Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Recipe Exchange Share your favorite recipes, or find some new ones!

Old 08-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

we share a love for mexican food..

Im happy that we get to share our love for mexican food here...i hope y'all continue to share your recipes, experiences and questions here regarding mexican cooking...me i grew up on mexican food...we really cant get enough of it..lol
Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

which do u prefer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGalInFla
LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexican anything, except Flan. Otherwise, BRING IT ON!!!

The food in Mexico is not the same as it is in the USA, we add lots of stuff that they dont add. Dont care - authentic or otherwise, cant get enough.

J~

flan in an acquired taste...not everyone like it..for me its ok..depend on the creaminess of the batter...
which do u prefer the authentic mexican or the tex-mex??/
Old 08-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar_bar
how many of you make your own chips. I cut up the tortilla into triangles and deep fry them for my chips. Then I add my left over pinto beans, add cheese, pepper, and put them in the oven until the cheese melts. Nachos! they taste better this way too.

When the kids were growing up I fixed Nachos once a week. I soon will need to do it again, when I start cooking again.
\

Hi usually but chips from the grocery but i will try make my own chips one of these days..thanks for the advice
Old 08-18-2009, 03:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I make our on chips when they have the big pack of corn tortills on sale. I saves money on buying the bags of chips. Have you ever made ships from the flour ones.

Tree
Old 08-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

How about Mexican Desserts???

anyone fancy Mexican desserts???share your recipes here
Old 08-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't have no fancy desert recipe but I fo love the flour totilla with butter and cinnimon and honey.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Contest Moderator
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tree, I would never have thought to use tortillas for that purpose. Sounds YUMMY! Thanks, I think....

J~
Old 08-20-2009, 04:30 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yesterday was SUCH a stressful day and I needed comfort food. One cannot get menudo except on weekends. So, I got some asado! It made me feel better. I have a recipe for it and when I get back, I will try to find it and post it. It is an easy crockpot recipe too.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

i lvoe Mexican Fiesta Balls...great with coffee

Traditionally paired with wine or cervesa but I prefer coffee with it. We used to make it for holidays and stuff but when i have the time i try to make it for us at home.

Mexican Fiesta Balls

Ingredients -
1 cup butter, at room temperature
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups sifted flour
¼ cup cocoa
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped pecans, or walnuts, etc.
¼ cup chopped, well-drained red maraschino cherries
¼ cup chopped, well-drained green maraschino cherries
1 cup confectioners' sugar, for coating
Preparation:
Beat butter until light; gradually add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat to blend well.
Sift together flour, cocoa, coffee powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Blend in pecans and cherries; chill until easy to handle.
Shape dough into balls 1-inch in diameter and place 1-inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
Bake in slow oven ( 325 F ) 20 minutes.
Remove cookies to cooling racks and, while warm, roll in confectioners' sugar.
(Makes 5 dozen)
http://www.mexicandessertrecipes.net...esta-balls.php
Old 09-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I looooove Mexican food, both Mex and Tex-Mex. Growing up in Texas, depending on where you go, you'll get a lot of both!

One of my favorite weekend breakfasts is Chilaquiles. There are many recipes, some which include refried beans or sausage, but what I do is:

1. Break up some corn tortilla chips onto my plate
2. Sprinkle a little shredded cheese and salsa over the chips
3. Fry two eggs and place them on top of the chips, salsa and cheese (I fry them over medium so the whites are cooked and the yolk runs through the other stuff... yummy)
4. Top the eggs with just a little more broken chips, salsa, and cheese, and dig in!

Quesadillas are a frequent quick dinner in my house because you can fill them with anything: cheese, chicken, veggies, taco meat, leftover brisket, whatever. I even make dessert quesadillas for the kids sometimes! Just place your tortilla into the hot frying pan, and sprinkle half of it with baking chips- chocolate, white chocolate, butterscotch, whatever- then fold over the empty half and press down just a tad with your spatula so the sides "glue" together. Flip over once or twice so that both sides are golden brown and the chips are melted, and you'll have happy kids!

My older son is a big avocado fan, and he loves to help me make guacamole. De-seed the avocados and mash them; stir in some diced onions, tomatoes, garlic, and cilantro; squeeze a few lemon or lime drops in; salt and pepper to taste; and stir it all together.