$5 dinners - Page 8 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:35 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

hmmmm those fritattas sound very interesting...... my kids love ramen noodles and eggs... so it just might be a hit!!

I made something new last night.. it is called 'poor mans lobster' using pollock fillets... you bring frozen fillets to a boil with 3 tbsp of salt, cook for 10 mins, then drain... fill pot again and add 3 tbsp vinegar and bring to a boil and cook for 10 mins... then dip in butter and lemon jce just like lobster!!!!!
and we had rice and froz. peas on the side....

My dh came home while i was still boiling the fish.. and he was really worried about what we were eating!!! LOL... but it was very very yummy... it felt like a treat!!! the whole meal probably cost $3.50
Old 04-17-2003, 07:34 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

lol SherBear--my dh doesn't ask anymore! He just tries it and lets me know if he likes it lol!! Evidently his mom only made a few dishes as he was growing up, and he gets a bit nervous about trying something he's never even heard of lol! But there has only been a handful of stuff he didn't care for. Before he met me, he'd never had a star fruit, or a kiwi, or paw-paw pudding. Now he loves all those things, as well as finding out he likes tomatoes, bleu cheese dressing, and linguine lol!! He's very excited about growing our veggie garden, because "we can grow just about anything, and a lot cheaper than the produce market!". It's hilarious.

A quick note about the frittattas--if you use the ramens, don't use all the seasonong. Waaaayy too salty!! I usually save them for cooking my rice, don't use them in the friittatas at all lol!
Old 04-17-2003, 07:39 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Speaking of food -

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...s=&forumid=119

Look for 2 new polls - appetizers & fast food!!!

Come on over and vote!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

How about some sausage gravy over biscuits? Buy a pound of your favorite sausage fry it up and make gravy. You can either buy canned biscuits or make your own. Yummy and very filling.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:21 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I made dinner for 20 people the other day, well the entree that is....I made spanish chicken. I used frozen chicken quarters that my fav store sells for $.39 a pound, I had 5 packages, I cut the excess off the legs and cut them into drumstick and thigh and browned them and then cooked them in 3 lg cans of tomatoes with onions and carrots all gratted up, in the over 350 degrees for 1 hour or so.....I added some chopped olives, 1 bottle for the whole thing. I kept the excess pieces I cut off and made stock for me...13 qts. once defatted. The entree cost me $9 and change but I also got a few pieces of chicken and the stock. That was 20 people for $9 add some mashies, or rice or noodles and a veggie and you have a full meal. I would say less than $5 family of 4.
I made it for a shelter in our town and our church does dinners 2 weeks a year, this was our week. I buy the alluminum trays when I see them on sale or at discount places ( the ones I had were $.29 each) I used 4. This way I do not have to worry about getting my pans back.
Have a good Easter,
Ruth

Old 04-17-2003, 05:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ask323

Sausage gravy and biscuits - as a child this was my favorite dish; then my mother-in-law served this and she always had extra biscuits and gravy on hand - one dish I PURPOSELY NEVER LEARNED TO MAKE was biscuits and gravy - just too good - makes for real weight gain!! Sometimes I break down and order such in restaurant - not quite as good tho!
Old 04-17-2003, 06:12 PM
Friend of the Family

FamilyCorner Newbie

Sally,
It is so easy to make. I don't make it very often but it is good.

If you want to know how let me know.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ruth your Spanish Chicken sounds wonderful. A side of fried plantains and some yellow rice and it would be perfect!
I'll have to do that soon. Definately summeritme chicken.

Val
Old 04-19-2003, 11:46 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Val I have never had Plantains before although do know how to cook them...will have to try them some time....yes the yellow rice would be great with it.
Ruth

Old 04-22-2003, 09:18 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Around a buck apiece!!

Stuffed Spinach Manicotti:

Make shells in advance: 2 eggs, 2 cups flour, water as needed
Place eggs and flour in food processor about 15 seconds. Drizzle water in while processor is running until flour mixture resembles coarse meal and will stick together into a ball without sticking to your hands. Feed thru pasta maker until you have a long narrow strip(or roll out thinly). Cut into pieces a bit larger than a broom handle is around--wrap dough around handle and pinch closed to form a tube. Let dry an hour or so. Makes a dozen.

Filling:
1 pkg. frozen spinach, cooked, drained, and squeezed dry
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 slice bread, crumbed
1 egg

Combine cheese, spinach, egg and crumbs. Stuff into partially dried shells and place in buttered baking dish. Top with 1/2 c spaghetti sauce and bake 30 minutes at 350*.