Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 06-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well the house that we were looking at has been sold. I guess it wasn't meant to be ours. We will just keep looking.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Kay so sorry the house you wanted sold....I truely believe that everything happens for a reason and that you will find a house perfect for your family. Don't give up.

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I agree. I just hope we find something soon. I need to know where the boys are going to be going to school in the fall.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well I just checked the web for houses and found one that might work. We have just called our realtor and left a message since she goes to church on Saturdays. She should get back with us later today. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for the tips.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Good luck with your house hunting. I know that the rules and laws are all different in each state. A lot of the things that everyone is saying to check on would be part of the home inspection. As a realtor, just because you think the roof is too old or the appliances as long as they work and there is nothing wrong with them the day you sign the contract there is nothing you can do. They do not have to repair or make the changes. Now it would be nice of them, but normally they wont. Another thing that I learned when we bought this house was not to offer them too much under what they are asking because that is an insult to the sellers. Its like you telling them that their house is not worth what they think it is. Of course all sellers know that you will ask for less. If you give them full price, you could ask them for closing cost, home warranty, etc.

Good luck.
Tammy
Old 06-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Im so glad to see this thread! DH & I are planning on listing our house next spring, and we have been "window shopping" making a list of what we consider "musts" in our new home! Great tips! Here is a question, when looking at homes, what is the quickest thing that would turn you off from a home?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

A house that is messy and not too clean. When I look at a house, I figure that it should be shown in its best possible shape. If there's dirt that you can see, chances are routine maintenance has not been kept up with!
Old 06-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I would not buy a house that had mice. I am petrified (and thats putting it mildly) of them. Not too much would turn me off. I guess if it was falling down and was going to need a lot of work that probably would. When we were looking there was one that wasn't spotless and I actually liked it better than like that because I knew that it was "lived in". Each person is different.

Tammy
Old 06-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't worry too much about dirt and grime. I can always get it cleaned. In terms of having been kept up, we always have had our houses independently inspected, and have put in the initial contract that the inspection has to be passed.

What would turn me off is obvious major repairs needed - like torn up flooring, bad HVAC, leaking roof, etc.

We got the house we are in for over $15k under the asking because we found out it had been used to grow and distribute pot! It was a big hydroponic operation, and the seller got jailed! The landlord found out only when he realized he had not received rent for 3 months! He was out of state, and got a realtor to come by and check the house out. !!!!!!!!! OMG, they took over 4 double-wide dumpsters full of trash out of here! had to re-carpet, repaint, put in new bathtubs and sinks. By the time we saw it, it had been refurbished for over a year and no one would buy it. We offered about 18K less than their asking, they countered and we countered their counter and they snapped it up! With the improvements we've made on it, it's now worth about 40K more than we paid for it. :D

My best advice is to be sure you have a really good, attentive, active realtor working for you.

Good luck! This is a good time to be buying - housing market is starting into a slump, so there'll be more houses to look at, and the sellers will be cutting their asking in order to move them. The flip side of that is that if you are trying to sell you will have more problems. Best sellers markets generally are late summer - early fall. Best buyer's markets generally are late winter - early spring.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*
~*~ Sovereign ingredient for a happy marriage:
Pay cash or do without.
Interest charges not only eat up a household budget, awareness of debt eats up domestic felicity.
~*~ Robert Heinlein ~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*
Old 06-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Elizabeth,
I cant say I totally agree with what you are saying about the market. I guess different areas are different markets, but around here the market is starting to pick up and we are coming out of a huge slump. I cant agree that its a good market end of summer beginning of fall. People want to move in the summer if they have kids in school so that they start the year at a new school and not the middle of the year. All areas are different, but the market is starting to pick up here. Thank goodness. I need a paycheck. lol Yes I am a realtor. I definately agree about having a home inspection. I dont know why anyone would pass that up. Although the ones buying my townhouse did. crazy. How long have you been in your house? If you only have 40K in equity you must have just moved in the past couple years. I have about $75K in 3 years and thats after it took a fall of about $50K - $75K last year.

Tammy