Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Recipe Request for No Sugar Pumpkin Pie

Hi Ladies
I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried making pumpkinpie with Splenda. Or if anyone has a recipe for a sugar free pumpkin pie. My FIL cant have sugar and he loves pumpkin pie. Thanks
Sandie
Everybody needs a little tender luvin Bear!
Old 10-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sandie - I've made both Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Pies using Splenda. I didn't try them myself but my Dad is already asking for me to make him some more when we go for Thanksgiving.

I'm sorry but I don't have a recipe. In both cases, I used my Mom's recipes and just substituted Splenda for the sugar.

I've also used Splenda in banana nut bread, pumpkin bread, snickerdoodles, cheesecakes........I know there's a few more things I've used Splenda in but can't think of them right now.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

pumpkin (sugarfree) pie

Thanks Abear , I do have a regular pumpkin pie recipe and a pumpkin cheesecake recipe, my main concern was if the Splenda changed the consistency of the pie.I ll give the Splenda a try, I used sweet and low once for baking and it came out awful

Sandie

A room without a teddy bear is like a face without a smile!
Old 10-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by sandieluvsbears
my main concern was if the Splenda changed the consistency of the pie.

Both pies looked the same as the ones my Mom made using sugar. So much in fact that we had to stick one of those colored toothpicks in the ones made with Splenda so everyone would know those two pies belonged to my Dad. It took my Dad a while but he eventually polished off both pies.

The first time I made Snickerdoodles with Splenda, it was for a reception following the first school band concert that DS # 1 was in. I made them to insure that there would be at least one goody there that DH could have (he is also a diabetic). I made about 6 batches of them and clearly labeled them as being sugar-free. They were gone before any of the other goodies there! I got numerous requests for the recipe. I just kept telling them to look in their cookbooks for a Snickerdoodles recipe and use Splenda in place of the sugar. They were all shocked!

Nothing that I have ever made with Splenda came out with a different texture.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Abear thats good to know they come out good. Ill let you know how they come out. Im making the Pumpkin Cheesecake for FIL's BDayand the Pies for Thanksgiving!! Now Im hungry!!

Sandie

Everybody needs a little tenderluvin BEAR
Old 10-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Have you checked out the Splenda website?

http://splenda.com/page.jhtml;jsessi...es/library.inc

There are a couple of pumpkin recipes there but I didnt see any pumpkin pie recipes yet.....but Im sure there will be some soon.

Splenda is made to take the high heat of baking while Sweet n Low and Equal turn bitter when heated to that high of a temp.

Thanks for the tip on just changing your regular pie recipe.

Just be sure to watch for any sugar in the crusts that you use.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-08-2004, 03:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This is the recipe I used when I was on the Atkins Diet. It doesn't have a crust but you could sure put it into one. I really like this and wait til you see the calories without a crust!!! This also uses egg substitute but you could use real eggs---that will add more calories!!!!

CRUSTLESS PUMPKIN PIE

1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated skim milk
Egg substitute equivalent to 3 eggs (usually 3/4 c.)
2 egg whites
Artificial sweetener equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar (2T. Sweet N Low Regular) or (1T. Sweet N Low Brown)-I prefer the brown
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
Light whipped topping, optional--I like Great Value Brand Fat Free

In a mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, milk, egg substitute, egg whites and sweetener; beat until smooth. Add the spices and salt; beat until well mixed. Pour into a 9 or 10 inch pie plate that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray.
Bake at 325 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. If desired, garnish with a dollop of whipped topping. Store in the refrigerator.

Yield: 8 servings. 70 calories pie only---with 2T. topping 85 calories
Old 10-08-2004, 04:03 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

diabetic pumpkin pie

Diabetic Pumpkin Pie RecipeView.com Yield:
4 Servings Preparation T
ime: 0000 1 Small sugar-free vanilla pudding1/4 Tsp nutmeg1 1/2 cups mil
k (whole (or nonf
Diabetic Pumpkin Pie

RecipeView.com

Yield: 4 Servings Preparation Time: 0000

1 Small sugar-free vanilla pudding1/4 Tsp nutmeg1 1/2 cups milk (whole (or nonfat))Artificial sweetener to equal 11 cup pumpkin, Canned-tsp. sug1/4 Tsp cinnamon1 baked 8-inch pie crust
Place pudding mix in a saucepan. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir
over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add
pumpkin, spices and sweetener; mix well. Pour into baked crust. Chill
until firm, about 3 hours.
Back to the index
Old 10-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thank you!!!

Thanks everyone Im gonna try them all!!My Fil will be thrilled!!
Ajrs mom I did check out the Splenda website and got a few good ideas there as well.Now Im hungry for Pumpkin Pie!!!!!

Sandie

Everybody needs a little tender luvin Bear!!
Old 10-08-2004, 05:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Since I can't use Equal (destroyes my short term memory!) I'm always looking for recipes with Splenda.

I have found that Splenda does not brown as well as sugar does, and in some recipes there is a consistency problem. Sugar adds a slight thickness / stickiness that Splenda does not add. There is a product that will deal with this:

ThickIt
http://www.brucemedical.com/thickit.html

Cheerio!
Elizabeth