Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Real Estate

Old 05-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

House-hunting hints

What's your best tip for someone who's getting ready to start house-hunting?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

As someone who has relocated several times in the past, I've definietly gotten much better at it. I'd suggest starting on the internet just to get an idea of what out's there in your budget in the area you want to look in. Make note of those addresses - even if you don't look at that house, there are probably similar ones in the same neighborhood. Make sure your realtor shows you the types of houses YOU want to see (i.e. - old, ranch, neighborhood with trees, kids, parks, etc.) When we were looking for our current house, we wanted an older house in a neighborhood with a lot of trees. Our realtor showed us brand new houses in brand new developments for two whole days. We had to INSIST on her showing us houses in a certain neighborhood. We bought the second one she showed us in that neighborhood!

Kathy
Old 05-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Once you are ready to go and look at houses, bring a camera! It is so easy to let the houses get jumbled in your head. Also it is hard to keep track of what type of flooring there was, how many windows, etc.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think one of the things is to be preapproved for a mortgage amount so you know exactly how much you can afford. Take a tape measure with you to measure closets , windows etc. Bring a notebook and pen to jot notes about each place. Make sure you ask about what is included, are you looking for a place that includes appliances or not.......make s a big difference if you have to buy those after. Ask to see the occupants bills on hydro and oil, gas etc for the year so you have an idea of how much it will cost you. Make sure if it is a septic tank that you ask to have it pumped as part of the closing. Make sure you ask for a survey of the property. Ask if there has been any flooding. Check the attic for damage of any kind. Ask when the roof was last replaced(shingles) if it is due factor that into your asking price. How old are the windows? Ask what the taxes are . Check out the schools in the area......is it one you want your child to attend. Check out transportation systems if you are in a city. Is the yard fenced.....if there are sheds are they included. Is it on a main st or a quiet side street. Can your kids play safe?

I am sure there are many others but that is what came to mind right now.

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for all the wonderful tips. We have been preapproved and have looked at a few houses and some of them have gotten jumbled up but not the ones we like. We are hoping that the house we really like will go down in price soon. The only thing that I do not like is that it is on a very busy street and the back yard is not very big. But the house itself is exactly what we want.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Kay did you put an offer in on the house??? When we were looking for a house we ahd a very limited budget...my hubby really liked this house for the money we could spend but it was out of our price range.....It was listed at 95,000 and we put a bid in at 55,000. Now we did not get it for that much they countered and we countered etc and finally they accpted 69.000 for it. Now I know that does not always happen but what is the worst thing that can happen???? They just say no to the offer? We have a beautiful yard on a quiet street but the downside is a small bathroom but we have made due. I think in order to have the perfect house you almost need to build your own and even then most of us wish after that we had done something different. Hope you find the "perfect" home for you soon

hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes we made an offer and they countered but we could go for it but then we would be putting everything that we have in the house and would have nothing extra to put towards extra "stuff" for the boys to do. I would rather have the money for the boys to be able to do things and not have to tell them no all the time. It is a hard decision but my boys come first. Luckly our landlord is very patient and is not pushing us out of the house we are in now.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Did you make your original offer for the highest you would like to spend???? You can always counter their counter too. I am like you i did not want to be mortgage poor....I like to travel and do things with my kids so we made some sacrifices in buying this home but so far it has worked fine and if I was not such a packrat it would be perfect. If we stay here it is the perfect home for just hubby and I down the road.
Do the owners of the house you are looking at need to move???? If so do you know when by???? You may be able to put an offer in close to that time as many become desperate to sell.

Hugs debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

They are already moved out because it has nothing in it but junk and they have just recarpeted the whole house and put in new tile in the Kitchen and both bathrooms and are replacing the sliding glass doors.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If you are thinking of putting a bid on a house make sure you write in about the septic system, that if it is not functional per a test with qualified organization, that an allowance is made. Septic replacement and repairs are very expensive. Just because a toilet flushes doesn't mean the system is healthy.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."