$5 dinners - Page 7 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I posted. Just checking in one of my family's favorite meals for under $5.00 is burritoes. I usually prefer to cook my own beans which is cheaper than the canned beans, but when I am in a hurry I use canned beans. I always have cheese, and flour tortillas on hand. This is the quick version of the recipe.

2 16 ounce cans of pinto beans
2 16 ounce cans of black beans
1 small onion
1/2 cup of bell pepper
1/2 cup of red pepper
1 teaspoon of cumin (you can add more if you like)
1 1/2 teaspoons of chili powder (you can add more if you like)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 can of stewed tomatoes chopped up (optional)
2 cloves of garlic
1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce (I usually make a rue out of this that I add last)

I mix everything together and let it cook for about 30--45 minutes so everything has a chance to cook together. Shred some cheese, heat tortillas for a short time. You can add ground beef, chicken, or whatever filling your family likes. We usually have tortilla chips and salsa, fruit and salad with this meal. I usually make my own chips by cutting the corn tortillas and frying them in a small amount of oil.

LadyLynn mom to 4 and wife to Donny
Old 03-22-2003, 05:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

WOW, this has been a tremendous help! Between all these $5 dinner ideas and my new crock pot cookbook, we have been eating CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and nobody here has noticed the change!

I've even managed to find a handful of dinners that ALL THREE kids LOVE. Usually somebody hates something I put on the table. Turns out they think breakfast for dinner is great. Eggs and bacon and toast costs under $5. So do chocolate chip pancakes and fruit. They all love cheap chix parmesan nuggets with spaghetti, homemade hamburger helper, pizza quesadillas, tuna melts, chicken noodle soup and sandwiches, and homemade soup.

THANKS SO MUCH! I haven't made it through all the recipes suggested yet, but I'm working on it. If you have any more ideas, I'd love to hear them!

dawny
Old 04-12-2003, 09:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

$5 dinners

Hi Ladies!

One of the cheapest $5 dinners that my family enjoys, is when I fix breakfast type of foods for dinner. I like to make homemade biscuits (recipe to follow). Also, I make it a point to keep plenty of potatoes, flour, and eggs on hand. I like to prepare Stove-Top scalloped potatoes, scrambled eggs, and bacon, or (any type of meat) that I have on hand. I also like to add some type of cut-up fruit on the side, such as, oranges, apples, bananas, etc. It is cheap and doesn't take that much time to prepare and everyone usually enjoys the change of pace. You can also make the busicuits ahead of time and put them in refrigerator until you are ready to put them in the oven.

This biscuit recipe is one that my mother and her mother (my grandmother) used to bake biscuits.

Hot Baking-Powder Biscuits

3 cups of sifted all purpose flour
1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (opitional could use less or none)
8 to 9 tablespoons shortening
About 3/4 to 1 cup of milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt. With pastry blender or 2 knives, used
scissor-fashion, cut in shortening until mixure is like coarse corn meal.
2. Make well in center the mixture; pour in 1/2 cup of milk. With a fork, mix lightly, and quickly. Add enough milk to form dough, it should be moist enough to leave the sides of the bowl and cling to your fork like a ball. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
3. Knead dough 8 or 9 times, working gently.
4. Lightly roll dough out from center, lifting rolling pin as you get near the edges. Roll dough 1/2" to 3/4" thick for high fluffy biscuits, or 1/4" thick for thin crusty biscuits.

I hope you enjoy the recipe, as it is one of my family's favorite and they enjoy it so much whenever I make homemade biscuits.

LadyLynn
Old 04-13-2003, 06:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lady Lynn, Thank You for sharing this Baking Powder Biscuit recipe. I have a question for you. ;-) I am SUPPOSE to be watching my cholesterol (and I really am trying), so could I substitute the following:
Whole wheat flour for the flour????
Olive oil for the shortening????
and 2% milk for the milk?

Do you think they would still turn out ok?? It works fine on some recipes, some not. Thanks...Cafe
Old 04-13-2003, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ladylynn, can you share your recipe for Stove-Top scalloped potatoes? That sounds so good, I love scalloped potatoes!

Thanks,
Carol
Old 04-13-2003, 08:35 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am w/ Caron, those stove top scallops sound great....recipe please...Thanks
Ruth

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
Old 04-13-2003, 07:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Cafe.. I can tell you that you can substitute skim milk anytime for regular with the same baking result ( though the taste may change in the finished product...less rich and sweet... ) and oil will give you a different texture and mouth-feel than shortening... ( less flake, more dense) but whole wheat flour and regular flour are not interchangable in baking. Whole wheat will not rise like regular flour because the gluten content is so much lower... Even commercial "whole wheat bread" is only 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 all-purpose flour.. so beware... If you do use whole wheat flour, you should go buy some baking gluten powder. It would help your product rise. But you might be happier baking with white flours and getting your fiber from other sources in your meal and just enjoying the darn biscutt!!! LOLOL!!!!

Val
Old 04-14-2003, 06:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Val...Your recipe sounded so good when I read it. Then after you told me what the interchangeables would do>>>>> It no longer sounded good. So I am going to follow YOUR origional recipe and make them next week-end. Why ruin a good recipe!!! Thanks so very much for the info. Cafe
Old 04-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

LOL! Cafe, The great recipe wasn't mine It was Lynn's ... But you might want to keep the milk low-fat or skim at least!

Val
Old 04-17-2003, 06:18 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I love this thread!! A favorite meal around here is frittatas--I cook up a bag or two of Ramen noodles, add a few eggs, a can of drained veggies, mix together and fry it up. Cut it into wedges and voila!! A meal my kids will actually eat lol!!

Another is ham and beans--dh loves this one. Toss a ham bone into a pot of beans(dry) and cover with water. Bake at 200* until dry, add more water to cover and keep baking. Do this three times. It takes forever, but the beans get really creamy. You can add spices and an onion if you like. Serve with a salad and you've got a cheap and comforting meal!!