Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-31-2006, 06:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Exclamation what to do??

Hello everyone

Has anyone out there had this problem?? We are a family of five, stay at home mom and tooo many bills to count? We are thinking of selling our home (a 4 bedroom, colonial, 15 miles north of Detroit) and moving to a modular home 1/2 the size, to "save" money for childrens college, retirement and for fun, etc.. Please let me know if you have done the same with good results or bad. I've already started the "purging" of all the stuff and I have it in my head that "I can do without all this stuff" (the tip I got the other day was to only touch the stuff once, so that your sentimental gene does not turn on, and it is so true). Thanks to anyone that can help.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi bdo3! Hope you will go to the introduce thread so others can welcome you also. Also there made be others who can help you. I'm a sahm but my kids are older in fact ds is 23,he works and help as he can with the bills. Dd is14 just started high school. Good luck on cutting back.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I've tried to write this post for 3 times, but nothing of the things I was typing was of any help. I wish you will be able to go through this without much lose. Kisses,

Stitches.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I'm am going to move your question to our "Money and Frugality" forum where, hopefully, you will get some more ideas.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Nine Year Member

You might want to weigh out what you would pay in real estate taxes and what you wouldn't if you had a trailer...sometimes having a mortgage is better and a house is one of the few investments a person has. Also, what is resale on mobile homes in your area? Do you own or rent the lot? I have heard that out west they are reputable but back here they are not considered prime real estate and usually lots are very poorly sited.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 09-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Nine Year Member

You might check out a recent segment that Oprah Winfrey did on "The Debt Diet" on her website. There was a lot of good information on cutting your daily costs and ways to cut the monthly bills as well.

If you don't already start watching the grocery sales and stock up on items your family uses and possibly matching the sale with coupons to get things cheaper or free.

Does your family qualify for HEAP, Free/reduced lunch program at school, or WIC if you have kids under 5. The amounts you are able to earn are pretty high and taking advantage of the programs would free up money to pay on other bills.

Roberta