Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members


Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Recipe Exchange Share your favorite recipes, or find some new ones!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 26
Who loves Mexican Cuisine???

I personally love Mexican food...grew up on it and no matter where i go i just craves those tacos and burritos from time to time. I have been trying to make Mexican food at home and some where successful some where just weird...

From soups like menudo to dessert like tres leches and flans. I must admit i had a blast cooking somewhat authentic Mexican feast but I infuse it with a bit of Asian, European and of course American.I know there are some great resto around but I still want to learn how to make it. As a single gal I usually cook for myself or if i have friends over cook for them. I am still learning these recipes...any suggesttions??
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2009, 02:23 AM
madmum's Avatar
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Yorkshire, Bradford UK
Posts: 1,100
To tell youthe truth I don't think I have ever trie mexican foods, maybe one day I wll have to give it a go :D
__________________


Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 26
try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmum
To tell youthe truth I don't think I have ever trie mexican foods, maybe one day I wll have to give it a go :D
You should really give it a try...its one of the best cuisne out there...you could start of with something simple like Tacos..or u can make it at home..there are ready made taco shell in the grocery..u can add the ingredients u want like ground beef or chicken..


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM
bar_bar's Avatar
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Froggie land
Posts: 17,202
Mexican mama, I not good cooking Mexican food but ooooo do I love mexican food, so did my husband. That was our fav food choice.

last weekend I went to a law enforcment event and there was a lady that made Mexican S"mores. They were so good. She used a flour tortilla to roll up the choc and marshmellows, then deep fry it. After wards she sprinkle powered suger on top.. ooo, girl they were good.

I also love making a Mexian salad. Easy to do as well.
fry up your hamburger meat with your taco seasoning it it, and take your lettuce, broken up chips, cheese, and combine these together. Stick it into the refrig for it to get cold. I like my cold as it adds all the flavors together, (my gd's like it warm, without being put into the refrig first) and after I allow it to chill, eat and enjoy.

I've also made taco dish by using cresent dinner rolls those that likes like a triangle. Roll them out with the larger part on the pan that you going to bake them on. Put your taco meat on the larger tips, add cheese and roll them up. Bake them like you would biscuits. As they get lightly brown take them out and you have a mexican roll pocket I guess you can call it that. They are good too.

but when it comes to taco and things like that I'm not good at doing Mexican foods.
Now I'm a single person, and I'm not cooking at all.. I will again one day but can't right now.

By the way it nice to met you, have you been over to the introduction page to introduce yourself yet. If not that a great place to do it, then the welcome team can proper welcome you to FC.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 AM
DeBora4BobbyL's Avatar
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 16,010
Mexican Mama, I LOVE Mexican and Tex-Mex food. Menudo will stink up your house so it is better to buy that already made at a place that makes good Menudo. Taco salad is VERY good, but it isn't authentic Mexican food.

Have you ever been to Mexico?

The best thing that you can do is get a good Mexican cookbook and just experiment. Some Mexican dishes are very difficult to make. Chilies Rellenos are difficult and to make it authentically, you need brown paper bags. When I was in Mexico, I had pinto beans for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I love them so that was great. You just need to soak the beans over night and then cook in water for several hours. I usually put mine in a crockpit with seasoning, salt pork, and diced tomatoes. Quesadillas are also easy to make. You can make then with either flour tortillas or corn tortillas. I place a tortilla in a lightly greased frying pan. I put shredded cheese and usually meat, like diced cooked chicken, sliced jalapenos, and more cheese. Then, I top it with another tortilla and brown on both sides on low heat.

Another thing that was a hit in Mexico were tortas. These are sandwiches that I usually got hot. They were made with special torta bread. Then, toasted with onions, jalapenos, meat, cheese, and so on. You can always get ideas online too.
__________________


Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook
.


FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 26
i feel so welcome her

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar_bar
Mexican mama, I not good cooking Mexican food but ooooo do I love mexican food, so did my husband. That was our fav food choice.

last weekend I went to a law enforcment event and there was a lady that made Mexican S"mores. They were so good. She used a flour tortilla to roll up the choc and marshmellows, then deep fry it. After wards she sprinkle powered suger on top.. ooo, girl they were good.

I also love making a Mexian salad. Easy to do as well.
fry up your hamburger meat with your taco seasoning it it, and take your lettuce, broken up chips, cheese, and combine these together. Stick it into the refrig for it to get cold. I like my cold as it adds all the flavors together, (my gd's like it warm, without being put into the refrig first) and after I allow it to chill, eat and enjoy.

I've also made taco dish by using cresent dinner rolls those that likes like a triangle. Roll them out with the larger part on the pan that you going to bake them on. Put your taco meat on the larger tips, add cheese and roll them up. Bake them like you would biscuits. As they get lightly brown take them out and you have a mexican roll pocket I guess you can call it that. They are good too.

but when it comes to taco and things like that I'm not good at doing Mexican foods.
Now I'm a single person, and I'm not cooking at all.. I will again one day but can't right now.

By the way it nice to met you, have you been over to the introduction page to introduce yourself yet. If not that a great place to do it, then the welcome team can proper welcome you to FC.

hi..hey i love the MExican s'mores..will give that a try. me love some tacos too especially your idea of the mexican roll pocket.i put tacos in dishes for extra crunch and add lemons to it for a zesty and tangy taste.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2009, 01:00 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 26
will go to mexico in the near future...i hope:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBora4BobbyL
Mexican Mama, I LOVE Mexican and Tex-Mex food. Menudo will stink up your house so it is better to buy that already made at a place that makes good Menudo. Taco salad is VERY good, but it isn't authentic Mexican food.

Have you ever been to Mexico?

The best thing that you can do is get a good Mexican cookbook and just experiment. Some Mexican dishes are very difficult to make. Chilies Rellenos are difficult and to make it authentically, you need brown paper bags. When I was in Mexico, I had pinto beans for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I love them so that was great. You just need to soak the beans over night and then cook in water for several hours. I usually put mine in a crockpit with seasoning, salt pork, and diced tomatoes. Quesadillas are also easy to make. You can make then with either flour tortillas or corn tortillas. I place a tortilla in a lightly greased frying pan. I put shredded cheese and usually meat, like diced cooked chicken, sliced jalapenos, and more cheese. Then, I top it with another tortilla and brown on both sides on low heat.

Another thing that was a hit in Mexico were tortas. These are sandwiches that I usually got hot. They were made with special torta bread. Then, toasted with onions, jalapenos, meat, cheese, and so on. You can always get ideas online too.

I can see that you enjoyed your trip to Mexico..i sure hope i can go there in the near future...yeah, pinto beans are great..especially refriend, i juts add a little seasoning and i can mix it with almost any dish. My mamita used to make tortas and it was great, she puts bacon bits on on as well as cheese, jalapenos and onions.,..great suggestion u have...hope we bump in the forums again...maybe u can share recipes here...
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2009, 12:06 PM
ajrsmom's Avatar
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Posts: 11,872
We love Mexican food in our house. My son can eat soooo many tacos at one sitting. I make chicken tacos a lot.

I've only heard of Menudo as being a boy band. ROFL!!! What is it food wise?

Bar_bar's recipe for Mexican s'mores sound heavenly!!
__________________


**
Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!





Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
CalGalInFla's Avatar
Contest Moderator
FamilyCorner Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Heart in the West...Head in the East..For Now...
Posts: 2,364
LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexican anything, except Flan. Otherwise, BRING IT ON!!!

The food in Mexico is not the same as it is in the USA, we add lots of stuff that they dont add. Dont care - authentic or otherwise, cant get enough.

J~
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2009, 07:42 PM
bar_bar's Avatar
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Froggie land
Posts: 17,202
how many of you make your own chips. I cut up the tortilla into triangles and deep fry them for my chips. Then I add my left over pinto beans, add cheese, pepper, and put them in the oven until the cheese melts. Nachos! they taste better this way too.

When the kids were growing up I fixed Nachos once a week. I soon will need to do it again, when I start cooking again.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sabor! A Passion for Cuban Cuisine + RECIPES! Amanda Books for Cooks 0 12-10-2008 10:13 AM
Mexican Themed Candle Party! chasingbutterflies Party Ideas 7 09-15-2007 11:47 PM
Coupon Chit Chat AnnaInOhio Coupon Cornerr 2014-2015 1476 01-03-2006 06:29 AM
lighter Mexican meals ladyIris23 Low Fat Recipes 1 10-05-2004 04:50 PM
Easter Mexican Shrimpcakes Shawn Seafood 0 08-05-2003 04:48 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

POPULAR AREAS OF FAMILYCORNER.COM

Our Family FunBook is packed full of ideas from parents just like you!

Our members say that they have never found a friendlier message board community than ours!

Our kid's craft section is filled with easy ideas for creative little minds.

We have tons of free printable coloring pages to keep your little ones happy.

We offer a wide variety of free newsletters delivered right to your inbox.

Our Household Hints & Tips have a wealth of information on cleaning, organizing, and more!
Go to the funbook Go to forums Go to kid's crafts Go to printables Go to newsletters Go to Hints & Tips

Home || Newsletters || Advertising || Terms of Use || Privacy || Services || Submissions || Contact Us || Media Opportunities || Link To Us || Shop || Feedback || Staff || e-Cards || Reminder Service



FamilyCorner.com® is sponsored in part by...




Visit our friends --> MomsMenu | Main Street Mom | She Knows | Baby University | Personal Fitness Zone | iChef.com

Copyright Notice | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use/Disclaimer