Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-08-2004, 07:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Christmas candies

I am looking at making Christmas cookies and candies for family and friends this year. My problem is that I have no idea where to look for recipes for candies. I don't know what kind of candy I'm looking to make. I have never done this before, but I would love to give it a try. Something pretty simple, I have 2 little ones running around! If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them!!!

Thank You!!!!

Old 11-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Chocolates are pretty easy to make, especially if you buy the pre-made chocolate circles that you can melt in a dish on a warming tray. You can buy candy molds and fill them....even make chocolate lollipops too.

I have experience making a lot of chocolate candies so I can offer some advice in that area.

I will look for some more easy ideas for you and post them for you.

Meanwhile, have you checked out our Candy sub-forum here in the Recipe Exchange at FC? http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...p3?forumid=545

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 11-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Heres a simple and really good recipe for Cream Cheese Fudge
3oz. cream cheese
2 cups xxx(powered sugar)
1 1/2 oz. unsweetened choc. squares melted
1/4 tsb vanilla
dash salt
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Butter a pan, cream the chees and xxx sugar together. Add the choc. and mix. Stir inthe vanilla, salt, and nuts. Spread i [an. Chill until firm. I use an 8x8" pan for this.Keep in fridge. after making.

Good luck

Sandie
Old 11-22-2004, 04:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

RECIPES FOR CHRISTMAS CANDIES

I have a recipe for Old Fashioned Hard Candy. It is fairly easy to make and everyone loves it. The only thing I have found that might help you too is its best to make it with a gas stove. I have tried to make it on an electric stove and my candy ended up kind of sticky and gummy, not hard and brittle. And when it sat for awile the pieces all stuck together. Anyway here is the recipe:

2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cups light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1 dram (1tsp) LorAnn Gourmet Flavoring
Food coloring
Powdered sugar

In large saucepan, mix together sugar, corn syrup and water. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a boil without stirring. When syrup temperature reaches 260 degrees F, add color. Do not stir, boiling action will incorporate color into syrup. Remove from heat at 300 degrees F or when drops of syrup form hard, brittle threads in cold water. AFTER BOILING ACTION CEASES ADD FLAVORING AND STIR. USE CAUTION WHEN ADDING FLAVORING TO AVOID RISING STEAM. Pour syrup into lightly oiled candy molds or onto greased cookie sheet and score to mark squares. I usually keep scoring the candy until it gets hard. When cool, break into pieces and dust with powdered sugar to prevent sticking. Store in airtight container.

I hope you will enjoy doing this as much as we do at Christmas time.

Dawn
Old 11-22-2004, 04:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Here are some easy Christmas Recipes. These aren't my recipes so I have given credit to them at the bottom of this page. I have made most of them and they are easy to make!

Last Minute Christmas Gifts: Easy Homemade Candies
by Kim Tilley

Still looking for something for that hard-to-shop-for special someone? Give them candy! No time you say? These recipes are easy and delicious. They've become part of our family's Christmas tradition. Every year, we make candies and give Christmas pictures to our adult relatives. It's an easy, low-stress, low-money approach to the age-old question 'What I am going to get them for Christmas?'

Ohio Buckeyes
This recipe tops them all. It's so fattening that we only make it around Christmas time, and many of our friends and relatives enjoy receiving buckeyes as Christmas gifts. Some of our friends have offered to buy it off of us! For packaging, we often collect cookie tins all year to put them in. This year was not the best year for tin collecting (couldn't hit as many yard sales this year!), so I am spray painting baskets to give them in, and also using some colored plastic wrap tied with ribbon. You could also go the super easy route and just put them on paper plates and wrap with colored or clear plastic wrap.

1 16-18 oz jar creamy peanut butter

4 cups powdered sugar

1 cup (2 sticks) soft butter or margarine (leave at room temperature for an hour or two to soften)

1 12 oz bag chocolate chips (we use Aldi's - 79 cents a bag)

1/2 cake paraffin wax (found in canning section, yes, it's safe for eating)
1. Combine peanut butter, sugar and softened butter/margarine in very large bowl. Mix well, and roll into small balls about 1 inch in diameter. If balls are soft after shaping, refrigerate until hardened a bit.
2. Melt chocolate and paraffin together in double boiler or in small, deep bowl in the microwave, being careful not to overcook and burn the chocolate.
3. Use a toothpick or bamboo skewer to dip peanut butter balls in melted chocolate, leaving very top of balls without chocolate to look like a real buckeye. Set buckeyes on cookie sheets lined with waxed paper. Let cool, then remove and place in cookie tins (lined with plastic wrap).
Note These can be done ahead of time, and store well in the freezer or refrigerator. They are also pretty cheap to make if you use generic or store brand ingredients. Chocolate chips that taste more like dark chocolate (such as Aldi's brand, comparable to Nestle Toll House Morsels), do much better than the milk chocolate chips such as Hershey's.

Dipped Cookies
Super duper easy! Get the generic versions of Oreos and Nutter Butters for this recipe.

1 package white or chocolate Almond Bark

1 package generic Oreos, Nutter Butters, or other cookies (can be homemade sugars, chocolate chip, whatever)

sprinkles

waxed paper
1. Melt almond bark carefully in microwave. When hot, carefully dip cookies, one at a time, into almond bark, covering half of cookie. Place on waxed paper and shake on sprinkles.
2. Repeat for all cookies. Recommended combinations white almond bark with Oreos, chocolate almond bark with Nutter Butters.

Peppermint Crunch

1 package candy canes or peppermints

1 package white almond bark

1 hammer

Ziploc-type baggies

Waxed paper
1. Unwrap peppermints of candy canes and place in Ziploc. Seal.
2. Get out some pent-up aggression by pounding the candy to smithereens. Little chunks of candy should remain.
3. Melt almond bark carefully in microwave. Mix in crushed peppermints.
4. Pour into pans or cookie sheets lined with waxed paper. Let cool (best in refrigerator or freezer).
5. When cool, remove from waxed paper, break into bite-sized chunks and store in cookie tins.

No-Cook Peanut Butter Fudge

¾ cup peanut butter

½ cup margarine

½ cup light Karo syrup

1 tsp vanilla extract or maple syrup

3 ½ cups powdered sugar

½ cup cocoa

½ cup chopped peanuts
1. In a large bowl, beat together the first 6 ingredients. Knead mixture on a wooden cutting board until smooth. Work peanuts into fudge.
2. Pat candy into 8" square pan. Chill.

Snowballs
A bit delicate- they tend to break if shipped. This is a good gift to hand deliver, and perfect all wintertime! The kids love to help make these.

1 cup walnuts

1 cup margarine or butter, softened

½ cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour

¼ tsp salt

confectioners sugar to cover
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Finely chop the walnuts in a blender or food processor, set aside.
2. Cream together the margarine and ½ cup confectioner's sugar. Add the vanilla extract or maple syrup. Stir in the flour, salt and chopped up nuts.
3. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place them an inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake at 400 degrees until set but not browned- about 10 minutes.
5. Roll cookies in confectioner's sugar while warm and then again when they've cooled.
Makes about 4 dozen.

from dollarstretcher .com

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 11-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky Christmas Candies

I have lots of recipes for various christmas candies. If you e-mail me I will forward my file of these too you. Two years ago I took a christmas candy making class here in NC at a small shop, she gave us lots of these recipes. I really do not want to post them for eveyone, but I would be willing to share them one-on-one with you. Hope to hear from you soon!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Thanks!!

Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. I'm going to try to make some candies after Thanksgiving. I've never done it before, but I like baking and cooking and thought I could try more.
Thanks again and I'll have to let you know how it goes!!!

Happy (soon to be)Thanksgiving!!!

Old 11-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

These all look so good I was getting hungry just reading them. I have never made candy but I may give it a try this year.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

candies

Here is one that I thought was really weird,
but is quite tasty.

Potato Candy

2 table spoons real mashed potatoes
1 table spoon butter
1 teaspoon milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup peanut butter

Mix together potatoes, butter, milk and powdered sugar
Stir until the mixture becomes stiff (you may need to add extra powdered sugar until mixture becomes stiff enough).
Roll out mixture flat.
Spread peanut butter on top of mixture.
Roll up into a log and shape.
Put in refrigerator for approximately 1 hour.
The slice and enjoy!!!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

ajrsmom

hi i'm bhappy , on your no cook peanutbutter fudge calls for coco or is that melted chocolatechips wasn't sure, on your way to mix it can you help my son in law love peanutbutter fudge,,
god bless
sandy
bhappy