Need a recipe for pancakes and sausage on a stick - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Need a recipe for pancakes and sausage on a stick

Im looking for a recipe for pancakes and sausage on a stick. We do a lot of traveling in the morning in the car, causing us to skip breakfast at home and usually stopping to pick something up along the way. My DS would love to have something like this to take with him.

Any ideas?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-25-2003, 10:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi ajrsmom,

I know what you mean, about trying to get started on trips and etc., early in the morning.

Now, my solution to this issue is not pancakes and sausage on a stick...but, pretty darn close. ;-)

With kids...sticks are an issue, in my opinion...but, I make these wonderful biscuits, sausage/bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches, that are so simple and easy to make ahead.

I use the Pillsbury Grands Butter-Tasting Biscuits or your local store's generic brand...but...they MUST be the BIG biscuits, ok?

Open the can, take out the biscuits, putting them on your pastry mat or board, add just a little flour on the board/surface, lightly dredge biscuit in flour, roll out with a rolling pin, dust off any excess flour and put on a plate, to stack. Finish all of the biscuits, that you will need, each can will make 4 sandwiches.

Then spray a griddle or large frying pan with Pam or whatever you use, heat griddle/pan, them put biscuits in pan. Cook like you would a pancake, they will brown and *puff*, then turn over, to cook other side.

Now you have large, flattened cooked *pancake* biscuits. Just a note: these will freeze very well, in plastic bags, I use the gallon size. That way, you can make up many, at one time, plus they are ready when you need them.

Now, I simply make them into sandwiches. I will fry either sausage or bacon, draining well, eggs and then add cheese or not. I really depends on what, those who are going to eat them, like as a preference.

After making them, I simply wrap them in paper towels, then in plastic wrap. That way, it is easier to heat and eat, on the *run*. By wrapping in paper towels, they can be used for cleaning faces and hands.

Not sure, if, this is any help...but, it has certainly made my life easier, when we want to get away, in a hurry!

"The Truth is out there...
Can anyone give me the URL???!!!"
Old 06-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Ooh, Those sandwiches sound really good and a lot less messy to make than trying to keep the pancake batter on a stick, LOL!

Think I will try these. I know my DH will like them and I bet it will pass with DS as long as there are no eggs on his.

Thanks a lot!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-25-2003, 01:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I use toasted english muffins to make what I call Breakfast Biscuits.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We make breakfast burritos. Fry up bacon or sausage, add homestyle hashbrowns or fried potatoes. Beat some eggs and pour over meat and potatoes. Cook until eggs are done. Roll about 1/4 cup in a flour tortilla. Cheese and salsa are optional.

We usually make the egg, meat, potato mixture ahead of time. Even my 8 yo can warm this in the microwave and roll into a tortilla making sure to tuck the bottom in so that the filling does not fall out. We then wrap them in a paper towel to eat.

If you have any questions, pm me and I will try to explain it better.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

Thanks, Tami...

These sandwiches are LARGE, two should be more than enough for grown men, while women will want only one, on average. Younger kids, half the sandwiches and then quarter them, for the small, wee ones.

Actually, the possibilities are only limited...to your creative *juices* and thinking.

I also, make *Grilled Ham and Cheese* using these *Pancake Biscuits*. I just lightly grill the ham, basically until hot, put on one pancake biscuit, then add one or two cheese slices, they usually *melt*, making less of a mess in the pan, and then top off with another pancake biscuit.

You can also, make peanut butter and jelly or honey sandwiches or even peanut butter and bananas. Basically...anything that goes well with biscuits...you can make a sandwich, out of these.

BUT...do NOT discount the above suggestions. English muffins and Breakfast Burritoes are excellent ideas, as well.

"The Truth is out there...
Can anyone give me the URL???!!!"
Old 07-09-2003, 12:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You first mentioned making the sausage and pancake on a stick. Sounds like more work than I have time, however, I have purchased these already made at our local Sam's Club or Costco (whatever you have available to you). I also know they sell them through Market Day. (A fundraising service through our school and / or church.) Again, I don't know if any of these are available in your area, but it's nice to buy and keep in the freezer for a quick hot, on the go breakfast.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I bought these from Sam's Club when I lived in Jacksonville, Fl. I have recently found them in our Wal-Mart Supercenter in Chehalis, Washington. If Chehalis has it, every where should!!! We buy "State Fair" brand, 14 per large yellow box. Each is individually wrapped, and they are absolutely delicious!!! I'm pretty cheap, and I find them reasonably priced, and well worth it. I take them to work, the kids love them, the DH loves them, and so does the mother-in-law. We got her hooked and now she buys them herself!!! We take them out of the box if our tiny freezer is full and stick the individual ones whereever we can. Microwave for a minute each, and enjoy!!!!!

PS
I also make waffles in bulk and freeze in baggies. The kids can reheat and eat on a plate with syrup or eat as fancy toast.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sausage on a Stick

Originally posted by cat lover in the June What's for Dinner? thread.

Sausage on a Stick

1 12 ounce package fully cooked smoked sausage links
1 package refrigerated breadsticks

Spear sausage on stick or hotdog fork. Coil one breadstick dough around each sausage link, pinching ends. Rotate slowly until bread is browned.