Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question Window problem

I am renting a very old house that has a window cell.
During winter its hard to keep the house warm because the cold air from outside is coming in and the warm air from inside is going out.

I would like for my landlord to replace the windows because my electric is always up during winter.

Is it my landlords responsibility to replace the window or is it mine as the renter?
Old 10-01-2003, 10:03 AM
Nine Year Member

irivetz ~~~~ Usually the landlord is responsible for repairs. If your landlord does not want to replace them he can caulk them with a foam or trim to stop the air from coming in. You can also do it yourself if he won't. Shame to spend money on high bills if it can be prevented.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:20 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

window

I have not ask him yet. I will try to ask him this weekend.

I already ask him to fix some of the stuff at home and so far he has done nothing. the kitchen exhaust is not working. Lights and electric fans are not working.

Cold air is coming and we have no heater, this is really something else.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

As Sueanne said there are things you can do yourself to stop the cold/hot air leaks. A visit to Lowes or Home Depot will find LOTS of ways. You culd offer to do this for him and ask if he'd take if off the rent. Get iit in writing though.

If he continues to ignore problems that need fixing then I would personally have a talk with the local housing authority. Does he rent using a realtor? See the realty board. There must be some way to force him to shape up. In our tiny little town the Mayor has taken on slum lords and they are being forced to fix up houses or the city will go in and raze them and charge the owner.

Good luck
Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: LOLPennyPincher-subs[email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 10-02-2003, 06:48 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

nagymom

I will that.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Nine Year Member

Hi Irivetz, Is it a house or a mobile home. It is dangerous when electrical fixtures don't work. Most of the times it has a shorted wire. Let us know what the landlord says.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Sueanne

Its a house.

A couple of weeks ago. Hubby and the landlord wrote the problem down. Few days after that he called and told me that the fix it guy is coming down around 3pm or 5pm. I work 8 to 5.
I went home at 2pm and no one showed up. I called the landlord and he does not know where the fix it guy is. Days pass he called me saying that they are finally going to see what the problems are. I alread took a half day off from work and I cannot take off anytime that I pleased. I told him that I cannot go home and meet them becaused of same.

I hope he is not going to used this as an excuse.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Nine Year Member

irivetz ~~~~ I would let them come at your convience now. There is always Saturdays or at night when you are home. Let him know what time you are available to fix the problems. Don't take any excuses just state what you want.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I've been there with repair-bug people-contractors myself. It's so difficult to get them to come at times. I know one finally told me that there is so much work for them that they can pick and choose who'll they respond to. It's so FRUSTRATING and you'd think they'd be a little more considerate even with all the work since much of it comes from word of mouth. When we bought this house last year we had an appointment for a termite inspection as part of the closing. It was set up for 9AM. I had 3 hungry grandkids and not much food in the house since we had just moved in 2 days before so when they ahdn't arrived at 10:30 I left, leaving a note for them when I'd be back. They had the nerve to tell the realtor that they were "a few minutes late". I informed the realotr it was more like 1 1/2 hours late when I finally gave up. They got here in a hurry then because they were close to losing the realty business due to lieing about it.

Anyway--hang in there. As Sueanne suggested, I'd ask the landlord to set it up for weekend or evening if at all possible and if not, leave a list of all that's wrong and let him come over and handle it while you're at work. It is after all HIS property so HE should ultimately be responsible. My dh and I have been landlords ourselves, and were long distance landlords at that so everyone needs to work together.

Keep us up on what happens!

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 10-06-2003, 09:43 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Sueanne

I told the landlord I will leave the house open for them and so far none have done.