Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-05-2002, 05:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We're buying a house!

I'm so excited! The landlords that we rent from now are selling off a bunch of their rental properties, and since we've rented from them for nearly 2 years, they offered to let us have one of their houses. We don't qualify for a FHA loan because of outstanding child support owed by hubby. But that's ok, 'cause they're gonna finance it for us!

It'll be a 10 year mortgage, and the payments will be a whopping $275 per month!

It has 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms, central a/h, dishwasher, disposal, brand new fridge and stove, and fenced in yard. It's not in the best neighborhood, but it could be a lot worse.

We're gonna pay about $25K for it, all told.

~*Dancing for joy*~
Old 05-05-2002, 07:42 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

That is absolutely wonderful!! I could cry for you. What a blessing! I'm very, very happy for you. I realize I don't even know you, but that made my night!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2002, 06:36 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Congrats (again )

Wonderful news for you Gina!
Old 05-06-2002, 07:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Congratulations,Gina!

I hope you enjoy it to the fullest!

Jenna
Old 05-07-2002, 03:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Enjoy your new home, I am sure you will love it!!!!!!

Wow, what a great price too.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

That is my happy dance for you! We just got a house too! We closed on Friday. It's somewhat of a fixer-upper. Enjoy all the nice things about your house.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good Luck to you in your new home!
Old 06-05-2002, 04:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Congratulations on your new house. My husband and I are in the process of looking for one. It is getting very discouraging but we are not going to give up. The one house that I fell in love with is near a quary and once they start blasting closer to the house we know we will have problems so that is out. You are getting a great deal on the house. It is a wonderful feeling to know that you are finally going to own instead of rent.

Peggy
Old 03-29-2004, 07:57 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Buying a home

Hello.
Well I dont know how many of you rent?
But we have been renting for a very long long time.
Now that we have relocated we are feeling that this will be the area that we want to settle down.
However buying a home is a major purchase.
We have been looking at homes for the last 2 weeks.
Does anybody have suggestions for first time buyers.
Questions to ask?
Things to consider before signing the deal.
Just curious. This will be our second home that we have purchased. Just wondering if anybody else had special hints to buying a home.
Anxious to settle in.
Just thought I would chat a little on it.
Thanks for you support.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Been in our home 8 years but lets see what I can remember. Also my best fr. is a realtor-I am always learning from her and "filing" things away in my brain.

1. make sure you have a good realtor that is working for YOU. Do shop around to make sure you click with one.
2. If they aren't doing their job or what you like/expect, let them know, they are not mind readers.
3. Personnally I would not sign a long contract with one. Maybe 30-60 days at most with option to renew. Ran into a snafu 2 houses ago. Our guy was a big dope and we couldn't get rid of him. (b4 friend came along btw).
4. EVERYTHING is negotiable.
5. follow your inspector around and ask tons of questions.
6. Look under the sinks and in other nooks & crannies when checking out houses. Lots of things can be hidden-bad pipes etc.
7. If you have kids, consider locations to schools and if there are good ones in your area. somewhere on the internet there is a site to tell all about schools.
8. when you settle on an area you want to move, check to see if sex-offenders live in the neighborhood. In IL the site lists their addresses and pictures too.
9. Drive around at all times of the day or night to see what the neighborhood is really like.

Good luck and have fun!