Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Re: i just started my e-fund

Quote:
Originally posted by sue witt
another thing i have been doing is at the end of the month when i get my bank statement i start over again at 0.00 and i put the leftover in saving account at the same bank some months i write a check for 2.66 but that is 2.66 saved. one thing i have learned from my personal experince is that i need to go over my fiances everyday. in the past i would just not worry about it and this way i can see my plan it is always better when a plan comes together.
Sue, I love that idea and I have been thinking about it all day. I have a question. Do you have bills that come in at different times of the year that take more to cover? Like we pay our insurance quarterly and it is a big bill. Would I take money out of savings that month to cover it?

BTW Are you still working from home? How is that going?
Old 08-01-2002, 07:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Renee, What a great idea! Do you use that savings for emergencies or just to save?

I look at my accounts everyday, then I know exactly where it all is going! Also I heard that you should look in your wallet and organize your money everyday too! Put 5, 10's, 20's, and 1's together. It is something about having respect for your money and you will always have some....all I can say...it works for me!

janet
Old 08-02-2002, 07:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

this is what i do

when i do my monthly bill i round each check to the next dollar. ex my cable bill is 31.99 so i round it to 33.00 so i have 1.01 left. i dont keep track of change in my checking account. at the end of the month i withdraw the remainder after all of my checks have cleared.one thing about the car insurance do you pay it monthly now and hope to do it quartley? insurance company's will give you a discount for automatic withdraw from your bank. i signed up and i think it saved us right much anyway i can remember being happy with it.here in va you have got to have it the dmv will fine you and suspen your driving previlages with out it one little slip up and they have the right to do it without going to court .I used to get proof of insurance letters from them all of the time and i have not got a sigle one after i sign up for automatic draft i would wait until the last day to pay insurance and they would notify that i had not pay and the cycle went on and on. Now i dont get any of those letters anymore.The money in my other savings account i save for big ticket items. like a car i will be needing one soon. I just done everything backwards that is the way i work i also have a seperate checking account from the joint account to pay things like doctor bills and upcoming repairs for the house and the car and other little things like birthday/christmas stuff like that. I made my mistake by putting all of my eggs in one basket. and thinking i had money leftover when i really did not and i would spend it and then a repair would come up and no money left then i would rely on credit OUCH>>>> now i just put 50.00 a week there and use it when i need to.My bank offers lifetime free checking so the only cost was the checks i had to purchase about 13.00. It is sort of like the Mary hunt way of doing things but with a twist.P.s do you want to know what my vaction fund is made up of CHANGE collected all year by the dh we will be leaving for the beach in a week and it looks like everything will be paid for so i want have to dip into any of my funds YEEPH> let me know if you need anymore help sue Oh went back to work and loving it i went into the pravite sector of medicine i sit will a lovely older man and he has tought me alot about money. He said he made is 1 million by collecting things noone else wanted like cans and junk and he would resale them
Old 08-02-2002, 07:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks Sue, I think I get it. A couple of friends of mine used to round out the amounts in the checkbook. I am married to an accountant and he would KILL me if I did that. Everything must be to the penny. (OK, he wouldn't really kill me.) We are good about saving, but I am always interested in new ways. I can't get too fancy or he will go back to paying the bills, and he really doesn't have time.

Glad you like your new job.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:35 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

"married to an accountant"

Renee - I'm also married to an accountant, most people find it amusing that I pay the bills and keep track of all the money, but...........I enjoy it and my husband doesn't. In fact at his job he has an assistant that pays all the bills (He's a treasurer for a private high school) he just keeps track of all the tuition payments and does all the reports to give to the board,etc....
Anyway.....I love paying bills and that kind of stuff.....wish I knew how to go about starting my own business paying bills for people, or small businesses.
Okay enough -- :-)
Old 08-02-2002, 08:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Sue, sounds like a great idea but my hubby is a financial secretary and he would pop his cork if I rounded things off...everything has to be exact and to the penny! I let him do the bill paying, I like to pay the bills as they come in and he likes to wait till the last minute...and with the mail these days it takes longer than usual...his method drives me bonkers so I just stay out of it...I just always assume there isn't any money to be spent and it keeps me from impulse buying.

Shopping is no longer fun for me, so I just window shop online and dream about new things...lol

janet
Old 08-02-2002, 04:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Re: "married to an accountant"

Quote:
Originally posted by lworth
Renee - I'm also married to an accountant, most people find it amusing that I pay the bills and keep track of all the money, but...........I enjoy it and my husband doesn't. -- :-)
DH paid our bills the first 2 years of our marriage, but he also had me sign the checks. His philosophy was that money is the #1 thing couples fight over. If we both know on a monthly basis where our money is going, then there will be less to fight about. Now I write out the bills because he is too busy, but he makes time to sign the checks too.