Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-06-2002, 10:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Cold German Potato Salad ?

Im looking for a recipe for cold German potato salad but Im having a hard time finding one anywhere. Hopefully someone here will have the answer for me !

Thanks, Tami
Old 05-07-2002, 05:48 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Tami, I have a recipe.......somewhere!?! I'll hunt it down and post it. I made it last summer and dh loved it and even though he tells everyone he's the least picky eater in the world.....well..... ...he's not. heeheehee
Old 05-07-2002, 06:56 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I finally find this crazy recipe and it's HOT German potato salad. Sorry about that, Tami. I serve it chilled, does that count? If you still want it, let me know.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Mom I was wondering whether or not chilling the hot stuff would work. Yes, Id love your recipe...Thanks !!

Ive never tried to make it before, we had it once in a restaurant somewhere.....I want to say Ruby Tuesdays but not sure because its been quite a while.

Even my picky Dh liked it so I thought it would be something different even though its probably not low cal. LOL !

Thanks so much for looking for it for me !
Old 05-07-2002, 03:44 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Here ya go

9 Medium-sized round red potatoes (about 4-1/4 lbs)
6 slices bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
2 T all-purpose flour
2 T sugar
2-3 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/2 t celery seeds (this is what makes it in my opinion)
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

1. Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool 10 minutes. (I actually run under cool water). Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch thick slices; set aside.
2. Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon and set aside.
3. Cook onion in drippings over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
4. Add flour and next four ingredients, stirring until blended. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in 3/4 cup water and vinegar; cook until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
5. Layer one-third each of potato and bacon in a 2-1/2-quart serving bowl; drizzle with one-third of sauce mixture. Repeat procedure twice; serve immediately. (or chill~not an official recommendation). Yield=8 servings.

Good luck!!
Old 05-08-2002, 02:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This recipe sounds very much like my mother's DELICIOUS German Potato Salad -- although hers also includes sliced hard-boiled eggs.

This potato salad is great served warm or chilled!
Old 05-08-2002, 02:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

German New Potato Salad

3 lb Small new red potatoes
1 tb Salt
-water to cover potatoes
1 1/4 c Mayonnaise
1 c Sour cream
2 1/2 tb Cider vinegar
1/2 c Sugar
1 ts Ground white pepper
2 ts Dry mustard
1 tb Celery seed
1/4 c Fresh lemon juice
1/4 c Fresh parsley; chopped
2 ts Green onion or chives; fine chop
1/4 c Celery; minced

Scrub the potatos thoroughly. Place in a large pot with the salt and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are cooked but not soft, about 15 minutes. Set in a colander to drain. While the potatoes are cooking, whisk together the mayonnaise and sour cream, then add the vinegar, sugar, white pepper, dry mustard, celery seed, lemon juice, parsley, onion and celery. Slice the potatoes about 1/3-inch thick and place in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing while still warm. Chill at least 3 hours and preferably overnight before serving.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Tami,

My husband loves German-style potato salad, but hates mayo, so I came across this recipe in one of my cookbooks (Better Homes and Garden's New Cook Book, 11th Edition). It is low fat and only takes 45 minutes from start to finish.

4 med. potatoes - 1 1/4 # or 12 small red potatoes
4 slices of bacon (I cheat and use Bacon Bits)
1/2 c chopped onion
1 T all-purpose flour
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t celery seed
1/2 t dry mustard
1/8 - 1/4 t pepper
2/3 c water
1/4 c vinegar (also very good without this)
1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
2 T snipped parsley (optional)

1. Place potatoes in a saucepan; add water to cover and if desired, 1/4 t salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 20 - 25 minutes or until just tender; drain well. Cool potatoes slightly. halve, peel, and cut potatoes into 1/4" thick slices. Set aside.
2. For dressing, in a large skillet cook the 4 slices of bacon over medium heat till crisp. Remove bacon, reserving 2 T drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels. Crumble the bacon and set aside. (I skip this step and use Bacon bits since we don't eat bacon but once or twice a year).
3. Add chopped onion to the reserved drippings. Cook over medium heat till tender. Stir in the flour, sugar 1/2 salt, celery seed, dry mustard and pepper. Stir in the 2/3 c water and vinegar. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Stir in potatoes and bacon. Toss to mix. Cook, stirring gently, for 1 - 2 minutes more or till heated through. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with egg and if desired, parsley or crumbled bacon. Makes 4 - 6 side dish servings. 113 cal, 5g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 59 mg chol, 387mg sodium, 14g carbo, 1g fiber, 5g pro.

We never eat this warm. I usually make it ahead and put it in the fridge. It even tastes better the next day!
Hope this helps,
Betsey
Old 05-09-2002, 11:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Easy Cold German Potato Salad

This is an easy and very tasty potato salad:
Cut up 5 medium potatoes
Boil till soft, drain
Put in a large bowl and cover with Wishbone Italian dressing.
If time permits, add spices or onion and garlic powder, chopped celery.
Fantastic, yummy salad that takes.......no time.
This was a summer staple at my home growing up.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wow Thanks for all of the responses !! Im printing them all out then Ill show them to DH to see which one he wants to try first.

I like the lowfat recipe for me even if he doesnt pick it first.

Youre all wonderful !!