Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Boys) Are you a den or troop leader, or an involved parent? Looking for help with meetings, crafts, ideas for outings? Ask your questions here!

Old 03-30-2004, 05:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well, here is the latest on the whole scouting thing. DH and DS had a long talk and DS has decided to keep working on a merit badge that was in progress, and to "try out" one of the other area troops. He has friends in this troop and the leaders were the former Cubmasters of his Cub Pack, until their kids moved up to Boy Scouts and DH took over as Cubmaster.

So we have to work out the details like finding out what time their meeting is (we know the meeting place) and contacting the leader, and then DS will give it a try.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

very good plan... I hope it works out for all of you and your son continues to stay in scouting... what rank is he?
also keep in mind once you start a merit badge he doesn't have to finish it of course that means he doesn't get that one, but so many boys starts a merit badge and doesn't like it and goes to another one and that's ok. then there are those parents that think that GOT TO finish that merit badge...
there are many merit badges for boys to try, learn, and some even go into a deeper level after wards....
Old 04-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I believe my DS is just short of "First Class." And the merit badge he was working on is an area of his interest so he'll finish it.

DH talked to the Scoutmaster this weekend, and plans are in the works so DS can join that troop. I think he'll be a lot more comfortable there, and so will DH.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just an update.

My DS has been visiting Troop 2 for a few weeks now and this week he officially joined. DH will be around as much as he can, and join them at summer camp in July. Everyone's happy with the situation
Old 05-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

thanks for the update, and glad it worked out for everyone. Hopeuflly this troop will keep his interest until he makes eagle...

now how are you going to take part or are you?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I won't get to take part at this point. This is something that he and DH do together, their dad & son thing....and with DH in school and a 2 year old underfoot I can't get involved with Scouting for either of my Big Kids. I do what I can to volunteer for the school, which hopefully will become more and more as Luke gets bigger & a little less...TWO!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

barbs you will end up doing more as Luke gets older, and for the scouts, have you thought about being a merit badge councelor?
this works wonderful for mom's with smaller kids, as you can work with your time and you don't always have to be at a meeting, you can meet the boy at a McDonald's or at a park while Luke plays you go over the stuff with the boy or boys.
Some of the merit badge councelors just has paper and things to go over and keep a eye on how the boy is doing.
There is so many merit badges as you know.
so think about that... I would suggest you only do 1 or 2 for your own son if you feel you must do one for you son,other wise don't.

Of course thre are those parents that only takes part in scouting due to helping thier son, not saying you are one of those.

I felt it very rewarding to help with merit badges.

just thankful this is working for you as I am always thrill to see a boy making it to Eagle. but not all does.
My ds never made it but he wants to get back into scouting one day if he ever has a little boy... That will be some time off, for ds is only 22 and not married yet. LOL, then it will take a while for a little one to get old enought to be in scouts. LOL
Old 07-04-2004, 07:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I hope my son does not lose interest in scouts. He is a Web II now, and will transition over to Boy Scouts in Feb or March. He started as a wolf, and it has been hard at times, both he and I finding our way. I started out just as helping, stepped up to assistant den leader, then had to assume the role of den leader when she got in a bad accident. We have done all the camping and day camping, son was a ranger this year, too.
He told me the first day of day camp that he did not like being a ranger, and I told him the first day was always the hardest, and would he go one more day and see if it got better. Later that day he was telling his friend how cool it was that the rangers got to sit on the bridges during ceremony island! And although the rest of the week was a lot of hard work (for both of us, I taught a cooking session), the fulfillment of volunteering and commitment was great for both of us.

I know hormones and peer pressure start to affect their opinions and ideas, I just think that communication is the key. I am so glad that your family found a way to make it work, at least seeing how it goes. Scouting is such a wholesome and respected venture, I hate to see anybody quit, but, sometimes things just don't work out. I will pray for all of our scouts, that the Lord leads them on His path of righteousness.

Be blessed,
beckie
Old 08-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My Boy Scout (age 12) just got back from Summer Camp. He was at Bashore Reservation in PA. He had a great time!
He earned 4 merit badges and did a good amount of work on a 5th, that he can finish at home. He earned Space Exploration, Environmental Science, Archery and Riflery.
He is thinking about Eagle projects so I'm glad his interest in Scouting seems to have been renewed now that he joined this troop
Old 08-04-2004, 03:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My 13-year old son recently returned from summer camp also, with renewed interest in scouting. I am glad. He does seem to enjoy it most of the time. Sure beats him playing PS2 games all the time!