Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Food > Around the Kitchen Table > Cooking questions > Recipe Requests

Old 06-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

different ways to make potatoes

Hi Ladies. I was wondering if you all could help me out. I am totally stumped not to mention getting burned out on potatoes. LOL. My SO is very picky. He will only eat rice if we are eating chinese and does not care for stuffing that much. So, I am running out of staples. The only thing that I can actually make and he will eat is potatoes. I am running out of ideas on how to make them. I can only make them so many ways. Personally, I am getting burned out on fried, mashed and boiled potatoes. He doesn't like baked, either. <sigh> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

To have a friend, u must be a friend!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
How about twice baked with cheese?

Maybe....

Hashbrowns

scalloped or Au Gratin

potato salad

I chunk pototoes, add a pack of onion soup mix and then drizzle with olive oil...mix and bake until the potatoes are tender and brown.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I make baked potatoes, and than cut them in half,and pour chili over each half, with melted cheddar cheese and sour cream on the side, dh loves them.Another potato recipe is to peel and slice "thin" potatoes, put 1 whole sliced potato in a square of tinfoil, top with margarine, onion slices, and about 1/4 cup of water and salt and pepper,fold up so its tightly closed and bake at 350 45 min., or u can also do this on the grill but you have to turn it every so often and its kind of a pain(but tastes really good). I usually do it in the oven.
The twice baked is your best bet because there are so many things you can put on them, like broccoli and cheese, plain old sour cream, chili.

Good luck
Hugs Sandie
Old 06-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

You might find some good ideas in one of these spots:
SIDE DISHES
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...?s=&forumid=54

or
FRUITS & VEGETABLES
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...s=&forumid=461

Here's one my family likes. I could swear I posted it someplace but it has mysteriously eluded me...

Roasted Potatoes & Vegetables

I am very flexible with this one. I use whatever we have. So it's different every time. The basic recipe came from the HGTV "Smart Solutions" show.
1 big bowlful of any combination:
Potatoes (any kind) peeled or not, and cut in 1 inch chunks
Sweet potatoes/yams, peeled, cut in 1 inch chunks
Baby carrots or regular carrots (peeled and chunked)
Onion slices
Rutabaga or turnip, peeled and cut in chunks

Dressing:
3 TBL EACH balsamic vinegar and olive oil
1 tsp EACH coarse salt and ground pepper

Pour dressing over vegetables & toss.
Spread out on a GREASED cookie sheet (even if you use foil, GREASE IT. Trust me. Don't skip that step!)
Roast at 400 for 45 min to 1 hour, stirring a couple of times during the process.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Potatoe ideas

Ever heard of chocolate covered needhams? There's alot of recipes on the internet for this delicious candy- the base of it consisting of shredded cocoanut and mashed white potatoes. You could even use other types of candy coating for variety (Melted White Chocolate, Mint chocolate, ect)
I've also heard of potatoe bread and dinner rolls- also a possibility.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sigh..............

One of my "aquired" grand daughters is a picky eater. Her parents use to make her whatever she'd eat. One of the main dislikes is bread. She loves cornbread miffins, but hates sandwich or anything labeled bread.
Now I know I'm going to get a LOT of flack here, but I've raised several kids including my own, and this does work. Its harder on you than your picky eatter.
We have two choices at my house:
1) eat what I make
2) do without
That means NO snacks etc. We have what we call the "thank you" bite. That is a bite of everything fixed for that meal. I always fixed something the picky person liked (I did say its harder on you) and then I made what was planned for dinner. Picky had to eat one bite (not big, but enough to taste) what was fixed and then could eat the thing they liked, but no desert and not snacks later either. Also, they helped their own plates.
I remember well my father helping my plate and ther was no way I could eat all of it and if it was liver night ughhhhhhhhh! So, I let them help their own plates so they choose how big a bite they will eat.
Some times kids or adults feel they have no comtrol over anything and they use food. They can control that by not eating, or over eating. By giving them control over themselves and the food it usually will work itself out. It has for all the picky eaters I'd had to endure
By the way, the one I have now will eat 1 bite of bread from her McDonald's Hambugar bun, and she is trying new foods here and when we go out. It may only be one new item, but she is trying!

Her is a site you might find some potato recipes http://www.idahopotato.com/

Good Luck!
Old 06-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Vivian, you're right about handling picky eaters. Putting up with it only makes it go on longer.
The original post was talking about a picky adult. Those are harder to handle

Jen, another thought I had was to make ONE potato dish, for him, enough servings for the week, once a week. Heat up his serving and serve it along with the rest of the meal. The rest of you get whatever you like--rice, noodles....

I figure the whole family should not be led by one person's food preferences. (Allergies are another story but that's not the issue here)
There are certain dishes that my family likes, that I don't. I do make them, and eat them. Maybe not AS often as the rest of them would like, but I do serve them rather frequently.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by barbszy
Spread out on a GREASED cookie sheet (even if you use foil, GREASE IT. Trust me. Don't skip that step!)
Roast at 400 for 45 min to 1 hour, stirring a couple of times during the process. [/B]
This made me laugh Barbszy, I make a similer potato recipe and gave it to my dd, and when I asked her how they came out she said they tasted great but half the potao STUCK, to the foil!!! I said you didnt GREASE it did you??
Old 06-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

potatoes

I saw a lot of suggestions for twice baked potatoes. I have my own version that is much easier for me. You bake the tators then peel. Mash them, add a bit of milk, butter, sour cream, green onions, cheese, and crumbled cooked bacon. Pile into a casserole dish and top with salt and pepper. Bake until the little peaks on top are browned. This way you don't have to worry about keeping the skins intact to fill them. I get raves each time I make it.

Janelle
Old 06-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

An adult?? Thats different he can take it or leave it. lol

Well making him a "special dish" for the week would be a great idea! If he gets tired of it he can try what everyone else is enjoying. Barbszy its brilliant!!

Vivian