Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Boys) Are you a den or troop leader, or an involved parent? Looking for help with meetings, crafts, ideas for outings? Ask your questions here!

Old 08-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Great service project!

I'm not sure if you're still looking, but our pack held an Alex's Lemonade stand this summer to raise money for childhood cancer research. It was wonderful because the kids were able to help other kids, and all they had to do was hand out free lemonade and have a donation jar for free will donations.
We do other service projects, but this one allowed us to earn the "Good Turn for America" award. Pretty cool and great exposure for the boys!
Old 08-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What a nice idea!

My DS is just finishing up his requirements for Life Scout, so he is starting to think about his Eagle project. It's really exciting to talk with him as he develops the ideas. A couple of years ago, he was ready to drop Scouting completely. Instead, he tried again with a different troop, which turned out to be a better fit, and then he was motivated to go all the way to Eagle.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Barbszy-
That is awesome! You must be proud that your ds is completing Life Scout rank and moving toward Eagle!
I have 5 boys in my den (Bear Cubs) and they all want to be Eagle Scouts. We have a wonderful Den Chief who is working on his Eagle Scout project and it gives the little guys such great inspiration.
In October our Cub Scout Pack is going to partner with a Boy Scout Troop in our area for a Project building trails. The Webelos will camp with the Boy Scouts overnight and they are so excited!
Of course, my 5 year old daughter can not wait to be a Boy Scout. Her heart broke when she learned she would never be a Cub Scout, so she says when she turns 14 she's becoming a Venturer!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bsktbug, I am proud of my Scout!

My daughter bailed on Brownies pretty early. She saw her big brother having much more fun in Boy Scouts. LOL!

Here's a service project that kids of Bear age can help with.

Our Boy Scout troop does this but I think Bears are old enough, with grownup supervision.

Just before Memorial Day, one of the Veterans groups (VFW or American Legion, can't remember which) sets flags on all the veterans' graves in the local cemetery. The Boy Scouts in DS's troop have partnered up with them, so the boys are doing the work of setting all the flags out.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:08 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

That does sound like a good project! We always look for more ideas and I'm putting that one in my binder for Committee Meeting.

My daughter wants to be in scouts, but we are looking to start an American Heritage Girls group. They are run more like Boy/Cub Scouts and are faith based. I'm still researching the information and it looks like she'll miss the first level because we will most likely charter this spring.

We would have the same charter as the Cubs and be expected to partner with them on certain activities/service projects. Since I am currently Committee Chair of the Cub Scout Pack and will serve on the AHG Committee too, I think it will behoove me to plan some things together.

What is your son thinking of doing for Eagle Scout project?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This project has not been approved yet, but here's the idea. It goes along with the cemetery work that the Scouts already do.

Last year right before Memorial Day, some drug addict stole most of the brass markers that veterans receive to hold flags at their graves, from 3 local cemeteries (including a military cemetery). One of those cemeteries is the one where our Scouts help with the flags.

They only recovered a few, though they caught the guy. Most had been taken to metal recyclers and melted down for money. It will take years for the markers to be replaced. We personally know some families who were very hurt by all this.

My son is thinking about contacting some flag companies to negotiate a wholesale rate on replacements, raising money through fundraisers and corporate sponsorships, getting the markers replaced and CEMENTING THEM IN.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thumbs up Excellent!

I think that is an excellent idea for an Eagle Scout project! Tell him good luck and good thinking! I wish him the best.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am a committe member and treasurer for our local trip. We have done several community projects. One was collecting items for our local http://www.momscookies.org/ to send over to the troops. Our past scoutmaster is serving right now and we make sure him and his team receive a box of goodies from home. Another on Memorial Day the local troops put flags on the Abraham Lincoln Cemetery.

Another big fundraiser of ours, volunteer to help direct traffic at the local fair. This saves them on security and the boys earned a nice check for the 3 days work. In the spring they volunteer for Dog Trials for the American Golden Retriever Society, they work the weekend throwing the duck in the water for the dogs to retrieve for competition.

We help boys with summer camp fees. to qualify the boy had advance in rank and work at all the fund raiser or a least half of the total of all 3 fundraisers. Depending on how many qualified we split the half of the fund raiser money with them for a rebate back on summer camp. Last year 6 boys qualified and they all received a refund back for summer camp. All 6 boys went to summer camp for free.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:30 PM

They could organize a walk for some charity.
I myself recommend Juvenile Diabetes.
My nephew has juvenile diabetes and we are "WALKING TO CURE DIABETES".

You can contact the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation at Type 1 Diabetes: Dedicated to Finding a Cure : Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International and ask them for some information.