Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

$5 dinners

What's your best $5 dinner? I need ideas for whole meals, not just entrees. Thanks in advance, dawny
Old 12-27-2002, 09:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

wow i am just joining this subject... i need a lot of cheap ideas also
Old 12-29-2002, 09:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

$5 menue ideas

Just joined the group and my families favorite inexpensive meal is smoked sausage boiled with chunks of potatoe and either green beans or carrots added to the pot. When all cooked together the aroma is great and everything has that smokie flavor.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking

New to this area. I am always looking for new ideas on how to feed my family of six for $5 or less. Any ideas. One of my family favorites is tacos, black beans, and salad.

LadyLynn mom to four and wife to Donny

Last edited by LadyLynn; 03-05-2003 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

One of our favorites is a quickie. certainly in the price range you are looking for. We love Zatarains Black Beans & Rice, add a salad and you have a meal. One box serves 4 plentiful servings. Sometimes we fix 3 boxes at once when there is a crowd. Always goes over well.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

One of our favorite menus for an inexpensive meal is a latin dinner.

Home-made yellow rice and gandules, (1-1/2 C rice, 1 can pigeon peas,( $.69) 1 8-oz. cans tomato sauce, $.54) soffrito ( home-made) and sazon make 8-10 side dish sized servings)

Herb-baked chicken drumsticks or thighs, ( whichever is on sale $.69/lb)

canned green-beans with a butter and lemon/garlic sauce
(3/$1.00)

and green salad with home-made Italian dressing.

Desert is devils' food cake ($.99/box) with a confectioner's sugar and milk glaze... and coffee.

The coffee, rice, sugar, spices and basics for the yellow rice seasoning as well as the salad dressing are staples in my pantry. The rest of the meal comes in at under $5.00 for a family of four without a problem. ( and I live in the NYC area, grocery prices in general here are rather expensive)

Last edited by Lifestar; 12-29-2002 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

hello everyone.one of our favorite meals at our house is spaghetti and garlic bread with a side salad.we don't eat dessert very often so it is a cheap meal.less then 5.00 were i live.so if fishsticks,macaroni and cheese,and a vegetable.and i lucky all my family loves hamburger helper and chicken helpers.the new homestyle bakes are just 2.78 a box here in idaho ,and they are a complete meal.so i buy two and put one up for later.you can add leftover salad.which is what i do.soup and crackers is alway good now that it is cold.i try to never spend more then 5.00 on any meal.so i also use coupons for just about everything.tuna melt and french fries.i could go on and on.i hope this help some
emmalee
Old 12-30-2002, 07:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I buy Plumrose canned hams on sale for under two dollars. They are already cooked so I just heat mine in the oven and serve it with potatoes and a green vegetable.

The leftover ham goes into a quiche (I can buy 18 eggs for .99), with frozen, thawed and squeezed spinach and cheddar cheese.

I also make ham salad from the leftovers for my lunch.

The spinach always is on sale as is the cheese. This meal costs about $4.00 with the addition of rolls and butter.
Veterinary Internal Medicine & Oncology
Old 12-30-2002, 09:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Five dollar suppers

Our old standby would be the spaghetti also. I make my own garlic toast by toasting bread, spread margarine and sprinkle garlic salt on it. I buy the Hunts spaghetti sauce, Chunky Herb for $.67 and a can of diced tomatoes($.75) to make it go further. I add seasonings like salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and parsley, all staples at my house that I buy at Dollar General for $.50 each.

A trick is to find out when your supermarket puts out the 'reduced for quick sale' meat, the ones that need to be sold on that date. Stock up on your meats that way. I got ground beef for $.94/pound a few weeks ago, already packaged and separated, just threw them in the deep freeze.

Another favorite in our house is quesadillas. I take a pound of whatever steak is on sale, $1.99 or less, marinade in lime juice, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic, and cumin, for about 30 minutes, slice thin, and brown. Remove from heat, add a dollup of margarine, place flour tortilla in pan (2 pkgs/$1.00 at thrift store), place grated cheese, meat, and more cheese on top. Fold tortilla over, grill till nicely browned, flip over and do other side. Add a can of refried beans ($.87) and a pkg of spanish rice (walmart brand is great) ($.67) and it is a meal.

A quickie and cheapy is beef stew on a plate, as I call it. I take a pound of my reduced price ground beef, brown with onions, add a can of green beans ($.33), can of corn ($.33) and a can of carrots ($.33), or , two cans of mix veggies if you prefer 3/$1.00). Add two packets of brown gravy(3/$1.00)with some water(about two cups). Serve over rice or mashed potatoes, with your buttered toast and salad and there is another meal.

Omelets always make good meals, even if not for breakfast. I saute onions a can of mushrooms (.$50) in margarine, remove from pan. Mix up your eggs, however many you prefer. I have a big pan, and I add 5 eggs to make one big omelet for the kids to share. Pour the egg mix in, and when almost set, add some of the sauteed veggies, top with cheese and fold over. Flip to cook on other side.

Another thing I do when I go grocery shopping is I buy a pound of colby brick($2.87) cheese and a pound of mozzerella brick($2.87) cheese. It seems expensive, but, it goes along way. I take these bricks home, and I grate them together, and put in a plastic bag. Adding shredded cheese to any meal makes it better, even atop of my beef stew on a plate. If you are near a walmart, then they sell a two pound bag of shredded cheese blends for $4.96. Like I said, I know it sounds like alot, but, it really has become a staple at my house, we use it all week. You might try the half bricks if necessary.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:49 AM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

Just wanted to subscribe to this topic. All your ideas sound great.

Sue