Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Are you a Bank of America customer??

I don't know if this is the right spot to post this but I was wondering if anyone is a member of Bank of America? I live in Michigan and we don't have one in our area. The closest one is about 3 hours away but I was considering opening one via the internet. We keep seeing the commercials on tv for rounding up the change to the nearest dollar and putting it into your accounts. It sounds great if you're trying to save. I would love to have some advice on it and some personal experiences about them. Are they good? Would you recommend them?

Patsi
Old 08-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Patsi, I don't know what you are talking about so I hope somebody who does posts something.

However, I have them for my college loans and if I am not mistaken, they are one of Bobby's sponsors.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Patsi

I have been using the Bank of America here in Washington state for almost 6 years. DH and I have been very happy with thier service. As far as the savings plan of rounding up when using your debit/credit card they have been advertising that here in WA as well. I called my local branch and was told that it was not available in this state (for whatever reason the bank manager declined to give a specific reason, her answer was that the banks here in WA thought it was just a gimmick and would not support it, which I thought and told her was not an acceptable answer as far as I was concerned). If they ever decide to institute the program here in WA I will most definietely be signing up, any way to save a few extra pennies a month is a good thing in my book.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Not fans of Bank of America

Hi Patsi,

We live in California, and both my ds and dd (both in college) have accounts with Bank of America. They have regular checking/savings accounts -- not the "round up the change" programs (although it is available in California). They opened up their accounts when they started college, because B of A had convenient ATM's and branches near their schools. However, we have had problems with B of A. On two separate occasions, they lost deposits to my ds's account (the teller posted it to a stranger's account!). Both my ds and dd primarily do on-line banking, and both say that B of A is slow to credit any deposits (i.e. a deposit is "pending" for several days). I also have noticed that B of A usually has the lowest interest rate for savings/cd's/interest checking in our area.

Although the "rounding up the change" is a cute program, it is relatively a small amount of money (B of A limits the total amount they will round up). I think that it is probably best to find a bank with the best interest rates around and with a local branch that you can access if necessary.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have had a BA checking and savings account for several years now. I opened my account online because the nearest brick & mortair is about 3 hours away. Initally, I had problems changing my pin but that's it. I use the online banking and bill pay. I've transferred funds to/from other accounts with no problems.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I opened a Bank of America account at a nearby branch only because I had to switch money around (don't agree with FDIC regulations) but it is only to keep money in there that I am not using until I absolutely need to. I have my main checking and savings account at a different bank and am very happy with them since I pay the majority of bills online. They (Bank of America) did have a higher rate of interest for a savings account that I combined with another account.

One thing I will say is that I keep getting fraudulent e mails from a site claiming to be Bank of America and it keeps asking for personal information which legitimate banks will NEVER do. In case you receive one (and you will know right away), Bank of America has e mail address that you can forward the fraudulent website to for investigation. It is [email protected]. Also if anyone banks with North Fork Bank (I don't but once you get on a fraudulent list, even with spam blocking, goes into a separate folder with my ISP) you can forward their fraud sites to [email protected]. Thought I would pass along this information to all. May save someone a lot of heartache.

LI Roe
Old 08-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My ATM card was stolen form my son while I was in the hospital, he called to report it stolen but because the card was in my name and not his they wouldn't allow him to report it.
They supposedly investigated the thefts and claimed I was the who made 55 gas purchases in 3 days and 14 fast food for a total over $2500.
I wish I knew how I did that from the hospital.
Even though I was the person who opened the account and had my son added after he turned 18 the bank is after him to repay the $2500 plus $1000 in bank fees.
The bank told him records indicate that he opened the account even though he was 16 when I opened the account, and by law in Fl. was wasn't allowed to open a checking account.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I would say that I would not recommend it because it can be somewhat annoying.
Online posting is not always real time and this only works when you are using a card, if I am not wrong. Unless you like numbers then go for it. You can easily bounce by one penny when they start to take out the money for "keep the change."

Last edited by lrivetz; 08-30-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bank of America- keep the change program

Dear Patsi,

My husband and I openend a Bank of Aerica account, and I did it over the internet. It was fast, and easy, and I was approved in no time, then went to the bank several days later, to make the first deposit. (I think you can do this over the net as well). I have been happy with them, and we have a checking and savings there, as well as are enrolled int eh "Keep the change" program, which they match, for a specific amount of time, etc. We live in North East Georgia, not sure where you live, but, Id recommend them.

We have 2 checking accounts, his, and mine, (LOL), and MINE and his, (this one is at Bank of America), we also have 2 savings accounts, his, that is with the state, and the one at Bank of America.

Hope this helps, we also shopped around recently, for a smaller CD, and found that his older account, the bank it is with had the best rates.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Nine Year Member

I have been a Fleet Bank customer for over 20 years and I've always liked them. Other than having a few problems when Bank of America bought them out a little while ago, the new owners are pretty much the same. I haven't signed up for the keep the change thing though. Mostly cause I'm such a procrastinator.