Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Boys) Are you a den or troop leader, or an involved parent? Looking for help with meetings, crafts, ideas for outings? Ask your questions here!

Old 03-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I certainly think that Boy Scouts has enough to recommend it that it should not be disbanned. I was hoping my son would stick with it, but if he really doesn't want to, no one here is forcing him. What mystifies us is his sudden change of heart. We don't know if it's a personality conflict that would be fixed if he were in a different troop, or something else.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Our 9 year old son is losing interest in scouts too. My feeling is that it is because of the other kids in his den. Many are not well-behaved, and as hard as the leader tries, they are quite a discipline issue. Each meeting consists of their behavior dominating the session. I don't really blame him for tiring of it.

Also--the pack meetings we have last far longer than they need to. Finishing up at 8:30-9:00 pm on a school night is far too late in my opinion.

I'm sad that he's no longer interested--summer camp was a blast-with alot of great activities. I also like the community service aspect and spiritual component.

However, I guess we won't force him to participate if he really doesn't want to. I just hope that we can find a way to continue to encourage the positive aspects for him. Being in scouts always kind of "forced" us to keep up with those types of activitity.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I never heard anything about BOY scouts being disbanned...but I did hear some stuff about the GIRL scouts. Something about troops in Texas supporting Planned Parenthood or something like that...
Old 03-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

The anti gay boy scout

The boy scouts have no moral and nor do the girl scouts when they say they don't welcome gays. Hey, if you don't allow something as moral as a gay? Then hey, disban.

THIS SENTENCE was edited out by the Administrator due to flaming (name calling). Further innappropriate behavior will result in banishment from this forum. Opinions are fine, but we do not tolerate name calling.

O my. Look in the mirror next time you throw the first stone. Give me a break. The boy knows when he is looking at a bunch of gay bashing scouts who don't welcome one type of people. Might as well start in on everyone else who don't believe in something you don't. I stand behind the boy. Let him leave the scouts. You go boy! This is to the people who are posting anit sementic statements. I will be lurking and I will post to those who think they can stand behind the boy or girl scouts. I have had friends who were kicked just because of their gender.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I guess I am surprised at your post. I have never heard any type of controversy here in Batavia about gays nor have I heard anyone fired. We need all the help we can get to keep the troop running. Maybe we are just too "small town" to be touched by this? I am happy with what my kids get out of scouting. They seem happy too. If either one wanted to quit, I certainly would not force them. As long as it's fun...
Old 03-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

THIS SENTENCE was edited by the Administrator due to flming (name calling). Opinions are fine, but flaming is not tolerated in the forum and further behavior such as this will result in banishment from this forum.

Don't believe EVERYTHING you read or hear through the grapevine, jeese this is becoming a case of slander, and I for one support the Boy and Girl Scouts of America.

Like I said, not everyone can be happy or get the same experience when there are so many variants that factor in to make the quality of each persons' experience, but OVERALL the scouts try to provide positive and new experiences for our children. If you don't believe in the scouts fine, but try and leave it a happy memory for those of us that do. There are no real facts or basis behind your negative statements. I'm happy in my own little scout world and I'm certainly not a "gay basher", I believe everyone has a right to live their own life the way they choose. See? We all have our own opinions and are not ROBOTS with thoughts driven into our minds by some evil hidden power...

FLAMING sentence removed by Administrator. No more warnings will be given.

And may I repeat myself, Scouts stand for things like community, patriotism, EQUALITY and citizenship. It seems like some of these people are offended by such good qualities, or maybe there are just mad that their parents never introduced them to scouting when they were kids and they missed out on all the fun!

With pride, patriotism, AND BROADMINDEDNESS!
Wendi67

Normally it doesn't bother me when my mind wanders...only when it doesn't come back!

Old 03-22-2004, 02:22 AM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My two cents worth........ First of all, I've been reading this thread from the very beginning. With much interest........ I, myself, never had my son into the Boy Scouts, only because he was enrolled in a Military School...... (Reasons, of why a M.S. ~ many.) Although he never had the oppertunity to join this fine group of Boy Scouts, he did thrive at the other. I have two daughters, both of which were into Brownies, Girl Scouts, and the Big Sister Organization. They both enjoyed, learned, and thrived with belonging. Now, my thoughts to you Barb, I do believe that what you are doing is correct. One cannot -really- go one way, or the other. Even though your son is still very young, he does have his own reason/reasons as to why the different ideas concerning scouting. If, and whenever he will be ready to 'share' them with you, that will be his decision. By listening to things he has to say concerning his change of thought/s, he just may "clue" you in, without actually coming out and stating "why". It could be anything..... I know that when I was younger, and in Girl Scouts, I was forever teased about it, by the ones not ever in it. I never was a Brownie, was a Girl Scout til I flew up into Seniors, and continued on with that. I never had so much fun and learning experiences, than I did in those years. As a mother, I went for being a co-leader. I love to be able to help teach things and just plain"do". All in all, yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.........pro & con.

****This is my opinion........ Scouts are and always will be a terrific learning experience for all the young. Someone had stated earlier, a comparison of the youth in these groups, to the young of today....... Yes, too bad that more of our young don't get involved in scouting. I'm totally for scouts and all that they do.

***Just My Two Cents Worth!!

Carol Ann
Old 03-22-2004, 02:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

It seems like we are getting a bit off track here with the posts about "scout bashing" and "gay bashing" and disbanding troops or the entire Scout movement.

And it's starting to degenerate a bit into name-calling, which is unfortunate. That's not what we're about here at Family Corner. Of course we will disagree, but it's important to do so without flaming or getting out of hand.

Let's please keep that in mind as we go on with this discussion.

And thanks to all of you who have been very helpful as my son and I work this out. I guess what it all boils down to in my case--I just want to make sure all is OK and this is not simply a loss of interest. Because if that's all it is, I'd want him to finish the year (finish what you start). But if all is not OK, then there are things that need to be addressed.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have two sons aged 13 & 12 in Boy Scouts. They have been involved in Scouts since Tiger Cubs (1st grade). They also say that they aren't doing anything.

I have been involved in Cub Scouts as a den leader, am currently a Junior Girl Scout leader and am just a committe member of the Boy Scout troop. The leaders do the programs for the Cub Scouts. Once the Cubs move up to Boy Scouts it is the responsibility of the boys to make the program. The program is set up to teach leadership and responsibility. The older boys are suppposed to help the younger boys move up the ranks. The boys need to work together and by themselves to make the program the best for themselves. I know when my boys say there is nothing going on it is usually because they are not working on a merit badge or rank work.

I know my sons have a better time when they have a close friend involved also. My husband and myself are involved with the parent stuff - fund raising, transporting etc. I don't make them do everything. But I do have to force them to do somethings. Don't we all have to do things we don't want to sometimes? Don't we all need to little "push"? If they down right hate it that is another story. But my kids have made a commitment one year at a time. Once they start the year they have to finish it.

Just my ever so humble opinion. It is a great organization. The whole Scouting organization is good for kids. Of course the leaders can make it or break it.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank goodness for moderators, no? One of the reasons I love this site is because it is so helpful with my family issues.
Right now, both my kids like scouting and are happy. I cannot see ever forcing them to continue if they decided they did not like it anymore. Last year, my son requested to quit baseball 3/4's through the season...in that case, I denied. I told him he did need to finish out the season. I think I made the right decision, I stressed once commited, you need to complete.