Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Boys) Are you a den or troop leader, or an involved parent? Looking for help with meetings, crafts, ideas for outings? Ask your questions here!

Old 06-03-2003, 06:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question What are Your Scouting Plans for the Summer?

Well, we just last night finished our regular pack meetings with a picnic celebration. One of our boys received his Arrow of Light Award and will be passing on to a new Boy Scout troup this fall!

Our eldest boy will be joining that group as a Webelos. Fortunately, it meets on another night from our cub scout pack...so Cubmaster Dad will be able to take him and they both will enjoy two evenings a week of scouting fun!

It has been a new adventure for us as our Cubmaster stepped down earlier this spring for health reasons. A group of us parents stepped forward to keep the pack going (only 11 at the moment).
Ron, my DH, took the classes and training and was volunteered to be the new Cubmaster for our pack!

If any of you have any suggestions for us, please let us know! We're planning a campfire/cookout in the summer, swimming outing, and a miniature golfing expedition!

Ron and our two older boys, 10, and 8 will be going on their first overnight adventure later this summer!

Happy Summer Scouting Fun!!
Karen

"Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." ~George Bernard Shaw~

http://www.stayinhomeandlovinit.com/cgi-bin/team.cgi?id=ka555&action=show
Old 06-07-2003, 11:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Have you tried any of your local state parks?? They may have programs that you can take the boys to...I know that the state parks around here do summer things and things through the year...
Old 06-07-2003, 04:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks! You've just sparked a memory about a park nearby that has a nature preserve and offer interesting nature walks!

Will mention it to my husband!

thanks again!
K.

"Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." ~George Bernard Shaw~

http://www.stayinhomeandlovinit.com/cgi-bin/team.cgi?id=ka555&action=show
Old 06-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello I'm a Den Mother of the cub packof my youngest son in. This year we moved up to Webelos Den 1. We are the Dragon protrol group. You can find out adventures thru your cancial office. At our cancil store and office I find places such as Warthog camp out at the stadium. We watch the baseball game then camp out on the field, Watch movies on the big sreen. We do this in July. We are also going to a local race track. The cubs get in free and will sive the pridge to the flag and start the race. We also get a council paper called The Raven. It as events in it. Have fun on your camping trip.

we go to redsident camp this wed. till sat. Going to be fun.

This be Tree
Old 06-09-2003, 04:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I was a Den Leader, and a Den Leader coach back in the 70's. In the summertime I recall the following ideas.
1- We made a 'Cub Scout Olympics'. That was great fun. We made fun events, like a relay race carrying a bucket of water among the dens. We had an arm wrestling event, sack race, water balloon toss,etc.
2- We took nature trips to parks and looked for things that they could find to get a patch. We took a picnic lunch too.
3- There was also a Cub Scout day camp for 1 week that was available.
4 - One time we had a Cub Scout circus. Each den made a game (bean bag toss, fish pond). That was great fun too.

Those years I put in were great memories as I look back now. It's nice to think that you did something that can shape a boy's life!
Old 06-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

One thing our pack did, that was passed on by the council to the other packs because it went so well, was to plan a field trip/scavenger hunt to the science museum. We did as many things as we could find that fit into cub scout awards requirements. I'm sorry I don't have a copy any more, but every museum is different anyway.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:38 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Re: What are Your Scouting Plans for the Summer?

Quote:
Originally posted by kbmom
Well, we just last night finished our regular pack meetings with a picnic celebration. One of our boys received his Arrow of Light Award and will be passing on to a new Boy Scout troup this fall!

Our eldest boy will be joining that group as a Webelos. Fortunately, it meets on another night from our cub scout pack...so Cubmaster Dad will be able to take him and they both will enjoy two evenings a week of scouting fun!

It has been a new adventure for us as our Cubmaster stepped down earlier this spring for health reasons. A group of us parents stepped forward to keep the pack going (only 11 at the moment).
Ron, my DH, took the classes and training and was volunteered to be the new Cubmaster for our pack!

If any of you have any suggestions for us, please let us know! We're planning a campfire/cookout in the summer, swimming outing, and a miniature golfing expedition!

Ron and our two older boys, 10, and 8 will be going on their first overnight adventure later this summer!

Happy Summer Scouting Fun!!
Karen
I have two boys myself ages 7 & 3 and although neither are in scouts we do activites together, more now that school is out for the summer. Boys usually do not care to much for craft projects but one project both my boys enjoy is getting messy. Make bird feeders to hang this summer ~ kids have fun, enjoy the mess ~ and the birds get a special treat. Collect pinecones ~ larger ones work the best ~ dry them out. Put a string around one end of the pinecone to hang it. Cover the pinecones with peanut butter and roll in birdseed. Project complete. Have FUN!
Old 06-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Nine Year Member

Hello!
I was just reading and checking out this form. I just finished up with Webelos II last March. Now is the time to get the boys into Summer Camps and some resident Camps. To get the Science Activity Pin our boys went to an overnite At our local Discovery center. They did science activities and built rockets to lauch all through the evening and Sat. morning. They launched the rockets before the overnite was over. Then last summer with our Pack we had a cookout, an afternoon at a local water park, then we planned a pack hike with a cook out in a local forest area. These were also the activities that counted as options for the Summer fun Pin. We also used the summer camp and resident camp as optons for the boys.
Through all of these activities some fo the requirements were met for most of the ranks in cub scouts. We tried to make all the parents realize that Cub Scouts is a family organization and families need to be involved. As our pack was low on funds we tried to keep our activites close to low cost as possible.
You could also see if the boys and their families would be willing to walk/ride bikes in your local parades. Some of the Packs in our council have won trophies for this.
Also keep in mind you don't always have to have a Pinewood Derby race. You can do rockets, or the RainGutter races with sailboats. Or get several packs together and do a Soapbox Derby.
These are just some suggestions. Hope they help you some. If you need anymore ideas e-mail me and I can see what I can help you with.

Vicky
[email protected]