Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

ISO Tilapia recipe <easy>

I am looking for a good easy way to cook tilapia. Kroger had some on sale and I keep hearing people talk about it so I wanted to try it.

How do you Tilapia eaters prepare it?

TX Chef Fran
Old 03-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

Hi Fran ~

My husband and I love tilapia. (My teen boys don't like fish.) One of my favorite ways to prepare it couldn't be simpler. Dip the fillets in egg (beaten lightly with a fork), then coat with a mixture of flour, salt, & pepper. You could even put some Parmesan cheese in the flour mixture. Or try cornmeal and Parmesan cheese. Saute in a pan using olive oil.

If I can find any more specific tilapia recipes, I'll be sure to post them.

~Melanie
Old 03-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Head Moderator

Here are some:

Tilapia Lemon Parmesan
2-1/2 lbs. Tilapia fillets
2-4 tsp. butter or margarine, softened
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Lemon-Parmesan Sauce

1 cup mayonnaise
2 tbl. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Garnish

2 lemons, sliced fresh parsley
Rinse the tilapia fillets in cold water and drain thoroughly.
Top with butter or margarine and lemon juice.
Broil about 4 inches from the source of heat for approximately 5 to 6 minutes or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Top each portion with 1-2 tbl. of Lemon-Parmesan Sauce; broil 2-3 minutes or until sauce puffs and turns golden brown.
Place fillets on serving plate; garnish with lemon slices and fresh parsley.
Serves: 6

Baked Tilapia with Tomatoes & Olives
6 Tilapia fillets
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped green olives
1/4 tsp. dried hot red pepper flakes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1 T. fresh lime juice
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Lightly oil a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the fillets in one layer.
In a bowl stir together the oil, the thyme, the tomatoes, the olives, the red pepper flakes, the garlic, the onion, and the lime juice.
In the prepared baking dish arrange the fillets, skin sides down, season them with salt, and spoon the tomato mixture over them.
Bake the fish, uncovered, in the middle of the oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until it just flakes.
Serves: 6

Recipe from Rebecca Radnor and the American Tilapia Association

TILAPIA Texas Style

One fresh, cleaned, thin, Tilapia fillet per person
Dredge the fillet in a beaten egg, and coat with bread crumbs (both sides)
Season to taste. I like a little fresh ground pepper, maybe a bit of lemon. Flavored bread crumbs ie. Italian seasoning or garlic are fine. Choose what you like.
Lay the fillet flat, and place sliced or shredded Jarlsberg cheese over the top
Roll the fillet (like a swiss roll) with the cheese inside, and secure with a toothpick
Bake at 375 F for approximately 25 minutes

Tilapia In Beer Batter

4-6 Tilapia fillets
Juice of ½ lemon
2 Tbls. chopped parsley
2 Tbls. cooking oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
Oil for deep frying

BEER BATTER
2 large egg yolks
½ cup beer
½ cup flour
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp baking powder

Cut fillets into 2" pieces. Put in a bowl with lemon juice, parsley, 2 Tbls. cooking oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat oil for deep frying. Dip pieces of fish individually into batter, and then into hot oil. Cook, turning and submerging pieces in the oil until golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels. Makes 4 servings

Baked Tilapia with White Wine & Herbs
2 fresh Tilapia fillets, approximately 8-10oz each
150ml (1/4pint) medium white wine
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 tablespoons freshly chopped mixed herbs
6 salad onions, diagonally sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2oz butter
1 teaspoon cornflour, blended with a little cold water
2 tablespoons creme fraiche
Arrange the Tilapia side by side in a lightly oiled roasting tin or ovenproof dish.
Pour over the wine, then sprinkle over the chopped garlic, most of the herbs, the salad onions and seasoning to taste. Place half the butter on each fish.
Cover with a sheet of lightly oiled foil, seal in the fish then bake in a preheated oven 350F, for 30-35 minutes.
Transfer the Tilapia to a serving dish and keep warm. Pour the juices into a pan, stir in the blended cornflour and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the creme fraiche, pour over and serve immediately, sprinkled with the remaining herbs.
Cooking Time: Approximately 35 minutes Serves: 2

Recipe from American Tilapia Association

BLACKENED TILAPIA
INGREDIENTS:

4-6 Rain Forest Tilapia
2 Tbls. Paprika
2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon pepper
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp ground red pepper
1.5 tsp. dried, crushed basil
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 c. unsalted butter, melted

INSTRUCTIONS:

Heat iron skillet on high 5 minutes. Mix all seasonings in a bowl. Dip fillets in melted butter and coat with seasonings. Place fillets in hot skillet and cook 2 minutes on each side.

Enjoy!
Old 03-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi, Fran!!!

I love Tilapia!! I love it's 'not-so-fishy' flavor Here's a link that was posted on a low-carb recipe board I'm on. It has tons of recipes just for Tilapia!! Hope this helps!!

http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/ista/recipes.htm
Attached Images

Pampered Chef Senior Consultant
Stacia's Kookin Korner

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/staciaskookinkorner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Old 03-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

If y'all like talapia, you'll love basa filets... they are even milder and they are very versatile.... you can fry, bake broil or grill.

You can poach for a wonderful salad...if y'all want the recipe, I'll post it....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 03-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Tilapia recipes

TILAPIA MATANZAS
INGREDIENTS:
4-6 Tilapia fillets
2 beaten eggs
4 oz. Crabmeat
1/4 c. softened butter
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. oil
Dash of Hot Pepper Sauce
Pinch of Salt
INSTRUCTIONS:
Add Lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, and salt to softened butter and whip smooth. Place aside. Add oil to a saute pan and bring to medium-high heat. Dip each fillet in egg and sauté for 2 minutes on each side. Place fillet on plate and top with 1 oz. Crabmeat. Finish with a dollop of lemon butter sauce. Place under broiler for 1 minute.
============
BLACKENED TILAPIA
INGREDIENTS:
4-6 Tilapia
2 Tbls. Paprika
2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon pepper
1.5 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp ground red pepper
1.5 tsp. dried, crushed basil
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 c. unsalted butter, melted
INSTRUCTIONS:
Heat iron skillet on high 5 minutes. Mix all seasonings in a bowl. Dip fillets in melted butter and coat with seasonings. Place fillets in hot skillet and cook 2 minutes on each side.
===========
TILAPIA WITH LEMON & CAPERS
INGREDIENTS:
4-6 Tilapia Fillets
3 large lemons
2 c. milk
1 c. flour
6 Tbls peanut oil
5 Tbls. unsalted butter
1/4 c. dried capers
2 Tbls. fresh chopped parsley
INSTRUCTIONS:
Peel lemons removing inner white membrane. Cut into segments and dice. Season flour with salt and pepper. Dip fillets in milk and coat with flour. Heat oil in large skillet, sauté fillets, brown on both sides for 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to serving dish, keep warm. Wipe out skillet, add butter, brown slightly. Stir in lemons and capers and parsley, spoon over fish.
===========
WESTPORT TILAPIA
INGREDIENTS:
4-6 Tilapia
8 oz stewed tomatoes, drained & chopped
1/4 c. chopped onion
4 c. dry white wine
3 Tbls butter
1 Tbls cornstarch
1/2 lb mushrooms, chopped
1 small shallot, minced
1½ c whipping cream, whipped
INSTRUCTIONS:
Combine tomatoes and onions. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Poach tilapia in wine about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to serving dish to keep warm. Reduce wine to one cup. Combine 1 T. butter and cornstarch, whisk into wine reduction until smooth and mixture thickens. Sauté mushrooms and shallots in remaining 2 T Butter about 3 min. Stir in tomato mixture, spoon over fish. Fold in whipped cream into wine mixture and season to taste. Spread over fish. Broil until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
============
PAN FRIED TILAPIA
INGREDIENTS:
4-6 tilapia fillets
3 Tbls. flour
4 Tbls. peanut oil
4 Tbls. butter
1 lemon juiced
1 Tbls. finely chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
INSTRUCTIONS:
Season Tilapia with salt and pepper. Dust portions lightly with flour. Sauté the fish in peanut oil until they are nicely browned and cooked all the way through (about 2-3 minutes per side). When done, remove Tilapia, drain oil, add lemon juice, butter and parsley. Whisk to blend. Pour over Tilapia and serve. Serves 4.
============
TILAPIA PICATTA
INGREDIENTS:
4-6 Tilapia
½ cup dry white wine
2 lemons juiced
2 Tbls. chopped parsley
salt to taste
2 Tbls. whole capers
1 tsp. minced capers
4 Tbls. flour
4 Tbls. sweet butter
4 Tbls. peanut oil
INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat over to 450 degrees. Dust fillets with flour and brown in a heavy skillet over medium heat in the peanut oil 2 minutes per side. Remove fish and drain excess oil. Deglaze the pan with the white wine add butter and capers. Place the fish back into the pan and bake for 5-7 minutes, until firm. When ready, place fish on warm plates and add the lemon juice, salt and parsley back into the pan. Mix well and pour over the fish and serve. Serves 4.
==========
TILAPIA IN BEER BATTER
INGREDIENTS:
4-6 Tilapia fillets
Juice of ½ lemon
2 Tbls. chopped parsley
2 Tbls. cooking oil
Oil for deep frying
BEER BATTER
2 large egg yolks
½ cup beer
½ cup flour
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp baking powder
INSTRUCTIONS:
Cut fillets into 2" pieces. Put in a bowl with lemon juice, parsley, 2 Tbls. cooking oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat oil for deep frying. Dip pieces of fish individually into batter, and then into hot oil. Cook, turning and submerging pieces in the oil until golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels. Serves 4.
==============
TILAPIA PARMESAN SAUTE
INGREDIENTS:
4-6 Tilapia fillets
1 Tbls. olive oil
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbls. parsley flakes
2 Tbls. butter
1 Tbls. lemon juice
1 tsp. garlic powder
INSTRUCTIONS:
Mix Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, parsley flakes; set aside. Heat a large saute pan and add olive oil, butter, and lemon. Saute fillets 2-3 minutes per side until white and flaky. Sprinkle cheese mixture on fillets and saute each side for another minute, then serve. Serves 4.
===========
TILAPIA WITH GARLIC
INGREDIENTS:
4-6 Tilapia fillets
¼ cup plus 1 Tbls. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. olive oil
1 Tbls. unsalted butter
5 Tbls thickly sliced garlic
3 Tbls. all-purpose flour
4 Tbls. chopped fresh cilantro/parsley
INSTRUCTIONS:
Rinse and pat fillets dry. Place in a 2" deep glass or enamel-coated dish. Sprinkle with lime juice. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. In heavy skillet, combine oil and butter and heat over medium heat. Add the garlic and saut» just until lightly browned. Using a slotted spoon remove garlic and set aside. Remove fish (reserve lime juice), pat dry with paper towel. Dust lightly with flour, shaking off excess. Warm the skillet over medium-high heat, frying fish 2 to 3 minutes per side until brown and crisp outside and just done inside. Remove fillets to a warming dish. Reheat garlic, stir in lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Heat just until the cilantro begins to wilt. Pour over the fillets and serve. Serves 4.
==========
MARINATED GRILLED TILAPIA
INGREDIENTS:
4 Tilapia fillets
MARINADE
¾ c. olive oil
½ lemon, juiced
1 Tbls. oregano
½ tsp. black pepper
¼ c. red wine/balsamic vinegar
½ c. finely chopped parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 dashes Tabasco
INSTRUCTIONS:
Combine all ingredients, except fillets, in a large jar and shake well. Marinate fish in the marinade for 30 minutes. Remove fillets from marinade. Place fillets on hot grill elevated above coals. Cook 2-3 minutes per side. Serves 4.
SHORT CUT: Use your favorite Italian dressing or barbecue sauce in place of the marinade recipe.
==========
SUMMERTIME TILAPIA
INGREDIENTS:
4-6 Tilapia Fillets
2 medium carrots
2 celery stalks
1 small red pepper 4 oz. butter
1 T. lemon juice
2 chopped garlic cloves
1/4 c. white wine
INSTRUCTIONS:
Julienne all of the vegetables. Cut four 10" sheets of foil. Place equal amounts of mixed vegetables in center of foil sheets. Place a fillet on top of each vegetable mixture. Top fish with equal parts of the remaining four ingredients. Bring together long sides of foil, crimp together to form a tight seal. Fold over remaining edges and form a tight seal. Cook on outdoor grill for 10-12 minutes on medium-high heat.
=======
TILAPIA POPEYE
INGREDIENTS:
4-6 Tilapia fillets
10 oz. fresh, cleaned spinach
1/4 C. softened butter
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. chopped parsley
1/2 t. salt
Dash of hot pepper sauce
INSTRUCTIONS:
Poach Tilapia for 5-6 minutes. Steam Spinach for 1-2 minutes. Add remaining four ingredients to the softened butter, whip smooth. Arrange spinach on a plate. Then place Tilapia on top of the spinach. Finish with a dollop of the lemon butter on each fillet.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

oh my....

So many yummy choices. I am trying the tilapia with garlic first (since I have all those ingredients! lol)

TX Chef Fran
Old 04-15-2005, 07:31 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks, amberlane. These are great! I think that I am going to have to try the capers and lemon one.