Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Real Estate

Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question Pros and Cons of Purchasing a Mobile Home

Can someone gave me some insights or advices on what are the pros and cons of buying a mobile home, especially that hurricane season is here (Florida)? My hubby is strongly against buying a mobile home. He said that if a hurricane were coming, you would have to evacuate your mobile for safety purposes. I am not sure if my hubby is telling the truth with some exaggeration or he is telling the truth?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Basically, yes....in my opinion!

I wouldn't stay in a mobile home for any hurricane over a Category 1.

Even though I did not live in Florida at the time Andrew went through, I still remember seeing pictures of what he did to a mobile home community in southern Florida. It was devastating!!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mobile homes...

I have lived in mobile homes for years and years and years. I live in Texas. A good ol' fashioned Texas tornado would turn my mobile home into a pile of twigs. But they are few and far between where I live.

If I lived in Florida, I would NOT live in a mobile home. I think that would not be the best choice. You would definitely have to evacuate. Even a strong straight wind of 50-65 mph can be pretty rough on a mobile home.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The pros are that a mobile home is mobile and is great if you move a lot and they are cheaper than built with sheetrock. Also, you may pay less in property taxes.

As for the cons:

If you live in a place where tornados or hurricanes can happen--you cannot be safe--at all! Also, you cannot repair the walls like you can with sheet rock. They depreciate rapidly. They are cheaply built. Also, if you need to do repair work you may have to go to a specialty place to get your supplies. One more thing, watch the appliances, such as a dishwasher, because they usually put the cheapest possible products inside. Request that they replace it with a better product before you sign any papers. That way you won't be replacing products the day after the warrenty goes out.

Good luck!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

i live in a triailer in illinos in tornado alley. right now i live on my moms land, and if i feel unsafe, i run to her house 100 feet away and hide with my kids. but id not live in one if i had the money for ahouse. its just not safe. the last storm we had, cuased over 6000 worth of damage and that was just wind damage. no trees fell on my house or car. just not safe enough i guess. my opion only.
hth
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 07-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Mobile Homes

Bought my DS a doublewide mobile home in 1989. It is on its own land. Do not have to pay lot rent so the land has gone up in value.

So far it has been on this land since 1980 with no problems. Last year it held up through 3 hurricanes. We were nervous each time we came back to see how it was. It has all steel frame underneath even the beams. Changed all the jalousie windows to make it more air tight.
It has all wood paneling in all the rooms cuts down on painting.

Just had a large tree with branches extending fifty feet cut down the other day. Even had branches from the next door neighbors tree cut that were extending over our house and property. Hopefully he will have some of his cut too. It is a great way to live without paying high rent. Not all areas had damage to mobile homes.

The manufactured homes they are selling now are like regular homes with high ceilings and large rooms. The bathrooms have hot tubs and kitchen with latest equiptment. They have gone up in cost in the last few years.

Think a doublewide is more stronger and heavier than a single. The attachments like screen rooms suffer the most damage.

They don't appreciate in value like a regular home and are hard to get mortgages or loans on.

Unless you get a very good buy think twice.
_______
Sueanne

Old 07-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Friend of the Family

Who's this guy?
FamilyCorner Newbie

Here's my 2-cents, for what it's worth: I have family near Palm Bay, FL (Melbourne area). My grandfather & father have lived down there for over 50 years, and last year was the first time they suffered damage from a hurricane. They both live in double-wides, with sunrooms attached and carports. My dad suffered damage on one side of his home, my grandfather lost his sunroom, his carport and the laundry room roof; only recently did he get a new sunroom and carport (11 mos. later). They are very concerned about the current hurricane season.

I guess it really depends on what part of FL you live in, but really, just about every state has some type of major weather catastrophes at times (tornadoes, hurricanes, quakes, etc.). Personally, I would never live in a mobile home, especially where there are active hurricane and tornado problems.

Don't know if I was any help; hope so!
Old 07-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have lived in a DW for the last 11 years and HATE IT! Rented one for a little over 5 years and then bought one when we moved. If we'd had the money for a house, we'd have bought one. We couldn't even get anyone to rent a house to us b/c we had 6 kids at home back then...that's why we had to buy one in the first place.

We bought our home in 1998. It was not "put together" right on the lot and now we are having lots of problems with it starting to come apart down the seam in the middle. When we moved in, I told them the house was not leveled properly. I could set my rectangular kitchen table one way & it would wobble...setting it the other way, it did not. They came out a couple of times, but basically did nothing. I have doors that are opening/closing by themselves (depending on which side of the house they are on). Now, in order to "fix" this, I'd have to pay someone to come out and re-do the house. I don't have that kind of money -- I am going to check into my warranty they gave us to see if this is covered. We've had to replace the vinyl flooring in the kitchen b/c it has "warped" in three places and had worn thin. Adjuster said it was "water damage" -- IN 3 PLACES...it was the support beams under the house, but he didn't want to admit that b/c then they'd have to pay.

Every time the wind blows hard, it comes right through our house, even with "double windows".

I've seen some homes made in North Dakota/Minnesota area....they are built almost like a regular house...real windows (Anderson), window sashes, regular construction and insulation, but not around here (NC). Thankfully, where I live, by the time a hurricane got to us, the winds have died down somewhat. So unless it's very severe, I can stay in my home...I don't have anywhere to go anyway...closest shelter is over 4 miles away (if they open it for an emergency situation -- it's a school building).

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thank you ladies. Hubby already told me and I wanted to get second opinion to see if the pros will outweigh the cons, seems like there are more cons than pros. I guess I am going to have to wait ‘till I get money and have better credit.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Luz, good luck when you do decide to move.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!