Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Relationships > Faith Topics > Religion

Old 02-18-2009, 05:02 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Question Ash Wednesday

Do you go to church on Ash Wednesday?

I try and go on Ash Wednesday every year.

I haven't been very good on going to church lately. Any ideas on how to get myself motivated on going to church on a regular basis again? When the kids were smaller it was easier because I took them.

Charlotte
Old 02-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am Catholic and always attend on Ash Wednesday.

Do other Christian denominations have services on Ash Wednesday, or is that just a Catholic thing?

As to making sure you "get there," I think the best thing to do is just to plan to do it and then do it. Get involved in a ministry that means you HAVE to be there, if that's what it takes. And I would also encourage you to pray about it. Let God know that you have been reluctant to attend church, and that you want to change--and ask for God's help in making that change. Call a friend and go together, if you don't go with your spouse.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, Barb some other denominations do observe Ash Wednesday, but not all. I was raised in the Lutheran church and there were services on Ash Wednesday as well as the other Wed. nights during Lent.

My Mom always said church had to be a habit. I know that isn't necessarily a good reason to go to church, but she maintained you had to get there for it to do some good.

Barb had some good suggestions for getting involved in your church. I think becoming part of a church "family" really helps regular attendence.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I am not sure but think Episcopalian church has Ash Wednesday service too.
I love going to church and always have. If it takes "being a habit" then fine after awhile it may become something you just want/need to do. Good luck and God bless
Old 02-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I agree it has to be a habit to go to church. Its easy when you get involved in the church you attend. Friends will help you keep going on a regular basis. I'm catholic too. It was hard for me to keep going in the beginning because my husband is not Catholic and we raised our 4 kids in his religion so I just had to make up my mind and go.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am Catholic too and I go to services on Ash Wednesday every year.
Barb was right, get involved in something at the church. I am in the choir, but there are lecters (sp?) that read the readings and some of the prayers in our parish. I'm sure there are similar positions available in just about any religion that has similar services.

Missing my Mom...1/15/07 ~ 1/15/16
Nine years without my best friend

**.ƸӜƷ**
Old 02-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I was brought up Cumberland Presbyterian and now I am Methodist and we celebrate ash Wednesday. We leave the church with a cross on our foreheads made with ashes. Personally I try to give up something for lent every year even though that is not part of our religion.

I agree with everyone else about being motivated to go. It does help to have a church family that will encourage you to attend and it also helps to go to church where you feel welcome.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I am very blessed my church/congregation is very friendly and family orientated. If some one does not attend you can bet that person will get a call unless they know the reason why did not attend. I will be visited by several when I go to the hosp in April and get phone calls hosp and home later. I love my church
Old 02-21-2009, 07:39 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Pag it is great to have a church that cares about you. I think my church is so large that have lost that.

When we live in NC years ago. We had that kind of church and it was great. Dh and I are looking for that again. We will find it God will help us.

Charlotte
Old 02-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

You will find the "right" church God will lead you to it. Headed to bed hopefully I can sleep