Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Boys) Are you a den or troop leader, or an involved parent? Looking for help with meetings, crafts, ideas for outings? Ask your questions here!

Old 08-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wolf Scouts

My son just graduated from Tiger Scouts when school let out for the summer. Now he will be in Wolf Scouts. Anyone else here have a child going into Wolf Scouts?
Old 08-24-2002, 06:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,
I have a son that graduated last Summer from Tigers and is now a wolf. He went to Summer Day Camp and loved it. We've gone on our first outing already and have had one Pack and one Den meeting.
One of our challenges is that this year the Akela has to teach a class. My hubby is just beside himself with trying to figure out what to do. He is multi talented but has never done anything like this before. My greatest challenge is getting those patches on. I don't sew. Everything we've tried fails.
We have a busy month in Oct We have a camping trip to the scout camp and we have a trip to the beach to sleep on the battleship, the USS Yorktown.
My son loves scouting. I'm glad he does.
Robin
Old 08-24-2002, 08:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I do not have son going into wolf scouts but He will be receving his life scout award in September and is patrol leader this year in his troop. So I wanted to drop a note of encouragement to stick with scouting I was my sons cub scout leader until he moved up to boy scouting at twelve. And it was most rewarding watching him grow in scouting and learning the moral values that it teaches. So help your son by supporting him and one day he will acheive Eagle Scout as I hope my son will do.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:04 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have one wolf and one tiger. They both went to summer camp this year and loved it. I am co leader with another mom and so far we still haven't don' anything. School just started so we are going to have to get on the ball. Our pack isn't the best so scouting isn't exactly the most fun experience for the parents. The kids all seem to have a wonderful time and that is what counts.

My 8 year old wrote a paper last year stating that his dream is to be an eagle scout. That is one that is framed and up on the wall.

My 1st grader is really looking forward to toigers starting. He did everything with his older brother last year and can't wait to actually get to mark things off in his own book.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone,
I know times have changed. Back in the mid 80's I was a den leader for 4 years. Our troop grew from 1 wolf 1 bear and 1 weblo, to 2 tiger 4wolf 4 bear and 4 weblo. We had a blast. There are all kinds of resources to go to (a lot on the web) we used to go to workshops, pow-wows and other den leaders would share their info and knowledge. You can also call or go online to Boy Scouts of America, they are more than willing to help. It also helps if you get the parents involved, I personally did not give the parents a choice, it made the boys feel good that they participated. Another den leader and myself were in charge of the Blue and Gold Banquet 4 years running, all of the leaders were very involved. You might try to contact other area troops to get some answers. I hope that this info is helpful. Susan

Old 08-28-2002, 11:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My Son is a Wolf Scout too

My son will also be a wolf in cub scouts this year. After just joining in September with my son. I decided I could help out the pack by keeping track of the advancement records. I started going to roundtables, and adult leaders meetings, training etc. And I decided I really liked cub scouting too. In April, our acting cubmaster needed to resign his position, due to council responsiblities. At one meeting I told a group of other leaders I was considering taking the cubmaster position. They in turn surprised me and said, "We were talking about asking you to do it" We have had a great summer break. Fishing, Swimming, Day Camp, a BBQ and baseball, plus mini golf, and we were in our local parade, (of which we won a third place trophy.) We have some of the greatest parents, who make everything we do great. The boys have a blast, and with everyone chipping in it works great. And don't settle of a pack, that doesn't "do anything". Scouting should be fun, get in there and mention some fun activities, offer to help talk to someone to arrange it. Then enlist the help of other parents. (Lots of people want to help, but don't know what they could do.) Parents who love fishing, are great resources for information on fishing spots. Parents also have other great hobbies that they would be willing to share.

Everyone have a great scouting year. I know we will!!!
Old 08-28-2002, 12:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

want to get more involved

I want to get more involved with it this year. Last semester, my hubby took my son and I never felt I knew what was going on. Plus, HUGE bummer here, the awards and programs always fell on weekends that my son went to visit his dad (2 hours away) so he always missed the special stuff, which to me is half of the fun of belonging to the scouts! Hoping if I get involved I can get them to plan some extra stuff when my son is actually around to participate.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Robin,
As far the patches, go to Walmart (or any material store or craft store) in the craft/material section and see if they carry "Quick Bond" or "Quick Hem" just iron it on. I'm not sure of the name just ask and tell them what you need it for and they will know. Susan
Old 08-29-2002, 11:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,
Thanks for the idea! I did try some stuff that you cut to fit patches and then iron on and it held until I washed his shirt and then the patches just fell right off. =( I'm going to go again to the craft store and surly they will have something that's suitable.
He's very excited and wants to be in uniform for his meetings. His den also grew greatly this year. They went from having just 6 or 7 boys to 17! Thank heavens for den parents and leaders!
Again, thanks! Robin