Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Boys) Are you a den or troop leader, or an involved parent? Looking for help with meetings, crafts, ideas for outings? Ask your questions here!

Old 08-19-2002, 07:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

vcudnik--

Thank you so much for all the info. I tried to call our local scouts but they were already closed for the day.

gina.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Many packs schedule rally nights at the schools during the first month of school. Keep an eye out for flyers in your son's take-home folder. This is a good opportunity to get information about the pack in your neighborhood.

The registration fees for Cub Scouts are going up to $10 in January 2003, and the subscription to Boys' Life magazine is $9. Some packs (like ours) don't charge dues, they earn money to pay expenses through fund-raising projects (popcorn, scout fair tickets, bake sales, etc.).

The Tiger Cub uniform consists of a t-shirt (required) ball cap and belt. You definitely want to get the belt so he'll have a place to put all those belt loops. You should be able to purchase all three items for around $20. The adult partner should also purchase a t-shirt. Next year the uniform gets more elaborate (and more expensive), but that one can be worn for 2-3 years.

Our pack has a special den for sisters and little brothers. They are called Me-Too's. They have their own program and activities to keep them busy while their brothers attend den meetings. Me-Too's also participate in Pinewood Derby, Raingutter Regatta, family camping, etc.

I don't think that you can make a better investment of your time or money. Scouting is something that the whole family can enjoy. My husband enrolled our son in Tigers 4 years ago and he has enjoyed every moment. He is really looking forward to next year when he promotes to Boy Scouts (Feb/March). He's already set his goal to earn Eagle. (Yep, I'm a proud Cub Scout Mom!)

Enjoy!
Le'Ann
Old 09-05-2002, 06:16 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Question Too Old to Join Scouts?

My son is 8 years old and has never been involved in Scouting. Is that going to be a problem? I'm wondering if he had to be involved all along since the 1st grade or if he can just jump in now in the 3rd grade. Anyone know?

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 09-05-2002, 08:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

No problem with him joining at age 8. Each (cub) year stands on its own up until Boy Scouts.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My son recieved a flyer from school about joing the scouts. The kids & parent(s) met at school yesterday afternoon. I am now officially a Tiger Cub mom! We have to pick him up a t-shirt & I think I'll look for the belt & hat you mentioned vcudnik. Might have to get mom, dad & sis a t-shirt also. We're looking forward to a great year! Thanks for everyones notes!
-samanthaj
Old 09-06-2002, 05:40 AM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

vcudnik,

That's good news. Thanks. I'll call the school today and see what I should do about getting him signed up.

~Mother Teresa
Old 10-23-2003, 03:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

New Scouting Question

My son has been a Boy Scout for 6 months. Last night at the Court of Honor he received 2 pins for ranks he has achieved. I have to put the badge on his shirt but he says the pins are for ME!
My question is, what do I do with these pins? Is there a special way to wear/display them? I don't just want to stick them in a box. I am proud of my Scout and his achievements!
Old 10-23-2003, 04:31 AM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

I wear my pins on one of my sweaters. I am occasionally asked about them and then get the chance to brag about my son. The fact of the matter is, they're your pins. You can wear them or box them, your choice.

~Mother Teresa
Old 10-23-2003, 05:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

There is a special display pin/ribbon for parents. You attach the rank pins to the ribbon and pin the whole thing to your jacket, shirt, etc. Check with your local scout shop for this item. They run around $5.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Assistant Moderator

many packs and troops gives out a ribbon in the begging to the moms, where the boys can pin these pins onto the ribbon.

we used to give them out when I was a committee chairman and cubmaster.

I even made our ribbons to save money.

cross grain ribbon works well the med to wide width. for cubs I did it seveal ways... for I was in more than one pack.
we did a solid yellow ribbon, then another time we did blue ribbon with a yellow narrow ribbon down the wide blue ribbon.
for the scouts we did red ribbon, unless son is in Varisty then that is orange

also I seen were the moms gets a charm bracelet and buy the chairms of that rank to put onto the charm bracelet.

hope this helps.