$5 dinners - Page 13 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Nine Year Member

Some cheap meals that I fix are
1) smoked sausage, potatoes, cabbage steamed together until the potatoes are soft.
2) hamburger hash with potatoes, onions & Worchester sauce
3) hamburger layered with sliced potatoes and cream mushroom soup baked until potatoes are soft.
4) spaghetti, salad, bread
5) ham & bean soup with corn bread
6) sausage gravy & biscuits with eggs
7) bacon & eggs with toast
8) sausage sandwich & fried potatoes
9) fried potatoes & corn with cheddar cheese (can add scrambled egg)
10) chili & corn bread
11) grilled cheese sandwich & soup
12) fried balonga sandwich with chips or soup
13) chef salad (egg, cheese, leftover meat)
14) tacos, taco salad
15) smoked sausage, potatoes, bell pepper, onions fried
16) hamburger helper bought on sale with salad
17) chili mac (leftover chili mixed with macaroni & cheese)
18) meat & noodles using leftover chicken or beef roast
19) stew served over rice or noodles
20) roast or whole chicken use leftover meat with noodles or make into a soup/stew another night
Old 02-04-2005, 09:54 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Roberta, have you been looking over my shoulder as I cook? LOL!!That looks amazingly like a typical menu around here. I'm glad you actually listed it, because sometimes it's hard to just think of something different to make that's not the same stuff you always fix. For instance, if I make spaghetti one more time, I think my family is going to revolt lol!! So I'll switch it up and make a recipe I found called "ham-it-up spaghetti". It's still a frugal meal, and it's different.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

$5.00 a meal

Last night we had Stewed deer over rice. The deer was given to us so I feed my crew under 5 that night..

The night before we had Chicken on top of garlic parsean noodles. ( I used the left over noodles from our spiggitti dinner 1 st. of the week. Made a simple white sauce with garlic and parsean cheese added. The chicken was filets (I bought a 29 pound box for $20.00.) I wilted spinach in a skillet with pacon pices and onions.

This be Tree
Old 02-06-2005, 06:40 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Guys

I know I've mentioned this before but my cheapest dinner nights are "hodge-podge" nights. Everyone raids the refrig. and eats up all the leftovers. My boys think this is the best. One night a week I do this before grocery shopping day. I hate when food gets wasted.

Take care,
Teresa
Old 02-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Nine Year Member

LOL that is what I call trash night, empty out the refrigerator before taking the trash to the curb. Though we are pretty good about eating leftovers in 2-3 days of cooking it. But there seems to be one container that gets pushed clear to the back that you can't remember when it was cooked.

Roberta
Old 02-08-2005, 12:57 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

We used to have "clean the fridge night", too. But I've been making sure dh takes the leftovers for his lunch so they're not wasted lol!! Plus it saves the expense of having to buy something.

Does anyone read Taste of Home magazine? I got my hands on a bunch of older copies and love it. I've found several recipes that could be made for less than $5 if I use the store-brand items and those well-loved sales lol!!
Old 02-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

MrsManiac, Taste of Home is my favorite cooking magazine. I pick them up at yard sales and second hand store every chance I get. Just love them.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just recently joined and I'd like to share a few of my $5 meals. They might be a little different. There are 2 in our family, but could feed 4 since I almost always take leftovers for my work lunch. I ball parked these cost estimates. I'm also not taking into account the pantry items' and staple items' cost (butter, oils, soysauce, herbs/spices, garlic, hot sauce, etc.). Those I tend to have already on hand.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Italian Vegetable Pie (8 servings)
Good for anyone who wants to try tofu and is scared!
from Cooking Light

olive oil
1 cup chopped green bell pepper ($.25)
1 cup chopped onion ($.15)
1 cup chopped mushrooms ($.75)
1 (12.3-ounce) package firm tofu, drained and crumbled ($1.84)
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons tomato paste ($.35)
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon fennel seeds (if you like them)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 (25.5-ounce) jar marinara sauce ($.75)
6 cooked lasagna noodles, cut in half crosswise ($.50)
1 cups mozzarella ($.75)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (opt)

Total $4.99

Preheat oven to 375°.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper, chopped onion, mushrooms, tofu, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato paste, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, crushed red pepper, and marinara sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.

Arrange the noodles spokelike in the bottom of an 8-inch round baking dish with ends hanging over, coated with cooking spray. Spread 3 cups tomato mixture over noodles. Fold ends of noodles over tomato mixture, and top with the remaining tomato mixture and cheeses. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes.

Frittata with Pan Fried Potatoes (4 servings)

6 eggs ($.33)
1/2 c. cooked rice or pasta ($.06)
1/2 c. cheese ($.38)
1 c. sliced or diced mixed veggies, (I like red pepper, tomato, onion; broccoli and a shredded carrot is good) ($.50-1.50)
basil, oregano, salt pepper
butter
potatoes ($0.25)
oil

Under $2.52

Melt a small pat of butter in an oven proof 10 in. skilet. Saute the veggies. Meanwhile, mix the eggs, rice/pasta, cheese, spices together. Add the sauteed veggies. Melt another small pat of butter and pour the egg mixture in the pan. Don't stir, let set and cook. Finish by broiling in the oven to cook the top. Cut in wedges. Serve with diced potates that have been steamed and then fried in a little oil in a large fry pan til brown.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eggrolls (serves 4 - 5 eggs rolls each)

package of eggroll wrappers, 20 count ($1.99)
3/4 - 1 # ground pork ($1.99)
1/2 head of cabbage ($.25)
1 carrot ($.05)
3 garlic
3 green onions, sliced ($.25)
3 T. soy sauce,
splash hot sauce
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 T. dark sesame oil
1 T. cornstarch/1 T. cold water, mixed
Sweet and Sour dipping sauce, homemade under $1.00

Total $5.53, over but worth it!

Set oven at 425. Spray a baking sheet. Brown the pork, drain off the fat. In a food processor or mini chopper, grate the cabbage, carrot and garlic. Add the pork to this. Add the soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil and green onions.

Take an egg roll wrapper, with one point towards you like a diamond. Put 2 T. of mixture in the center, fold up the bottom, then a side, then another side, then snugly roll closed, but dab a little cornstarch mixture to help seal the end shut. Brush with a oil and bake 20 minutes.

Spicy Cornbread Casserole (4 servings)

small box of Jiffy cornbread ($.25)
1/2 pound of ground beef, turkey or tofu ($.99)
can of black or pinto bean, drained ($.42)
1 - 1 1/2 c. assorted chopped veggies (I like green pepper, onion, carrot, corn, 1/2 cup of each) ($1.25)
14 oz can of tomates, ones with green chilies are good ($.33)
1/2 of a 10 oz red enchilada sauce ($.50)
1 c. cheese ($.75)
sour cream ($.50)
chili powder and cumin to taste

Total $4.99

Set oven at 400. Saute the beef and veggies til beef is done. Add tomatoes, beans and enchilada sauce, also spices and mix, simmer for 5-10 min. Stir in cheese last, if you want cheese. Prepare the cornbread using 2/3 of liquid (NOT 1/3 liquid and egg). Dump in 2 qt. casserole dish, pour batter on and bake until batter is done. Top your serving with sour cream.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:56 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mmmmm--those recipes sound yummy! Hey, didn't I just see you on another thread?? Thanks for sharing those--now I'm in the mood for egg rolls. They are a favorite of mine but I rarely make them because I'm the only one that eats them---and I would eat the entire batch in one sitting!! I've got a bit of ground pork in the freezer that I wasn't quite sure what to do with......
Old 05-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Our kids like our leftover night. We call it restaurant night in our house. I tell

them it is an all-you-can-eat buffet. LOL!

There are some great ideas in this thread. We just had a less than $5 meal. It fed eight people with enough leftovers for lunch and a loaf of French bread for another meal (make it into a pizza). We had turkey patties with gravy, homemade coleslaw and homemade French bread.

Also for you Taste of Home lovers, you can subscribe to an e-zine portion for free. I prefer the Simple & Delicious (sister magazine) which is packed full of magazines.