in a "public" place.

My goal is for us to share specific meeting layouts- general or detailed- so we can collectively use our brainpower to help our kids have fun! Who's with me?

Last Tuesday, my Webelos I den worked on learning the Boy Scout Oath and Law, discussing the tenets of each in the kids' words. We read some material from the internet about Mardi Gras and decorated our own Mardi Gras masks. I brought some black masks, glitter glue, craft glue, feathers, beads, and yarn, and let the kids go to town. When they were done, we read some internet material about the King Cake, and ate a King Cake that my co-leader had brought. The boys observed that the King Cake is more like a coffee cake than a sweet cake, but they all enjoyed it. At the end of the meeting, I bundled them together and tossed Mardi Gras beads at them to catch like they were in a parade.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sounds like a fun meeting!

Do your boys generally do crafts at the meetings? My DH worries that he is not the "crafty" type so his Cub Scouts don't get much craft time unless another parent leads that meeting.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Nine Year Member

Happy face Hi

My dh has been involved in scouting since our son was a scout. Our son made the rank of Eagle Scout. Now my dh is taking our 2 grandsons to scouts and helping out. One is a Weblo 1 the other a Tiger. The Tiger troop does a fun thing once a month. It's called, "Go See It." They go to all different fun and interesting places. Last month they went to a bug museum. The boys learned a lot about bugs and had a fun time. They are both getting ready for the Yukon Gold Rush next month........Catwomam your last meeting sounded like a lot of fun!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have one son working toward Eagle and another one who will be a Tiger in the fall. Sounds like Tigers have really changed since Big DS was in it!
Old 05-31-2008, 05:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I too am a Cub Scout Leader. My son is a Bear and I also have been asked to run the Tiger den for the time being because of family problems that den leader is having.
With my Bear den we have built model airplanes and pinewood derby cars. We also built a model of a teepee using a piece of styrofoam, bamboo skewers and a piece of brown paper bag that the boys decorated. For some of our outings we have gone to the children's museum, a science center (where we had a camp-in with many other cub scouts). Next week we are going to the National Park Ranger Station that is near by to learn what a conservation officer is and what they do, also learn about some of the wonderful hiking trails around our area.
With the tiger den we have made bird feeders with peanut butter and pinecones. The boys also made their own snacks using graham crackers, frosting tinted blue (to represent the ocean) and goldfish crackers. They also made ants on a log, something a couple of them had never had (after trying it they all said that they wanted more and were going to ask mom or dad to let them make some at home). For Go-See-It's they have gone to the library for a special story time, they've gone to a farm and seen how they milk cows and where many of the foods they eat are grown. They have also been to the local fire department and got to try on some of the bunker gear that the firemen wear.
One thing that I have found when I seem to get in a rut of what to do with my boys is go to the council roundtable meetings (we have one each month during the school year). You can get a lot of ideas from the other leaders that go. These meetings are for both cub scout and boy scout leaders.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Cub Scout Summer Camp

I too am a Cub Scout Den Leader. currently I'm the Bear leader, however I will be the Webelos Leader for summer camp. I have never done summer camp before (my boys attend every year) and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Our council is have several staff meeting, but I would kinda like to know before hand to I'm going to do. Do anyone have any experience with camp or Webelos?

Thanks,

Sandyh2
Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Are you attending a Scout camp with programs all day--so you only need to amuse the boys at night? Or are you responsible to keep them busy all day too?

If you just need to keep them busy after dinner, I suggest a board game tournament. My DH has been attending summer camp as a Scout leader for about 7 years now. They bring "Axis and Allies" or "Risk" with them. DH bought a portable "screen house" and they put up a table & benches in there, to keep the bugs out. The kids sit in there and play board games by lantern light.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

it's just day camp from 9am-4pm.
I'm supposed to help the boys complete 2-webelos badges requirements. But i think i will only have them for about an hour a day. not real sure since i don't have a schedule yet.