Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Boys) Are you a den or troop leader, or an involved parent? Looking for help with meetings, crafts, ideas for outings? Ask your questions here!

Old 09-05-2002, 05:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Community Service Projects

My 5th grader is in a den that doesn't do any CS projects. My 6th grade GS troop does LOTs, and I wondered if it's just us, or if boy scouts doesn't empahsize CS.

If your den or pack does CS projects that would be appropriate for this age group, I'd love to hear your ideas. Thanks, Dawn
Old 09-07-2002, 09:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dawn,

Both of our sons are in Scouts. They have done a variety of things for our community. A couple of times a year they pick up trash on a mile stretch of road, they go to the local senior center and visit with the residents, they are responsible for keeping one of our elementary school playground's cleared of trash, we live outside of town and many people have large gardens; anytime they help a resident dig a garden or do other chores around the house for no payment, it can be considered community service (get a note from the resident with how many hours and Scouts' names). Scouting for Food is a well known event that we do around Thanksgiving. During football season, the older Scouts usher at the OU football games. I know that I am not listing everything that they do. Our ScoutMaster is very community and family oriented. Also, I found a site with a list of numerous other possibilities:

http://usscouts.org/servicetoamerica.asp

Hope this helps give you some ideas for your community.

Donna in Oklahoma ;^)
Old 09-08-2002, 05:23 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

We walk ditches twice a year. Once a year they clean up after a demolition derby (picking up trash and cans). I have my group raise money for the chldren of Afghanistan last year as a community project. Read the speech that the President gave. Told them that our President has asked for our help and it is our duty to help. Our group doesn't get into the CS thing too much and I wish they did. When we get a new cub master, maybe that will change.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

You need to talk to the Boy Scout Leader. Service projects are part of the Boy Scouts. It helps them earn badges. The Boy Scout troop and Cub Scout troops in our church collected newspaper from the community and sold them to the recycling center. They also bought and resold popcorn. When the church refurbished a mobile home for a family, they were invited to work on the project with their parents. They were invited to work on a "Club House" donated by a church member. The minister and his son built handicapped ramps for the community and the Boy Scouts were invited to do that too.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Scouting is a volunteer organization, so I heartily recommend you volunteer to coordinate a community service project. Scouting for Food in November is certainly a worthy cause and works well with cubs because of their age range.

We've been part of a few different packs due to military moves and have seen it work a few different ways. One way is to schedule a day and assign different dens to different neighborhoods and just go door to door.

I prefer to get plastic bags (donated by local stores) and staple a tag on them explaining that you will be back on the following Saturday to collect. Then each boy in the pack takes 10 or 20 and hangs them on their neighbors doorknobs. Saturday morning is a breeze (my kids knock if there's no bag) and pull a wagon along with the bags. It's quick and efficient and the kids can really see the results of their effort. Plus this way, it ends up being the BOY's effort, rather than the parents.

I'm really surprised to hear your pack is lacking in community service projects, very unusual for cub/boy scouts, though my neice's girl scout group hasn't done diddley for years.

Old 09-08-2002, 03:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

our son is in 5th grade and is in scouts.every year they collect new toys for the Toys for Tots program . toys given to less fortunate children at christmas time.ida
Old 09-11-2002, 08:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

Having been the mom of a scout from 3rd grade to present--he's an Eagle Scout now and a Junior Assistant Scoutmaster, I can honestly say that there is an endless list of possibilities that your den can get involved in for community service.

One option, to ease into it gradually, would be to request that the Boy Scout Troop that your son is most likely to graduate to provide a den chief and also allow your den to particpate in a community service project with them.

You don't have to announce your project to anyone, just be sure to get the tour permit filled out and permission slips signed. One time, we went to the beach and for the first 2 hours walked around the park cleaning up (Every set of buddies had a large trash bag) and then enjoyed the beach for the next couple of hours. Be sure to make sure that if you are going to let the boys into the water that you have a lifeguard present, preferably a BSA certified one. Many troops in your area can provide this service as well. Anyway, much to our surprise, the following week in the newspaper was a wonderful article about how the local scouts had put forth such an effort on their own. We had been photographed unbeknownst to us and there was this group of pictures on the front page. We happened to be visiting the area, it's in a different county. It prompted the local scouts to become more active.

Sometimes, just presenting different activities like the Scouting for Food, or Scouting for Books or Earth Day Projects or providing a color guard for services on Special holidays or helping out your local parks can spark the interest and if done right, can earn the scouts many of the awards that they are working on. If the cubmaster is not up to this, that's fine, your den can decide to do it on it's own. Just be sure to follow ALL the scouting rules such as the buddy system, proper number of adults to children ratio, an adult can carry his own child in his car alone, but no other scout alone, there must be at least 2 scouts in the vehicle if they are not the children of that driver. This is all covered in the Child Protection course. If you have not been to one, contact your local council for more information. It protects you too!

Another route for community service is to look into the local Eagle Scout Projects. Part of the process of making Eagle is to be able to coordinate a work project utilizing personnel to get the job done within the projected time. Those scouts are always looking for help.

For 9 years, my boys have been going to an area that was destroyed by Hurricane Andrew. First, they tore out the exotic plants (aided in identifying plants) and then planted sawgrass. Each year following, they did a little more. This is an annual event that they just don't miss! The boys feel like they OWN that area. All that community service gives them a sense of ownership to the area that they live.

I could go on forever about this, but I'm sure that you get the idea.

Wishing you the best of luck in this, Beth
Old 09-11-2002, 09:18 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Beth--

Could you please explain scouting for books? Our group does scouting for food but I have never heard of the other. Is it like the toys for tots program?
Old 03-24-2005, 06:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lightbulb National Nutrition Month

Read here for information about the Boy Scouts' National Nutrition Month programs:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...threadid=14197
Old 11-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm going to talk to the Cubmaster for our pack this week about doing a skating party/toy drive at our local roller rink. My thinking is that the boys can have fun roller skating (and earning a patch or belt loop while they're at it) and we can raise some Christmas presents for needy children in state custody.

We hold our meetings at a local homeowner's association building. In return for them letting us meet there for free, we pick up trash on the grounds and in their park once a month. They've never asked us to do it, but I think it's good for the kids to give back when they receive.