Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Scouting (Boys) Are you a den or troop leader, or an involved parent? Looking for help with meetings, crafts, ideas for outings? Ask your questions here!

Old 07-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Recruiting?

Well, summer is almost over. Day camp is the end of the week for us, and August is back to school . . .
We have our first big pack event scheduled - a fall Family Camp with Rocket Launch in September, but . . .
We need ideas for recruiting boys and parents.

It seems that the schools here don't hand out the fliers that are dropped off, we'll have a table at back to school nights, but this last year, we lacked pizazz. I would welcome and and all ideas for recruiting more scouts and parent volunteers!
Thanks!
Carrie Ann
Wolf Den Leader, Den 2, Pack 490
Western Colorado Council
Old 07-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

recruiting for boyscouts

One of the ways Girlscout recruiting is done here in Greenville, TX is at the mall. They set up 2 long tables (| | or --| ) with a space inbetween for them to stand. One table was for information and the other was for signing up, fun activities, etc.

Also, ask a grocery store for space outside of the store. Usually they are amiable. Have a flyer to show them with information about all the famous people who were in scouts or better yet - Eagle Scouts.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

ways I've seen or done in the past

1) if the school allows you to, stand outside of it to pass out flyers
2) when they do the opening night for met the teachers, have a table set up in the hallways to recuit
3)have a special day at a park with a theme and put it in the paper to get kids to come out and join the fun, and a table set up to recruit
4) radio stations
5) posters around town
6)newspapers stories

there may be other ways, but this is all I can think of at this time.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Does the school have a weekly news/informational letter that is sent to the home. Maybe you can put something in there regarding an informational meeting and a contact persons phone number, email. Have a scout "open house" night at the school with information and representatives from all levels of scouting there and some of the projects and events that they do. Is there a community bulletin board in the school office? Ask if you can leave info with the teachers instead of the office of the grades you are recruiting in for Cub/Boy Scouts might be an idea. They will have to okay it, but then you will be putting it directly in the age groups you are focusing on. What do the girl scouts and brownies do? Maybe you can combine and have an open house night together. Good luck, I think is is harder today to get kids in scouts than when I was a leader. Too many activities for the kids, and their time is pretty scheduled.

Lizajane
Old 07-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I'm not sure what you have on your tables, but visual things really help in promoting things. If you haven't already, you could post pictures of past fun activities and some earning awards or the awards that can be earned and other accomplishments. If you had someone in uniform there it would be even better. It is difficult to get parents to volunteer now since everyone is so busy.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Laura had some good suggestions. If you're doing a rocket project, BRING ONE and put it on the table! I guarantee that will draw curious people.
Scouts of all ages, in uniforms, with badges....samples of pine cars from the derby, anything visual will really help.

I am sad to see how low Scouting has gone on the totem pole. Last week when we dropped off DS's camp trunk, a mom was there with her 3 boys. Only the oldest is in Scouts. The others are old enough but she is "too busy" and they are "too busy with sports" to be in it.

Did you know that 11 of 12 astronauts who walked on the moon were Boy Scouts? (There's a good slogan for that recruiting table!)

Scouting helps boys explore many interests, as opposed to sports, which are more narrow. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. To me, it's worth the time commitment.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:35 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It's been a while since I've been on the board, but thought I'd post an update. Thanks for the helpful ideas.
We made a huge poster of a cub scout with a Lasso (made from real rope) that said Cub Scout Roundup. Then we had a bunch of the boys practicing knot tying at one end, inviting boys to learn.
The other pack in town and ours decided to work together on recruitment and divide the boys by what night they preferred to meet.
They brought a scrapbook of activities, and we passed out a lot of info.
I'm happy to say that we doubled our pack size!!!! We went from around 17 kids to 37. A few have faded out, but we have 33 coming regularly!
We are already planning recruitment for this next year.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

It sounds like your efforts really paid off!