Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Recipe Exchange Share your favorite recipes, or find some new ones!

View Poll Results: Do you shop for organic foods?
Yes, I try to purchase as much as possible from the organic section 8 7.92%
Sometimes, I buy certain foods, but not others 16 15.84%
Ocassionally, there are some things that I like 16 15.84%
No, we simply can't afford those prices on our budget 31 30.69%
No, just not interested in buying them 25 24.75%
We grow our own organic produce 11 10.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2005, 10:40 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Do you shop for organic foods?

Organic produce and other edible goods can be extremely costly. Many families have chosen to purchase certain items that are organic, while others go without completely due to the high costs involved. Do you shop for organic foods? Pehaps you grow your own?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 03-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I can't afford the organic produce, etc, on our budget. We do grow a lot of our own herbs and easy to grow produce as well as freqent local farmers markets in the summertime.

If you are coming to see me, come any time! If you are coming to see my house, make an appointment.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:01 PM
kellyandkids

Organic veges affordable if you co-op!

The survey has a problem in that some foods should be purchased organic and for some it doesn’t matter so much. And sometimes it just isn’t available organic. But nothing tastes better than organic produce. Just try the bananas. Yum.

Low contamination Fruits Vegetables
Pineapples
Plantains
Mangoes
Bananas
Watermelon
Plums
Kiwi Fruit
Blueberries
Papaya
Grapefruit
Avocado
Cauliflower
Brussels Sprouts
Asparagus
Radishes
Broccoli
Onions
Okra
Cabbage
Eggplant

Foods You'll Want To Buy Organic !
The fruits and vegetables listed below are EWG's latest list of produce with the heaviest load of pesticides. Always buy these foods organic if you can. If organic is not available, you may want to choose fruits and veggies that are consistently less contaminated.

Go organic only Fruits Vegetables
Peaches
Apples
Strawberries !
Nectarines
Pears
Cherries
Red Raspberries
Imported Grapes/raisens
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Celery
Potatoes
Hot Peppers
Root crops

I run an organic co-op. We get organic food at retail prices for commercially grown food. We work with a food wholesaler in St. Paul, MN. We sort at a house just a few miles from the wholesaler’s truck drop in Ramsey. As the produce isn't handled by a grocer and a multitude of customers, it is in the best shape and thus keeps really well. Our cost for mainly organic produce averages the same or less than retail!

Our co-op charges have a upfront charge of a one-time whopping $10 and then $1 gratuity at each pick up. This goes in no one’s pocket but covers whatever produce might arrive spoiled at the bottom of the box and stamps to mail in the bill. We rarely have spoilage but we did drop a box of strawberries last time. I made the executive decision wash 'em up and eat them as we sorted. So we split the cost of the strawberries with our gratuities. People are welcome to give us a try before formally joining.

Our group works without a minimum purchase. You need to indicate the range of say bananas that you want on a wishlist. You can request a case or just 3 bananas - your choice. Others groups are strictly by the case but I can't imagine presenting a whole case of romaine to a family of less than 5 or so. New groups can branch off of ours at anytime and make their own rules. It is a minimum $1000 per drop to get a new shipping location from the wholesaler.

Example: we purchase a 40 pound case of apples, then count them (usually 80 pieces), and divide by requested number of apples into Rubbermaid bins. Your expected order is emailed to you when the order is send in. Small adjustments can be made then. And we make small adjustments when we find we’ve gotten more or less than expected in a case also. Just a word to the wise, we will not always get what we order, and maybe not all of what we ordered, or a little more than we planned. That is the nature of cooperation.

Visitors are welcome; join anytime…if you live in the Twin Cities!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm growing my own herbs, lettuce, rocket, tomatoes, cucumber and beans.

Cheers

Lene
Old 03-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Would not mind buying organic if the price was better. I do buy it if only a small difference in price or watch for them on the reduced rack.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 03-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

i don't buy organic but my son's grandmother gives me lots of fresh stuff from her grove - avocados, apples, oranges, pears, pomegranates, lemons, limes, and eggs.

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 03-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Nine Year Member

I buy the organic if it is on sale at a good price. I'd love to buy organics more often, but they are so expensive.

Lauri

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 03-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I would rarely buy Organic because of the price.

Kelly&Kids...thanks for the heads up...we have a co-op in the next town over from us and I'll check it out the next time I head over there!

Sandra
Old 03-19-2005, 12:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ORGANIC FOOD

I EAT FRESH VEGGIES AND FRUIT, DOES THAT COUNT AS ORGANC, THE WORD ORGANIC JUST DOESNT SOUND GOOD. BUT I MIGHT TRY IT IF IT WASNT TO SPENDY.

HUGS
PATT
MISTICRAINS1
Old 03-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Nine Year Member

I don't buy organic-costs to much if I wanted to buy it. My cousin tries to grow some crops-corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, onions, peanuts without pesticides but sometimes needs to use them-but he does everything organically otherwise. I honestly can't say that I notice any taste difference, but I do like the convenience of having home grown instead of having to buy.