Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-28-2004, 04:35 AM

Frugal Recipes

I thought this might be a good place to share recipes that are frugal. What I would like to see is in the subject line the name of the recipe and if possible when submitting the recipe, try to include the amount of servings and estimated cost and possibly suggestions for side dishes that you have used. Thanks and hope everyone enjoys.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 01-28-2004 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:43 AM

Lettuce Soup- Estimated Cost $5.00

Makes 4 first course servings.

2 heads of Boston lettuce ( about 3/4 lb. total)
cored, thinly shredded
3 cups low salt chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup water
2 tbs. unsalted butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Freshly grated nutmeg
Parsley leaves, for garnish

Combine the lettuce, broth and water in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover the pan. Reduce heat and simmer gently 40 minutes.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender with the butter until smooth. Return the soup to the pot. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg. heat through. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with parsley.

This recipe comes from The Columbus Dispatch food section. I would serve this with a crusty bread and maybe Chunky Applesauce as a desert. Bon Appetit!

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 01-28-2004 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Chili for 4

I made "refrigerator chili" last night.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wendy's Chili

Recipe By :Top Secret Recipes (Todd WIlbur)
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :20:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds ground beef -- browned and drained
1 can tomato sauce -- 29 ounces
2 cans kidney beans -- 15 ounces
2 cans pinto beans -- 15 ounces
1 onion -- diced
1 can green chiles -- diced (small can)
1 stalk celery -- diced
1 can stewed tomatoes -- 15 ounces
2 teaspoons cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
2 cups water

Drain beans.

Combine all ingredients. Cook over low heat for 2 or 3 hours, stirring often.

You can substitute 3 or 4 chopped fresh tomatoes for the stewed tomatoes, or one pint of home canned.

Basically I followed this recipe except I used leftover taco meat from the last time we had tacos (so I omitted the taco seasoning). I had also chopped up too much onion and pepper for Taco Night, so that went in. And I used up the last of the celery that was left over from some other time.

All I had to put in new was a couple of spices, 1 can tomato sauce (25 cents), 1 can tomatoes with chili (50 cents at the most, got it on sale with coupons), and a 50-cent can of beans. So for 1.25 I used up a bunch of leftovers that might have been wasted, and got enough chili for 4 or 6 bowls.

Last edited by barbszy; 07-05-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:09 AM

Tomato Pudding-Makes 6 Servings

Here is a warm winter dessert to use some of those tomatoes from the garden if you preserved them last summer.

1 cup brown sugar (or use brown sugar substitute for diabetics such as Sweet N Low)
1 cup tomato puree
1 loaf sliced bread (it calls for white but I would use wheat or multigrain for healthier choice) crusts removed, cubed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly oil a medium size casserole dish. Combine the sugar and tomato puree ina small saucepan and simmer over medium heat 10 minutes.
Arrange the bread cubes evenly in the prepared dish. Pour the melted butter over the bread. Pour the tomato mixture over the bread and mix gently to evenly coat the bread.
Sprinkle top with cinnamon. Bake for 30 minutes.

Anna
Old 01-28-2004, 05:19 AM

Leftovers Made Over Always A Hit

Barbzy-

That sounds wonderful, especially during this cold weather.Using up leftovers is always frugal and of course, better for the environment than throwing away.

Anna
Old 01-28-2004, 08:08 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

10.00 for the wk

Thankfully I have never had this happened (not since my early 20's that is!) Here is a website that might interest you.

http://www.budget101.com/$10_grocery_list.htm
Old 01-28-2004, 09:01 AM

Leighann-

I am so glad you remembered to include that link, that is a excellant site.

Another good one for economical homemade recipes is:

www.hillbillyhousewife.com

It has a wonderful recipe for homemade Ranch Dressing.

Anna
Old 02-03-2004, 10:52 AM

Homemade Catalina Dressing Est. Cost Per Batch $1.00

***Catalina French Dressing***

2/3 cup ketchup

1/4 cup oil

1/4 cup vinegar

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt (optional, we don't use it)

1 teaspoon wet mustard

1 teaspoon onion powder

Take out a medium sized bowl and a whisk, or you can make this in a blender. Measure the ketchup, oil and vinegar into the bowl. Whisk very well, to blend in the oil completely. Add the sugar, salt mustard and onion powder. Whisk again, until it is thick, glossy and smooth. Or to make it in a blender just measure everything into the blender and whirl it until it is smooth. Store in a pint size canning jar. Makes about 1 1/3 cups. This stuff tastes so good, you will be amazed.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:57 AM

Honey Catalina-Est. Cost per Batch $1.00

***Honey Catalina Dressing***

1/4 to 1/3 cup honey

1/3 cup ketchup

1/4 cup vinegar

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup oil

1 tablespoon poppy seeds

This can be prepared in a bowl, using a whisk, or in the blender. To use a bowl, first combine the honey and ketchup in a bowl, with a wire whisk. Add the vinegar, onion powder and salt. Mix very well. Add the oil, a little at a time. Mix the oil all the way into the ketchup mixture before adding more. I add about 3 tablespoons of oil at a time, mix it in all the way, and add about 3 more. When the oil is completely mixed in, stir in the poppy seeds. This dressing may also be prepared in the blender. First combine the honey, ketchup, vinegar, onion and salt in the blender, whirling until smooth. Then, with the blender still running, slowly add the oil in a narrow stream. Continue blending until it is emulsified and smooth. Lastly stir in the poppy seeds. Store this dressing in a pint sized container in the fridge. It tastes best when allowed to sit overnight, but is still good when used right after preparing.

This is one of my dh's favorite dressings.

Anna
Old 02-03-2004, 11:12 AM

Ranch Dressing Est. Cost $1.00 per Batch

***Ranch Dressing***

1 cup mayonnaise

1 cup buttermilk or yogurt (dry buttermilk is fine)

2 teaspoons parsley

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

Dash of dill weed

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Get out a medium sized bowl. Measure the mayonnaise into it. Gradually whisk in the buttermilk or yogurt. If you use powdered buttermilk, whisk in the powder first, and then slowly add a cup of water. Then add the seasonings. Whisk again. Or you can make it in the blender by putting everything into the blender and whirling until smooth. The mixture will be a little thin, but it will thicken on standing. Store in a pint size jar, makes 2 cups. Keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks. Tastes really good with yogurt by the way. This is my favorite way of making it. It tastes good with powdered buttermilk too, but the consistancy is thinner than with yogurt.

Note: If desired, you may add a tablespoon of Parmesan Cheese and/or a tablespoon of lemon juice to the dressing in addition to the seasonings above.

This is one of my favorites

Anna