Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-31-2003, 06:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb List your fave alternative to convenience food recipe!

Hello all-If I'm not listing this in the best place, feel free to move it, Thanks.

I need some help, ladies. DH only likes the "best brands" of convenience foods, as he calls them. (A1, Bullseye BBQ, Chi Chi salsa, etc.) So, to lower our food bill, I'm looking for some great recipes for convenience foods to copy these.

Please give your favorite "convenience food fakes" or cookbook, to help everyone out.

Thanks, Heather
Old 03-31-2003, 07:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi Heather Have you tried sites like topsecretrecipes.com or copykat.com ? You can come up with some great homemade recipes for name brand stuff.

I cant come up with any of my own right now but Im sure some of the ladies here will share their great recipes!

I know how it goes with some name brand stuff....must be a MAN thing!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-01-2003, 07:26 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

My son likes French's mustard. So I'll buy and off brand and just dump it into the French's bottle.

My friends DH is the same way, he likes named brand stuff and she'll buy off brands and just put them in the named brand containers/bottles.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:38 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hee hee... I do the same thing! My DH just LOVES miracle whip, but I refuse to spend over $3 for a stinking jar. So I buy the offbrands and stick them in the miracle whip jars... I can get the offbrands for sometimes as little a .75/jar. He used to tell me to never buy the offbrand b/c he KNOWS the difference. Well he hasn't known the difference in over a year now!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I was thinking the same thing...most of what you find on the shelves will have the same stuff in it anyway...You are paying for the name, and in some cases it is made by the same company under a different name...as long as they do not shop with you, help put the groceries up, and you have no kids to tell on you...for the most part, they had mothers like mine that only used Brand name food...
Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I agree for the most part but there are a few things I do pay more for. Cheap sausage is usually all fat as an example.We like Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and none of the others taste the same so I stock up during the grilling season so I have enough to last the year

Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Head Moderator

Another way to get some of the "name brands" at a lower cost; shop at a salvage grocery store. The main one I shop at here is at the Amish community and I can get Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce for 50 cents a bottle! You never know what they will have, but for the most part it is name brand items at a wonderful savings! Usually it is dented items and some of it is beyond the expiration date, but I have only once came across one thing that was spoiled!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life

Last edited by cat lover; 09-29-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

CAt I sure wish we had 1 near here. I shopped in one in my old neighborhood but 50 miles away at the price of gas, it is not worth the trip.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Head Moderator

Back in the city we had three, but same thing; just too far away to even go. I understand there are two others near here and another one I go by on occasion that I didn't even know was there! Will check that one out when I'm that way and have time to stop. One of the others I never have been is because I'm told they are really high, and the other we just don't go down that way very often either. The Amish one is great because I'm there several times a week! Their CSA garden is about to start back up for the season also; we do a full share which entitles us to a banana box full of fresh vegetables, fruits, and herbs as they are ready from around May 1 through October. On weeks the weather isn't cooperating we get fresh baked goods and homemade jellies and candies or whatever they have on hand like that.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Cat that sounds wonderful, I sure wish I had something like that